Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dental plan!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Mulder: There's been another unsubstantiated UFO sighting in the
    Heartland of America. We've gotta get there right away.

Scully: Well... gee, Mulder, there's also this report of a shipment of
    drugs and illegal weapons coming into New Jersey tonight.

Mulder: I hardly think the FBI is concerned with matters like
    that.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭eoin1981

Bart to Santa

Listen here, Kringle, I may have been naughty this year. But by today's standards, naughty's nothing. I didn't get anybody pregnant, I didn't Facebook a kid to death.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,410 ✭✭✭Riddle101

eoin1981 wrote: »
    Bart to Santa

Listen here, Kringle, I may have been naughty this year. But by today's standards, naughty's nothing. I didn't get anybody pregnant, I didn't Facebook a kid to death.

Which episode did this happen?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭gregers85

Mulder: There's been another unsubstantiated UFO sighting in the
    Heartland of America. We've gotta get there right away.

Scully: Well... gee, Mulder, there's also this report of a shipment of
    drugs and illegal weapons coming into New Jersey tonight.

Mulder: I hardly think the FBI is concerned with matters like
    that.

Riddle101 wrote: »

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1628667/

pretty funny episode

• Advertisement

Hmm I want to laugh at that quote, but part of me thinks The Simpsons are just trying too hard to be hip and with it. Like a father trying to be cool or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

Bart to Santa

A new episode... *sighs*

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

• Registered Users Posts: 3,998 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

Amalgam wrote: »
    PrettyBoy wrote: »
    A new episode... *sighs*
    'Nuff said.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Pfft the simpsons got cancelled 15 years ago; Don't be mocking up videos of fake episodes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,394 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Hmm I want to laugh at that quote, but part of me thinks The Simpsons are just trying too hard to be hip and with it. Like a father trying to be cool or something.

If you have to want to laugh, then you're not with it - and you probably can't remember what "it" is and, besides that, it's not enough to want to laugh, you have to earn it, beause when you reach over and put your hand into a pile of goo that was your best friend's face, you'll know what to do!! Forget it Marge, it's Chinatown!!!

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Sideshow Bob: [after his demands are met] Yes. They're giving in.
    [pause]
    Sideshow Bob: Blast. I should've made more demands. Like some tasty marmalade... Well, maybe next time...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

I don't care what ye say, there are still good moments in the newer episodes. Granted, they're not reaching the highs of the earlier series, but this "Ush, new episodes... I haven't watched since series 8 but I know every new episode is terrible" attitude really irks me.

Carl: I don't get it. What's so "great" about this depression?
    Lenny: I like how everything's in sepia tone. Makes me all nostalgic.
    Abe: I didn't think it would come to this when I fought in the First World War.
    Lenny: "First World War"? Why do you keep calling it that?
    Abe: Oh, you'll see!

Utah Minister: So, how many wives will you be marrying today, Mr Simpson?
    Bart: Just one
    Utah Minister: What, are you gay?

so if it was from an older episode you would laugh?
    wnolan1992 wrote: »
    I don't care what ye say, there are still good moments in the newer episodes. Granted, they're not reaching the highs of the earlier series, but this "Ush, new episodes... I haven't watched since series 8 but I know every new episode is terrible" attitude really irks me.

well said. just like most episodes you need to watch them a couple of times to get all the gags.

lisa: bart, i somehow hate you and feel sorry for you. i'm sure the germans have a word for it.

Bart to Santa

Don't understand why anyone would laugh at that, it's just not funny. The Simpsons just aren't funny anymore, they're just desperately trying to be relevant and the jokes are suffering because of it. Take the last few posts for example.

"I didn't get anybody pregnant" - MTV 16 and Pregnant / Teen Mom reference, cringe-worthy.
    "I didn't Facebook a kid to death" - self-explanatory, I'm sure they've made jokes about Twitter and Myspace too.
    "LemonParty.org" - how is this in any way appropriate? I know the show has always touched on adult themes but is it really necessary to make a clear reference to something like this? The writers today are absolutely desperate.

The movie was awful and the majority of fans agree that the show has gone from bad to worse over the years. I actually remember when I was younger myself and my brother would never miss a new episode, every Sunday on Sky 1 and my parents would actually watch it with us and they'd enjoy it too. I don't know a single person, young or old, that would watch a new episode today. I've seen more than a few and they're just terrible. No other sitcom has fallen from grace quite as badly as The Simpsons has.

A couple of weeks ago I watched the Christmas episode where Bart steals the video game, actually laughed out loud at a few of the jokes, it was brilliant in the 90's but the 90's are long gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭dttq

Love the Frank Grimes episode.

Frank Grimes: "There's my degree, I'm sure [to Lenny and Carl] you have one too"

Lenny: "Of course, both me and Carl have a Masters. Old Homer here didn't need a degree, he just showed up the day they opened the plant"

Homer: [Chuckling] "Yeah, I didn't even know what a nuclear panner plant was"

Or the part were Homer is stuffing his face,

Frank Grimes: "My god he eats like a pig"

Lenny: "I don't know, pigs tend to chew, Id say he eats more like a duck"

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

PrettyBoy wrote: »
    Don't understand why anyone would laugh at that, it's just not funny. The Simpsons just aren't funny anymore, they're just desperately trying to be relevant and the jokes are suffering because of it. Take the last few posts for example.

"I didn't get anybody pregnant" - MTV 16 and Pregnant / Teen Mom reference, cringe-worthy.
    "I didn't Facebook a kid to death" - self-explanatory, I'm sure they've made jokes about Twitter and Myspace too.
    "LemonParty.org" - how is this in any way appropriate? I know the show has always touched on adult themes but is it really necessary to make a clear reference to something like this? The writers today are absolutely desperate.

The movie was awful and the majority of fans agree that the show has gone from bad to worse over the years. I actually remember when I was younger myself and my brother would never miss a new episode, every Sunday on Sky 1 and my parents would actually watch it with us and they'd enjoy it too. I don't know a single person, young or old, that would watch a new episode today. I've seen more than a few and they're just terrible. No other sitcom has fallen from grace quite as badly as The Simpsons has.

A couple of weeks ago I watched the Christmas episode where Bart steals the video game, actually laughed out loud at a few of the jokes, it was brilliant in the 90's but the 90's are long gone.

I disagree, but at least you've given them a shot. Can't ask for much more.

I know people who point blank refuse to watch any episode after about series 10, and use the catch all "Ugh, new episodes are sh*t." to justify it. There are some awful episodes in the recent series, but IMO there are still great moments on offer too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

I know people who point blank refuse to watch any episode after about series 10, and use the catch all "Ugh, new episodes are sh*t." to justify it. There are some awful episodes in the recent series, but IMO there are still great moments on offer too.

I only have to turn on a new episode for a second and hear homer's annoying robotic voice to make me switch channels. Even the non funny bits in old episodes are enjoyable and full of character. The new episodes cause me pain to watch. It's fukcing hard work sitting through that crap.

They have made homer into a fukcing retard with no personality. The writers now think that homer simply being dumb is what made him funny. They don't get it.

I only have to turn on a new episode for a second and hear homer's annoying robotic voice to make me switch channels. Even the non funny bits in old episodes are enjoyable and full of character. The new episodes cause me pain to watch. It's fukcing hard work sitting through that crap.

They have made homer into a fukcing retard with no personality. The writers now think that homer simply being dumb is what made him funny. They don't get it.

there were a few seasons were it wasn't great (wacky adventure type of episodes) but its gone back to its character based stuff such as bart and lisa having problems at school and is all the better for it.

no show is ever going to be as good as the simpsons was in its prime.

thread is losing focus though so lets continue the quotes....

You should never raise a hand to a child. Just stop cutting the crust off their sandwiches. They'll soon get the message.

No my point is that it was unfunny to me. I get what the joke is about, and I can see the humor in it, but it doesn't do anything for me because it looks like they're trying too hard as I said. They're trying to be like South Park with the newer episodes, without being too offensive. Which doesn't work.

And no, I wouldn't laugh if it was in an older episode.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭dttq

Another good episode is the one with the chilly cook off festival. Homer promises Marge not to drink during the festival as a condition for going. He then goes to Chief Wiggums tent to try the ultra hot pepper, which the second it hits his tongue sets it on fire.

He's running around looking for something to cool his tongue down. Then he finds a few beers on the table which he knocks down altogether not realising Marge could see him. He also sounds drunk because he can't talk properly with the burning tongue. Bit where Marge catches him

Marge: Homer! You promised me you wouldn't drink

Homer: But I need it!

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭murphm45

One of my personal favorites!

Scorpio: Good afternoon, gentlemen. This is Scorpio. I have the Doomsday Device. You have 72 hours to deliver the gold or you'll face the consequences. And to prove I'm not bluffing, watch this. [activates a remote - an explosion occurs near the UN building]
    English UN member: Oh, my God, the 59th Street bridge!
    Indian UN member: Maybe it just collapsed on its own.
    English UN member We can't take that chance.
    Indian UN member: You always say that. I want to take a chance.
    Scorpio: Collapsed on its own? You, sh... You have 72 hours. See ya.

I refuse to watch them because I've seen every episode up to the 5th or so of the current season and have decided to stop because I don't think it'd be fair on my family if I committed suicide.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

Naval Recruiter: Daybreak, Jakarta. The proud men and women of the Navy are protecting America's interests overseas, but you're in Lubbock, Texas hosing down a statue, because your in the Naval Reserve. Once you complete basic training, you only work one weekend a month, and most of that time your drunk of your ass. The Naval Reserve: America's 17th line of defense, between the Mississippi National Guard, and the American League of Women.

Great episode

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭michaelr666

Homer: NEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRDDDDDDDDD

later

Homer: hey get a load of the nerd?
    random guy: pardon me?

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Kilkenny14

dttq wrote: »
    Another good episode is the one with the chilly cook off festival. Homer promises Marge not to drink during the festival as a condition for going. He then goes to Chief Wiggums tent to try the ultra hot pepper, which the second it hits his tongue sets it on fire.

He's running around looking for something to cool his tongue down. Then he finds a few beers on the table which he knocks down altogether not realising Marge could see him. He also sounds drunk because he can't talk properly with the burning tongue. Bit where Marge catches him

Loved that episode for Johnny Cash alone.

Also: Homer to Chief Wiggum on eating the forbidden chilli

"Well chief, don't quit your day job....whatever it is!"

• Registered Users Posts: 9,495 ✭✭✭Heroditas

dttq wrote: »

Looks like THIS GUY ate some of the same chillies too! :D

From the Australia episide
    Marge: I'll just have a cup of coffee.
    Bartender: Beer it is.
    Marge: No, I said coffee.
    Bartender: Beer.
    Marge: Cof-fee.
    Bartender: Be-er.
    Marge: C-O...
    Bartender: B-E...

Australian man: You call that a knife? This is a knife!
    Bart: That's not a knife. That's a spoon.
    Australian man: Alright, alright, you win. Heh. I see you've played knifey-spooney before.

Bart: Mom, Dad, just so you don't hear any wild rumors, I'm being indicted for fraud in Australia.
    Homer: That's no reason to block the TV.

Bruno: Ooh! Ah, that's it. I'm going to report this to me member of Parliament. [yells out window] Hey, Gus! I got something to report to you.
    [Gus tends his swine]
    Gus: That's a bloody outrage, it is! I want to take this all the way to the Prime Minister. [they go down to a lake] Hey! Mr. Prime Minister! Andy!
    Andy: [floating naked on an inner tube with a beer] Eh, mates! What's the good word?

Marge: We have them in America. They're called bullfrogs.
    Clerk: What? That's an odd name. I'd have called them "chazzwazzers".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Knifey Spoony

Australian man: You call that a knife? This is a knife!
    Bart: That's not a knife. That's a spoon.
    Australian man: Alright, alright, you win. Heh. I see you've played knifey-spooney before.

You spelt my name wrong!

:p

Advertisement