Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dental plan!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,998 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

I hear that Shearer leaving hasn't been set in stone yet and that they're still in negotiations regarding him staying.

Wait, nevermind. It's official.

http://money.cnn.com/2015/05/14/media/simpsons-harry-shearer/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

Harry Shearer has left the simpsons

GAME OVER

Up yours, children!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,710 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Can anyone pin down when it all went wrong for the Simpsons? It has not been good in at least 15 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

No more Smithers or Reinier Wolfcastle. :(

While Shearer's characters are largely just background guys, and realistically the show could go on without him, I really hope they just call it a day. I'll defend current day Simpsons a lot, but I don't want to see it wither and die as more and more actors leave, just end it. Have a few last episodes, tie stuff up, and bow out with a bit of grace.

Can anyone pin down when it all went wrong for the Simpsons? It has not been good in at least 15 years.

I'm going back and watching the older episodes now. I've made it as far as Season 11 and cracks are starting to show but it's still generally very good. A lot of people pin it to the start of Season 9 but I say that's hooey, that season was still filled with classics. It was a slow decline, it didn't happen overnight. It was just that subsequent seasons gradually had fewer and fewer hits until you got to where it is now where it's like finding a needle in a haystack.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭Wise Old Elf

^^
    Well said it's hard to see how it would continue without all those supporting characters. Getting someone else in to voice them would probably never sound right.

Spotted a bit of the Germans episode...
    Mmmm, the land of chocolate.

We were talking about chocolate?
    Zat was ten minutes ago!

The funny thing is, there's a scene at one point where Homer is like:

"Producers love animated shows because they don't have to pay the writers squat!"

Ned walks by the window and says in a completely different voice:

"And you can chance the actors and no one can tell the dil-diddly-ifference!"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭frostyjacks

C14N wrote: »
    I'm going back and watching the older episodes now. I've made it as far as Season 11 and cracks are starting to show but it's still generally very good. A lot of people pin it to the start of Season 9 but I say that's hooey, that season was still filled with classics. It was a slow decline, it didn't happen overnight. It was just that subsequent seasons gradually had fewer and fewer hits until you got to where it is now where it's like finding a needle in a haystack.

The humour changed around then from family based plots to increasingly wackier and nonsensical guff. There was a sincerity around the early seasons that disappeared over time. I feel a twinge of sadness when I see the new episodes, like watching an old dog ready to be put to sleep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 936 ✭✭✭JaseBelleVie

Cliché alert: "The Principal and The Pauper" (the Armin Tamzarian episode) was where the decline truly started. Everyone says it, but I believe it. Before that episode, it was gold. Up until about Season 10/11, it was good, but not great. After that, it's time to pull the ripcord and get the hell out.

Season 11 is arguably the last season that is even half-decent. Some good episodes in there, but nothing comes close to scaling the heights of the Golden Era.

The Simpsons is as old as I am. It was a key part of my childhood and beyond. Now, it is sad to see it in such a sorry state. But that still doesn't take away from the fact that, at its peak, it was the best thing on Television (or damn near it anyway).

On topic:

"This so called new religion is nothing more than a bunch of repetitive chants and tricks designed to take away the money of fools! Now, let us say the Lord's Prayer forty times, but first, let's pass the collection plate!" :D

I don't understand why people don't like the Armin Tamzarian episode. I only found out recently that's it's so hated by the internet.

I thought it was a really fun episode. Tamzarin coming home from Vietnam and Mrs. Skinner shouting at him to go up and clean his room, then telling him here it was. The Vietnam flashbacks of Tamzarian being cocky as f*ck. "An enjoyment buzzer!". "Hey America you're so fine, you're so fine you blow my mind. America." *fart noise*. Running Skinner out of town at the end. The whole going to the city to get Tamzarian back scene (the car ride there with Homer asking why he and everyone else was there, the scene in the apartment with Armin's copy of Swank).

I read the quote from Shearer on his Wiki page when I was looking up the list of characters he plays, and honestly it's nonsense. "People had invested 8/9 years in a thing and you just threw it in the trash." Eh, no. They had a laugh for an episode, then poked fun at themselves at the end with the "And we'll never speak of this again" spiel. Calm the f*ck down like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭reap-a-rat

Harry Shearer has left the simpsons

GAME OVER

Game over. Please deposit 40 quarters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭ivytwine

^^
    Well said it's hard to see how it would continue without all those supporting characters. Getting someone else in to voice them would probably never sound right.

Spotted a bit of the Germans episode...
    Mmmm, the land of chocolate.

We were talking about chocolate?
    Zat was ten minutes ago!

Just back from Germany. I quoted that a lot. And ate a lot of chocolate.

Chocolate- half price!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

ivytwine wrote: »
    Just back from Germany. I quoted that a lot. And ate a lot of chocolate.

Chocolate- half price!

But beware. Ve Germans are not all smiles und sunshine!

But beware. Ve Germans are not all smiles und sunshine!

Oh no! The Germans are coming to get me! Oh, I'm so scared, the Gerrrrmans!

:P

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    I don't understand why people don't like the Armin Tamzarian episode. I only found out recently that's it's so hated by the internet.

I thought it was a really fun episode. Tamzarin coming home from Vietnam and Mrs. Skinner shouting at him to go up and clean his room, then telling him here it was. The Vietnam flashbacks of Tamzarian being cocky as f*ck. "An enjoyment buzzer!". "Hey America you're so fine, you're so fine you blow my mind. America." *fart noise*. Running Skinner out of town at the end. The whole going to the city to get Tamzarian back scene (the car ride there with Homer asking why he and everyone else was there, the scene in the apartment with Armin's copy of Swank).

I read the quote from Shearer on his Wiki page when I was looking up the list of characters he plays, and honestly it's nonsense. "People had invested 8/9 years in a thing and you just threw it in the trash." Eh, no. They had a laugh for an episode, then poked fun at themselves at the end with the "And we'll never speak of this again" spiel. Calm the f*ck down like.

I had seen that episode many, many times before finding out, years later, that it was the internet's least favourite episode. I honestly think very few people I know who don't read about the Simpsons online would know about it either. I really feel like that was a moment that proved that the world collectively took the Simpsons way too seriously because it messed with the backstory of one supporting character who, at that point, had barely been given much in the way of characterisation anyway. I understand the hate for Homer vs Dignity or Co-dependant's Day but Principal and the Pauper really didn't do much wrong apart from disregarding the show's already very flimsy continuity.

C14N wrote: »
    I had seen that episode many, many times before finding out, years later, that it was the internet's least favourite episode. I honestly think very few people I know who don't read about the Simpsons online would know about it either. I really feel like that was a moment that proved that the world collectively took the Simpsons way too seriously because it messed with the backstory of one supporting character who, at that point, had barely been given much in the way of characterisation anyway. I understand the hate for Homer vs Dignity or Co-dependant's Day but Principal and the Pauper really didn't do much wrong apart from disregarding the show's already very flimsy continuity.

I just Google'd Homer Vs. Dignity to find out which episode it is...

I frickin' love that episode!

"Baby make a boom-boom!" "There was a terrible line for the ladies rooms o I'll just- Oooh!" :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Head Beekeeper: To the Bee mobile!
    Beekeeper: Don't you mean your Chevy?
    Head Beekeeper: Yes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Homer: Aw, I've never been so miserable in all my life. But I can't take it out on Marge and the kids … I've gotta carry the burden all by myself. (walks in) Hi, honey, how are you?
    Marge: Well, actually…
    Homer: Aw, I can't go on with this charade any longer! I hate my job, I hate my life, and ever since I found out about this baby there's been nothing but bad luck.
    Marge: My contractions started an hour ago.
    Homer: It's just in one ear and out the other with you, isn't it, Marge?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

On one of my frequent trips to the ground I noticed Molloy wore sneakers. For sneaking . . . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

The year was 1968. We were on recon in a steaming Mekong delta. An overheated private removed his flack jacket, revealing a T-shirt with an ironed-on sporting the MAD slogan "Up with Mini-skirts!". Well, we all had a good laugh, even though I didn't quite understand it. But our momentary lapse of concentration allowed "Charlie" to get the drop on us. I spent the next three years in a POW camp, forced to subsist on a thin stew made of fish, vegetables, prawns, coconut milk, and four kinds of rice. I came close to madness trying to find it here in the States, but they just can't get the spices right!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭Rawr

Scorpio!
    He'll sting you with his dreams of power and wealth.
    Beware of Scorpio!

His twisted twin obsessions are his plot to rule the world
    And his employees' health.
    He'll welcome you into his lair
    Like the nobleman welcomes his guest
    With free dental care and a stock plan that helps you invest!

But beware of his generous pensions
    Plus three weeks paid vacation each year
    And on Fridays, the lunchroom serves hot dogs and burgers and beeeeeer!
    He loves German beer!

No one ever says Italy...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭jd007

You want cream with that?

Yeeee....No

• Registered Users Posts: 8,409 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Homer:I'm not Krusty the Clown, i'm Homer Simpson!
    Fat Tony: The same Homer Simpson who crashed his car into the wall of our club?
    Homer: No wait, i'm not Homer Simpsons, I'm Barney Gumble!
    Legs: The same Barney Gumble who keeps taking picture of my sister?
    Homer: No i'm Joe Valachi
    Louie: The same Joe Valachi who squealed to the senate about organised crime?
    Homer: I'm Benedict Arnold
    Legs: The same Benedict Arnold who plotted to surrender West Point to the hated British?

Cletus: I teach the big 'uns, and the big 'uns teach the little 'uns. But no one taught me, which makes the whole thing an exercise in futility.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭Rawr

Detective: Now don't you fret, when I'm through, he won't set foot in this town again. I can be very, very persuasive. [loads gun]

Detective: Oh, c'mon. Leave town.

Sideshow Bob: No.

Detective: I'll be your friend?

Sideshow Bob: No.

Detective: Oh, you're mean.

Flowers
    By
    Irene

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭toastedpickles

It was my friends birthday today so i got her a bag of sweets and sang this :pac:

Here you go, here I am!
    Uncle Moe, thank you, ma'am!
    This'll be a treat!
    Uncle Moe, here i am!
    While you eat!

And while were at it

Uncy moe, my teef hurt my sodie is too cold
    Your sodie is too cold?
    WELL THAT'S TOO FREAKIN BAD! i CAN TELL YOU WHAT TO DO WITH YOUR FREAKIN SODIE TOO!!!

Ow my freakin ears!

Its the laughter of children. It goes through me like a hot knife through butter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

BARTWOULDYOULIKETOSEEMYNEWCHAINSAWANDHOCKEYMASK?

Advertisement