Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Recommend a Cork Club

• 04-10-2010 8:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭

So moving on from this thread can anyone recommend a Cork Club? The Edge, Finbars and Middleton are the only ones I have seen, can anyone enlighten me about these or suggest others?

I'm based in Glanmire area btw

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 244 ✭✭murf85

Myself and Plastik are in the same prediciment as yourself.. Same area and on the prowl for a club.

I know its a bit of a trek but I was out with a few lads from Kanturk sunday morning in the city and I must say their attitude really impressed me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

Hey Murf, when are ye going out for a spin next? I'm not long at this side of the city so I'll meet up with ye for yer next outing, I'd be intrested in hearing what ye think of clubs and winter spins. Kanturk is a bit of a spin...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 739 ✭✭✭papac

Kanturk is a bit of a spin...

Its a nice spin if you go the Nadd way.Bit much before and after a training spin.:)
    Blarney is the only other option I'd say.
    I'd be interested in going for a spin out east as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭Plastik

It'll probably be Sunday morning for me on the bike this week, usually like to start and finish early 8/8.30 - 12/1.

I reckon it will be saturday morning for myself..with the county final and work sunday night im ruled out

Papac i know your out east,how do you rate midleton cycle club? Or do you know much about them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 739 ✭✭✭papac

murf85 wrote: »
    I reckon it will be saturday morning for myself..with the county final and work sunday night im ruled out

Papac i know your out east,how do you rate midleton cycle club? Or do you know much about them?

Spoke to a few Midleton guys. Seem sound/enthusiastic. Was on the point of going for a spin with them when I got injured a couple months back. Will try to get out with them when I'm recovered fully. (Only doing granny cycling atm.:()
    I reckon Midleton is a handier location if you are anywhere east of town.Great routes outta Midleton and no city to navigate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭cantalach

Lee Valley Wheelers CC is notionally based in Ballingeary and Macroom but has a membership scattered throughout Cork and Kerry. I know a good few people there. It's a very 'nice' club with an almost family-like feel to it. Probably fair to say that the emphasis is more on sportive/leisure cycling rather than racing (which is not to say they don't have some very handy cyclists in their ranks!).

Ballymore CC is a small club based on Great Island (Cobh). I know a couple of the lads there and they're very decent sorts. Afaik, it's one of the few clubs in the area that runs youth spins, which might be relevant to you if you have kids that you'd like to get into the sport.

Fermoy CC seems to be a pretty big club which definitely has a very visible presence in racing. Remember that Fermoy is only 20 minutes up the motorway from the tunnel.

If ye fancy meeting up for a spin some morning let me know, I'm doing the Boards mtb spin on Sat morn and cant see me getting away 2 mornings in a row so this weekend is out for me, perhaps next Sat morning.

I'm drifting towards Midleton cc at the moment, they really have their act together and double as a tri club (I think) so might be a good influence on me:D

I'm drifting towards Midleton cc at the moment, they really have their act together and double as a tri club (I think) so might be a good influence on me:D

Well from speaking to the owner (at least i think he is the owner) of an rothar in midleton over the weekend he told me that they also have a crowd who go mountain biking for the winter so they might suit you.

I always thought they were a classy bunch:)

• Advertisement

I always thought they were a classy bunch:)

Well have you made a choice on club yet Bouldwhacker? Still on the look out myself..

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭seve65

Did anybody look into Blarney, their web site suggests they go out on Sat and Sun from the 'Gully' (wherever that is ?). Sun morn. is a no go for me. http://www.blarneycyclingclub.ie/2010/10/01/winter-training-times/

Also anybody looked into Fermoy ?

I havent myself other than glance at the web sites.

I haven't looked at Blarney, I'm hoping to join a club that I'll be able to cycle to on the morning so I'm limiting my options to:

St. Finbarr's
    Sundays 9am from Bandon R'about
    No info on speeds or distance

The Edge
    Sundays 9am from The Edge
    Two groups one is 32kph avg and if you're dropped, that's it. The other is 1.5/2.5h long but no mention of speed.

Midleton
    Sundays 9am from An Rothar
    Website is borked

Im in Glanmire, and Blarney is closer than midleton. Also sunday am being a no go for me that rules a few clubs out. Blarney and Fermoy seem to mention Sat and Sun rides. .

I'm more or less the same area as yourself, it's 20k to Blarney/15k to Midleton/20k to Bandon R'about/15k to The Edge. Far easier cycles to the other three than getting out to Blarney though, not sure I fancy Barrnavara first thing every morning :o The others are a nice flat spinny route to warm up.

Plastik wrote: »
    not sure I fancy Barrnavara first thing every morning :o

Your some Wimp :rolleyes: !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭High Nellie

A bit of a climb is just the thing to warm you up in the winter. I have a descent from the house and I'm usually freezing before I get riding.

Your some Wimp :rolleyes: !!!

Off with ya ;) I sent email's to The Edge & St. Finbarr's lastnight

Well have you made a choice on club yet Bouldwhacker? Still on the look out myself..

Nothing as yet, I'm still thinking midleton but the web site is down....

I was talking to a chap from the Blarney Club the other day, sounds like a good club but I dont like Blarney village, I lived there a few years ago and I just never felt the love (wouldn't be gone on their jerseys either). The Edge is another option, I'm gonna have a chat with them next time I'm in town, they have a solid set up and pretty impressive results (and I like their jeserys).
    Outside of that it looks like we'll just have to set up our own club...

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭bertiecont

See www.midletonctc.com - it's our new website that is still in the process of being set up but most info etc is up there at the moment.

We now go from the Courthouse in midleton @ 9am every sunday, there are usually some mid-week spins too and starting this week there is a spinning training class in Fota Island hotel that the club have organised - wednesdays between 7 & 9!

PM me if you need anymore details or contact any of the Club Officers - detials on website.

• Advertisement

Thanks Bertie.... so whos intrested? I may give Midleton a go, they are certainly an active club and know how to organise events. I like the mid week spin idea.

Thanks Bertie.... so whos intrested? I may give Midleton a go, they are certainly an active club and know how to organise events. I like the mid week spin idea.

Yeah im leaning towards midleton too..****it we could have a few heading from glanmire so by the sounds of it!!

I wont be able to make it next Sunday so it'll be the 14th of Nov before I can make it down, 9am is a good time for a spin too, not to early, not to dark... Only a short spin form the city too.
    I like the new site and their philosophy to cycling.

I emailed the edge and the barrs about their club & spins also. The edge haven't responded, and the barrs don't have their membership meeting until January, with their spins being 29/30avg. Not sure I'm at that pace yet, depends on the route. I would've gotten in contact with Midleton but the site is down (and has been for a long time) and the guys in An Rothar weren't able to give me too many other details.

After the post above though I'd certainly lead in the direction of giving Midleton a go. Bertie, what sort of pace are ye at? One group, two groups? Usual distances?

Oh, oh yes, nice to see the other two wimps no longer thinking of heading over Barnavara first thing of a Sunday morning! Oh how the screw has turned!!

We usually head out in one group but would then split into the sportive & racing sections after the first 15/20km.

We leave from the Court House in Midleton at 9am. Depending on groups and route pace would vary between 25km/hr and 30km/hr with distances between 80 and 120km

But we are in the process of setting up a third group for people who are new to the club & cycling - would be at a slightly slower pace with the guarantee that no-one would be dropped. Would prob be a slightly shorter distance and would usually include a coffee stop. At least would would introduce people to club cycling and they can then move up to other groups when they felt ready.

Not 100% sure if this group is up and running yet. Best bet is to contact Club Secretary as he will be organising and leading this group. Contact details are on new website or PM for details.

Oh, oh yes, nice to see the other two wimps no longer thinking of heading over Barnavara first thing of a Sunday morning! Oh how the screw has turned!!

Translation: Plastik is challenging everyone to a TT up Barnavara....

Translation: Plastik is challenging everyone to a TT up Barnavara....

Haha make the call plastik...time and day!

Better get in the sneaky practice so :D

Bertie, will there be a group(s) going from the Courthouse in Midleton this Sunday morning?

hi Plastik,

Ya, there should be a group going this Sunday. There is generally a group every sunday through the winter although the numbers do tend to drop off slightly.

I won't be there myself this week as i'm working but best bet it to send Tadgh, the Club Secreatry a quick txt and let him know you are planning to come - at least that way people are aware that a new member will be joining them.

His details can be found here - http://www.midletonctc.com/ContactUs.html

• Advertisement

Right, so all going according to plan Murf and I will be hooking up with the Midleton group in the morning. Anyone else thinking of going along - seve, bouldy?

I'd love to but I'm outa town tonight and wont be back in cork till Sunday evening at the earliest. Best of luck, I hope all goes well, make sure ye post up with a report, stats and route. Fingers crossed the weather is ok for ye.
    All going well with yer exploration I'll join ye next Sunday.

There are 2 routes planned at the moment - the longer spin is 100km and is the route used in the Stephen Roche Tour de Cure - http://www.stephenrochetourdecure.com/images/100kmroute.pdf

the shorter spin is 60km - which is out as far a youghal with the other group and then turning towards the coast and back through Ballymacoda, Garryvoe etc.

Depending on wind direction in the morning these may change - don't really want a head wind on the way home if it can be avoided! :D

Right, so all going according to plan Murf and I will be hooking up with the Midleton group in the morning. Anyone else thinking of going along - seve, bouldy?

thanks for asking, sunday mornings are a no-go for me every week unfortunatlely. The only time Im freeish on a sunday would be the crack of dawn for an hour or so, and 2PM+.

off topic, just came back from seeing the Waterboys - an evening with mr yeats, in wexford. Was absolutely fantastic, mind u wexford was like a ghost town. Past Mahon falls sign on the way back, must go back there soon before the next skt.

So how did it go?

Very good. Myself and Plastik and a buddy cycled to midleton and met the group at the courthouse, only to find out they were heading back to Glanmire!

A very nice bunch of lads, and even tho I was spat out of the arse of the group going up past sarsfields hospital, and again on the way to Glenville infairness to them they sent back two riders to pull me back and waited for me to catch up.

Even though it was one of those days when your legs just dont work and the more and more I pedelled I felt like I was going backwards, Im glad I went. A really nice bunch of lads and il definitely be going along again next sunday, and hoping for a better day on the bike.

This is the route we went, even though the rest of them wer heading to Rathcormac and back to midleton via Lisgould. I just wasnt able and felt bad for probably holding them up!!

http://ridewithgps.com/routes/217304

Signed up to their spinning class now too wednesday night!

• Advertisement

Ouch, ah well it happens to us all, only way is up now!
    Not meaning to prolong the memories but what pace were ye moving at?
    You gonna cycle or drive to Middleton next week?:D

Im guessing it was around 25 to 30km/hr..
    Jesus i dont know,neither if i can help it..we passed the train going down there so i might take the easy option and cycle to glounthaune and hop on the midleton train!

I think my avg when I got home was in around 25/26, though we fairly cruised the last 10-15km. Today was great, I beat Murf to the top of a hill, TWICE!! cloud9.gif

Enjoyed the spin, lovely morning for it, and a good group of men. The banter makes the miles go that bit easier. Only one group this morning instead of two due to numbers, so those of us more challenged at the uphill bits were left trying to cling on to the whippets at times!

Looking forward to next week. If you knock the 17k off that we did getting to Midleton then we covered the same distance as the rest of the club spin.

Well done lads, I hope to make next weekends spin but the way my weekends have been going lately who knows....

Ye heading to Mildeton in the morning? If so are ye cycling or driving there?

• Advertisement

Im working 12 to 6 tomorrow so im not gonna make it, and iv my doubts Plastik will be there either.

We done a cold wet and windy 100km+ this morning instead. Let me know how you get on if you do head along!

Hmmm.... having a few mates around for dinner tonight so I'll see what time that finishes up:o

Yeah, no won't be out tomorrow either, I had my will with 110k or wet & cold misery this morning!

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Signal_ rabbit

Hmmm.... having a few mates around for dinner tonight so I'll see what time that finishes up:o

Excellent what time shall I be there, shall i bring beer? lol

No need to bring beer, just bring your bike that will sort the entertainment for the evening!!;):D

Did you head this morning TBW? Looked like a smashing day for a cycle, a hell of a lot better than Saturday!

Nope, I slept till late, when I got up the next door neighbours kids were skating on the ice in my driveway so I did what any hardcore cyclist would do.... I lit the fire, pulled out my laptop and did some work for a Monday morning meeting.
    You know your getting old when you work instead of cycling, should be the other way around:o

i got out in the afternoon, and it was fabulous, did this route http://www.mapmyride.com/ride/ireland/sallybrook/832128976529447404, started off with a climb up and over down to glaunthaune, up Kilahoura, back down to Carrigtohill, great climb back up excellent road to the top of the hill then the worst road on the planet from then on, sunset was stunning at least it was until I got a blowout in a pot-hole. No fun changing the tube with frozen hands. A couple of the roads on that route are absolutely awful. Enjoyed what seemed like blasting it back along the new line back into Brooklodge in the dark. Except my arms were freezing at that point. Explains the ice I was gingerly cycling on this morning ! Plus all the dogs are bike chasers on that route !

Jaysus Seve, I wouldn't even consider taking the car down some of those roads, let alone the bike! You cycled right past my house, I was warm inside :D Where about's did you get the blow out?

between ballyda? and hightown? according to the map I think. North of watergrasshill heading towards bartelmy. Certainly made up my mind to turn around, probably a good thing too that I was able to get back onto a road I knew had minimal pot holes before it went very dark, although there was a good moon out :) at least two mutts that had been chasing me then came over to say hello as I was fixing the puncture.

• Advertisement
Advertisement