Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

browning Buckmark or Hammerli xesse ?

Options
  • 04-10-2010 8:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

I am looking to purchase soon and want to know opinions on either the Browning Buckmark or the Hammerli xesse. I have discounted the Ruger because it looks like a pain to break down and clean. do the rear sights on the Hammeri loosen and is the ammo for the buckmark a bit on the expenseive side ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Bananaman

Try them out and see which you prefer.

Personally I prefer the Buckmark but I can shoot quite well with the xsesse also.

B'Man

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

redjohn wrote: »
    I am looking to purchase soon and want to know opinions on either the Browning Buckmark or the Hammerli xesse. I have discounted the Ruger because it looks like a pain to break down and clean. do the rear sights on the Hammeri loosen and is the ammo for the buckmark a bit on the expenseive side ?
    +1 to what Bananaman said, but to answer your other question, they both use the same ammo.

Saw one of the new Hammerlis recently and tbh, I was very impressed. They have a really nice feature where you can change the width of the foresight blade with one allen key. That mightn't sound like much, but believe me when you're shooting different competitions at different distances or different holds (such as one-handed, two-handed or benched) it's really helpful. The trigger is adjustable as well which is a big advantage over the Buck Mark which IMO has a pretty awful trigger.

If there's not much difference in price, I'd go for the Hammerli, but there are other choices out there, so I'd expand my selection and try a few more if I was in your place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 redjohn

Thanks for the replies , I have been doing a lot of trawling through all the other models and these are my last two. Glad I don't live in the US though, some real nut jobs there, especially you tube personal reviews......

redjohn wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies , I have been doing a lot of trawling through all the other models and these are my last two. Glad I don't live in the US though, some real nut jobs there, especially you tube personal reviews......
    Honestly, you can read all the reviews ever written and still get it wrong. Pistol choice is very personal and what feels good to you could be awful for another guy.

Go to a match where there are a good few and at least get to look at and hold some to see what feels right for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Not only that, but you could change out the grips and find that what didn't suit you at all is now a perfect fit. Though that doesn't apply if it's the rake angle of the grip that's the problem. So you really have to try it for yourself.

rrpc, is the buckmark's trigger as bad as the one on the Izzy air pistol?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Kryten

No It is quite crisp, with a little overtravel and about 3 pound heavier than the Izzy.

The Hammerli needs no tools to strip it for cleaning. If you want to do a proper clean on the buckmark, the Top rail is held by two allen screws. These need to come out before the slide can be removed. Dont lose the lockwashers, they are special dished shape to fit into the countersunk holes.

Really accurate pistol though. More suited to sporting pistol competitions as opposed to ISSF altough you can get a Nill grip for both pistols.

Sparks wrote: »
    Not only that, but you could change out the grips and find that what didn't suit you at all is now a perfect fit. Though that doesn't apply if it's the rake angle of the grip that's the problem. So you really have to try it for yourself.

rrpc, is the buckmark's trigger as bad as the one on the Izzy air pistol?
    The ones I tried (a rifle and a pistol); both pretty new had the same characteristics that the izzy trigger had: very difficult to 'feel' the let off point because it moved in jerks rather than smoothly. I imagine it can be fixed as Kryten's must have been but the mechanism is a triggger bar which runs on the outside of the frame and probably needs polishing to achieve that.

If you buy the 'Sport' model of the X-Esse you get the one-handed grip as standard. At around €700 all-in, it's the best way to get it, as adding one later is going to cost in the region of €150-€200.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭boc121

Hammerli xesse is it possible to license this as a first pistol?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Bananaman

boc121 wrote: »
    Hammerli xesse is it possible to license this as a first pistol?

Not sure I understand the question?

There is no restrictions on what can be your 'first' pistol. There are only restrictions on what type of pistols you may license at all.

If you did not hold a license for a restricted pistol prior to November 2008 then you may only apply for an unrestricted pistol license - namely, in th case of 22 pistols, one which has a magazine only capable of holding 5 rounds.

As The xsesse - and indeed the majority of pistols and revolvers - hold more than that by default - you may need to get a magazine restricted to only hold 5 rounds in order to get your license. Many dealers can do this for you if you're are asked to do it.

Regardless - if you have an unrestricted license then you may only load it with five rounds.

Hope that answers your question.

B'Man

I know it makes no sense - the majority of competitions are shot with 6 rounds - most revolvers hold 6 rounds - eggs come in a box of 6 - where the 5 came from is beyond me.

Bananaman wrote: »
    I know it makes no sense - the majority of competitions are shot with 6 rounds - most revolvers hold 6 rounds - eggs come in a box of 6 - where the 5 came from is beyond me.
    The metric system ;)

Dozens and half dozens all went out with the imperial system. We dropped bushels and grosses as well :p

...I'll get my hat :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭boc121

Sorry i thought there was a list of acceptable pistols from the DOJ

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭G17

redjohn PM sent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

boc121 wrote: »
    Sorry i thought there was a list of acceptable pistols from the DOJ
    There's a list of 'suitable' pistols that meet the requirements of the legislation (you'll find it in the Commissioner's Guidelines, page 41), which explicitly states that it is "not exhaustive".
    There's considerable anecdotal evidence that a good number of Superintendents manage to not see or understand that bit. :(

Advertisement