Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Not getting the job - do they have to tell you why?

Options
  • 04-10-2010 9:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I recently had an interview for a job, following which I was called for a medical. Unfortunatly I was not offered the job. Are the company I was applying to obliged to tell me why I didn't get the job? I did contact them looking for feedback on my application but I still haven't heard anything. I think the reason I wasn't offered it may have been to do with the medical. If this is the case, are they obliged to tell you that this was their reason and do you have any right to obtain the results of your medical?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

in short no.

at an interview stage you are not engaged in any contract so they are under no obligation to answer you however if they do its their own decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

If you think it was because of the medical you can ask your GP to write to the doctor who did the examination and ask for the results. Your GP can then talk you through anything that might have given them cause for concern (though obviously your own GP won't know the precise criteria - he'll just be making an educated guess).

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Danae1

You can use the FOI to find out how you were rated eg. per section/where you lost marks etc.
    You can also ask how you could improve for future applications and how much by/in what areas the winning interviewee beat you.
    You ARE entitled to this information as it is data held on you, they are not required to tell you who won it or other personal details on others obviously....
    It can be a very interesting exercise and highlight areas of your interview that need work that you may be unaware of.
    Tip: when you do ask for the info (1) do it in writing (2) quote the FOI Act (3) stay polite...this may help get a faster/better/more informative response and even leave the door open for future jobs with them..

Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

in short no.

at an interview stage you are not engaged in any contract so they are under no obligation to answer you however if they do its their own decision.

Incorrect.

Employers have to provide the detail on the interview notes - whether they tell you the real reason for not hiring you is another matter. I have heard a lot of anecdotal evidence of employers not being honest when requested for feedback and interview notes.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,315 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Anyone who writes down the real reasons for rejection in the interview notes is a fool (i.e. I choose to hire on the feeling I get from the candidate as much as the interview answers but I'd never put in writing that I don't like the feel of the person). Usually you can add some minor points on not satisfied with answer on question X or was vague on subject Y as reason for rejection on the notes. What I then tell HR is a completly different matter but it is not on the record...

Also if you do a FOI keep in mind that it would most likely be held against you in the future with that company.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Random_Fate

Could someone explain how I could go about writing a letter for feedback using the FOI act to help?

I already sent a letter to the HR people, after I failed to secure a place on a Grad Programme (well talked about on boards.ie). I must say I was quite annoyed when, after aptitude tests, a group interview and a individual interview (a process lasting 3 months in total) they ignored my email requesting feedback.

I really feel that after all that effort, they MUST have some knowledge of where I went right or wrong. And I'd love some feedback. Help?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

My understanding is that notes on Interviews are essential legal documents and HR should have them on file, you are also entitled to a copy of these notes althoug it may take some hoop jumping to get them...

I would also agree with previous poster that the reason for failure will probably not appear on the notes... We were tutered by HR to never document specifics on the official interview notes, rather a second unofficial sheet was used to grade candidates and then destroyed when complete..

Also I'd recommend picking up the phone and asking to speak to someone in HR about information and feedback on your interview...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

murphym7 wrote: »
    Incorrect.

Employers have to provide the detail on the interview notes - whether they tell you the real reason for not hiring you is another matter. I have heard a lot of anecdotal evidence of employers not being honest when requested for feedback and interview notes.

exactly they are under no obligation to tell you and they are never honest ever, the good old "there was someone else better on the day" doesnt wash with me personally, yes they have to for legal reasons keep certain level of notes and a scoring card,based on questions asked, is usually the best becasue if the applicant doesnt get over a certain mark then you cant go further.

the scoring card is the best for a method that needs no explination other than the obvious low scoring,it prevents you from putting down a comment you might later regret.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭whatnext

I recently had an interview for a job, following which I was called for a medical. Unfortunatly I was not offered the job. Are the company I was applying to obliged to tell me why I didn't get the job? I did contact them looking for feedback on my application but I still haven't heard anything. I think the reason I wasn't offered it may have been to do with the medical. If this is the case, are they obliged to tell you that this was their reason and do you have any right to obtain the results of your medical?

The company have no legal ogligations to reply or give you a reason.

Someone else mentioned the freedom of information act. My understanding is that 1/ the FOI only relates the certain Govt agencies and Depts. and 2/ 3rd party maters of a personal nature ar specifically excluded from the act.

However....
    The Data protection Act does give you a right to obtain a copy of any information any company may hold on computer or manual file specifically relating to you. But this is very unlikely to contain the information you are seeking.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

OP here,

Thanks for all the replies. I did contact them requesting feedback on the interview process (I said I wanted it as I felt it might help me in future job applications, I didn't say anything about wanting to know why I wasn't selected) however they never got back to me. As regards the medical etc, I don't want to go down the Data InformaProtection Act road. While I know they may be legally obliged to give me the info I'm after, I doubt I would get an honest answer from them and I doubt it would do me any favours. A very similar job has been advertised by the same company, requiring the same qualifications/experience as the one I went for so they obviously weren't happy with the remaining candidates and have chosen to readvertise. Their loss!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Neadine

Hi Op, get back in contact with them again, make the request in writing or e-mail, if there is a trail it's not as easy to ignore.
    Freedom of Information Act states that you are entitled to copies of all documentation that relates to you, has your name, etc.
    As for reasons why you didn't get the job, that won't be stated on the documentation. Interviewers know to be very careful what it is they write down while taking notes during an interview. And usually you will find that it's really not very informative as to why you didn't get selected for the post. But none the less, you are still entitled to copies of the documents, if only for your own record/peace of mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭whatnext

Neadine wrote: »
    Hi Op, get back in contact with them again, make the request in writing or e-mail, if there is a trail it's not as easy to ignore.
    Freedom of Information Act states that you are entitled to copies of all documentation that relates to you, has your name, etc.As for reasons why you didn't get the job, that won't be stated on the documentation. Interviewers know to be very careful what it is they write down while taking notes during an interview. And usually you will find that it's really not very informative as to why you didn't get selected for the post. But none the less, you are still entitled to copies of the documents, if only for your own record/peace of mind.

NO IT DOES NOT
    http://www.foi.gov.ie/

It only applies to certain public bodies
    http://www.foi.gov.ie/bodies-covered-by-foi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

I worked as a recruiter for a company that did medicals before. Only one person ever failed the medical and was not offered a job because of it. We weren't allowed to know why they had failed the medical, only the doctor did but we were just told the person had failed it and the doctor would not recommend them for employment. I'm not sure if it is the same everywhere but we had to tell the guy he failed the medical but that we didn't know why. So even if the company know you failed the medical they might not know why. They should tell you if you failed it though.

As a side note, apparently, the main reason people failed the medical in the company I worked for was for their BMI being in the obese category as the job involved travelling to some quite out of the way places 70% of the time. That was never confirmed to me though.

Advertisement