If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new TV please

Options
  • 04-10-2010 9:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭

Hi
    I am looking for a new TV from 42 to 47 inch size for general use.
    Really just want a decent picture doesnt need loads of bells and whistles.
    I am completely bamboozled after looking for the last few days.
    Don't know why but also feel Sony make good product. Is this right?
    Will spend up to 750euro and open to any suggestions

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Dave

Hi Carsfan.

There are a lot of options in within this price range and size range.

The one to start at, is the Philips 42PFL5405H which is 549.99 Euro. This is a 100Hz LCD screen that is full HD and has good picture and sound.

Next up would be the Philips 40PFL5605 which is an LED and as such, provides a better picture than the LCD, is more energy efficient and and thinner than the LCD. It's 100Hz and has a 2ms response time which leads to a very smooth picture. It's priced at 670 Euro.

The other option, which I personally think is the best option, is the LG 42LD790. This is a 200Hz LCD that's priced at 729 Euro and this is a 200Hz LCD, instead of 100Hz on the Philips. It also features the net cast feature that allows you to browse certain websites from the TV and while I know that gadgets are not at the top of your pile, the picture on this TV is fantastic.

I terms of 47" models, the best option here is the LG 42LD690 which is also 729 Euro, but I would recommend a few questions.

(1) Is the room suited to a 47" ?
    (2) How far away from the screen will you be ?
    (3) Would you prefer picture quality over size ?

The last one is particularly important as if you compare the 42" LD790 to the 47" LD690, the picture on the 42" is considerably better, but then if you need a 47", the 690 is an excellent choice.

Take a look at these and let me know what you think.

Regards

Dave

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭carsfan

thanks for the info.
    we would be about 10 to 15 feet from the screen.
    I have a 37" toshiba regza but think it appears too small.
    I don't know why I have an aversion to Phillips for some reason but am happy to follow your advice. I always thought Sony made good products.
    Are their televisions not as good as others?

Hi Carsfan.

Sony do make some good TV's.

The issue isn't really with the quality of the product, the issue is with the price of an equivalent specification Sony, you will be well over your budget.

Both Philips and LG at the moment are making some excellent quality screens that are coming in at sensible price points.

If you look at the cheapest Sony 200Hz model, KDL40HX703 is a lot more expensive.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Dave

sizewise does 42" seem big enough for 10 to 15 feet from screen.
    Also, I live in Limerick. What delivery charge is there?
    Thanks

any chance of a response to my query?
    Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭Shane732

Sorry to hi-jack but are you selling the LG 42LD790 for €729?

I assume this is a DLNA compatible tv?

Hi Carsfan.

Yes, 42 would recommended if that's the distance you are from the screen. You could go for the 47" but I personally would stick to the 42" in terms of picture quality as well. It's hard to judge and the layout of the room is also something to take into consideration.

Shane asked a question about the LG 42LD790, so I'll answer this in with your query, yes we do sell if for 729 Euro. This is a seriously good TV and with 200Hz scanning, it's a bargain.

Carsfan, what do you think of the other TV's that I mentioned, or would you prefer something higher end ?

ATB

Dave

Do you deliver to Limerick and if so how much extra does it cost plus what cables etc would I need?
    Thanks.

Hi Carsfan.

Delivery of that 42" would cost 30 Euro anywhere in Ireland.

The cables question is a hard one as it depends on your sources.

What are you looking to connect to the TV and I'll let you know what you'll need.

Cheers

Dave

Thanks for the info.
    I've looked more at the tv's in local shops and can't see the benefit of the LG42790 over the phillips pfl5405h for me.Thought picture was excellent on both but would pay extra if you really felt it was the better buy.can you do anything to make LG closer price wise to the phillips?
    I will need to connect to skyboxand dvd recorder but will upgrade to skyhd soon.
    Could you please pm me with prices for sets including delivery and cables and how I go about the ordering process as I want to organise purchase.

Thanks.

• Advertisement

PM sent.

Cheers

Dave

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.