Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Polish man dead.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

mikom, i don't think you got enough appreciation for a great title.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

DOC09UNAM wrote: »

Yeah, I was considering using "Polish man dead", but there's been a lot of that recently.
    I didn't want to confuse anybody.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

stovelid wrote: »
    ....we have to be better than the pond-life that did this or what are we?

Soft.

Criminals literally get away with murder in this country. Its a farce. Its a farce on the self respecting law abiding citizens of this country that we went through hell to call our own, that little knacker scumbags can basically get away with anything they like, without fear of retribution or punishment.

Correction / rehabilitation does not work in most cases. This has been proven in the states. And looking at the number of scummers walking the streets and re-offending here, it quite obviously doesn't work here either.

We need a harder line judicial system. People need ot fear breaking serious laws.

Obviously, you can't go hanging everyone - but letting everyone scum criminal off after a few years is hardly an adequate solution.

Poland have recently stepped up their hard line on certain crimes - chemical castration for perpetrators of sexual crimes. We and other countries need to follow suit. (yes, I'm aware that Poland may not be the best example, considering their government etc).

Its sickening to think, that this guy will be either out after a few years, or will have his sentence suspended if he's not convicted of murder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

The thread title is a poor attempt at juvenile humour tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 177 ✭✭sassychick

dlofnep wrote: »
    Probably. It's moot.

Fact of the matter is - this Polish lad was on his way to work in the early hours of the morning, probably busting his balls to make a better life for himself when this scumbag took his life from him.

I hope they prosecute this guy to the fullest extent.
    I totally agree this poor fellah did not deserve this..:(Such a young life tragically taken...i hope that scum rots in jail...RIP lucasz they cant hurt you anymore....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

I hate these type of threads. I agree that it's a sad thing to hear of the murder of anyone - but you can be guaranteed that all that follows is page after page of calls for retribution, the death penalty & eradication of "scumbags".

It'd be like reading the letters page of the Daily Mail if they had one.

When someone is killed, the last thing I want to read is calls for more blood to be spilled.

Amen to that. Great post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Mr Magners wrote: »
    I know it's AH and usual rules etc are out the window but really the thread title is in such poor taste, a young man is dead and the title is a very tenuous link to where the alledged perpetrator is living.

It should be changed, I thought it was going to be a light hearted thread, not what it actually is.
    This is AH, where the rules are only enforced randomly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I know it's AH and usual rules etc are out the window but really the thread title is in such poor taste, a young man is dead and the title is a very tenuous link to where the alledged perpetrator is living.

It should be changed, I thought it was going to be a light hearted thread, not what it actually is.

Why not actually proffer an opinion in this, a serious thread, instead of bellyaching about the title?

Why not actually proffer an opinion in this, a serious thread, instead of bellyaching about the title?
    So you're complaining about a post that is complaining about the title of a stupid thread?

Just making sure I'm up to speed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭gracehopper

diddledum wrote: »
    I really have no idea if his nationality was a factor, but I do think that relative to our population, we have seen a surprising number of newcomers murdered or seriously injured over the last few years, when you strip out the figures for gang related incidents which many seem to have become a little desensitised to.

Maybe there is no correlation, but I have a feeling if we go sorting through the figures we may not like what we see.

i am not sure about his nationality being a factor. A young irish guy called Alan Higgins was killed for a mobile and a wallet coming home from the cinema which is very near the industrial estate in this instance.

It makes me sick and embarrassed to be honest. We are known for our warmth and welcoming attitude towards others. This polish guy was getting up and heading to work on a saturday morning to earn a few quid in a fish factory and then to be confronted by a group of these little ba5tard5. I do feel ashamed and angry that this can happen so close to where i live.

Amended the title of the thread there for those concerned with optics.

OisinT wrote: »
    So you're complaining about a post that is complaining about the title of a stupid thread?

Just making sure I'm up to speed.

Quit the petty tit-for-tat bollocks. You know exactly what I mean.

I won't be answering whatever answer you concoct to this post as to keep the topic on track, by the way.

mikom wrote: »
    Amended the title of the thread there for those concerned with optics.
    To an even worse title. Lock this sucker.

Quit the petty tit-for-tat bollocks. You know exactly what I mean.

I won't be answering whatever answer you concoct to this post as to keep the topic on track, by the way.
    I was kidding :D

cantankerous geebag indeed :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Fcuk the death penalty.. easy way out for scum like him. It costs more than life imprisonment too.

Only if there is an appeals process.

• Advertisement

I was kidding :D

cantankerous geebag indeed :P

I jumped into that one with studs up, didn't I?

Apologies. :o

To an even worse title. Lock this sucker.

Why lock it?

Bar a very holy miracle, the title is accurate.

I jumped into that one with studs up, didn't I?

Apologies. :o
    No worries :D

Why lock it?

Bar a very holy miracle, the title is accurate.
    Still dead though... come on.

Still dead though... come on.

But he is?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

That title is even worse. Still dead? Are you sure? Do we need a coroners report?

Change it again!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

But he is?

hmm... I suppose it is politically correct...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Pretty disrespectful thread title to be fair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

too soon, really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 735 ✭✭✭sealgaire

I dont understand the thread title . . .

But he is?
    I don't think I'm the only one who thinks the title is still a bit immature and insensitive.

I don't think I'm the only one who thinks the title is still a bit immature and insensitive.

Yeah but he's still dead, when he comes back to life, he can change the title.

Shall we have a poll as to what it should be titled?
    Posters pissed and moaned about the first title, but maybe I should have left it.

"Bring back the birch" or "hangings too good for them" perhaps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Just a matter of fact thread title

Stop trying to be witty, you can't pull it off

Well if he comes back to life then I'm sure we will be having a different discussion altogether.

• Advertisement

I think I would agree with the hard labour idea.
    Death penalty I am completely against and of course our sentences seem to mean nothing at the moment. The labour would be a deterrent but it may also build discipline and so on.

In any case this story is genuinely very sad.
    RIP and condolences to his family.

Just a matter of fact thread title

Stop trying to be witty, you can't pull it off

Done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Mr Magners

And that's your first contribution? I'm having trouble seeing where you've given your opinion.

For what it's worth, I think it's a very sad day for the family of this man. Unfortunately I think we're going to see more and more of these "random" acts of violence as the value attributed to human life becomes ever more diminished.

With respect folks, the only jocular thing about the entire thread was the title(s), not the OP or the subsequent thread.

Paradoxically, this griping is actually leading to the thread becoming the inverse of what you want: which is a serious on-topic thread.

For what it's worth, I think it's a very sad day for the family of this man. Unfortunately I think we're going to see more and more of these "random" acts of violence as the value of life becomes ever more diminished.

Actually if you look at Europe since the 1700's - excluding wars and civil unrest - the murder rate has steadily declined. The idea that things are getting worse or will get worse isn't backed by the numbers.

And that's your first contribution? I'm having trouble seeing where you've given your opinion.

Try specsavers?
    It's such an obvious point as to be a cliche by now but it's possible to be filled with sadness at this young man's death - and to detest he person that did it - without going on some draconian law and order trip. The harder line you are proposing hasn't really provided a long-term answer to this kind of behaviour although I can understand the thirst for revenge. Certainly a part of me would like to see the guys that did this beaten to death (so I can only imagine the victim's family - if it was my son or brother I don't think I could stay sane) but it's hardly the long-term answer and if we must be anything, we have to be better than the pond-life that did this or what are we?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I don't know what's going on here. I edited the title back to "Polish man dead". Everyone stick to the topic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 119 ✭✭maroon

MidlandsM wrote: »
    K, but if the victim was just an ordinary irish lad, would there be such a big story here?

ahm... Yes!

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/local-national/irish-man-dies-after-brutal-attack-in-holland-14657868.html

And your question is a proof that the xenophobia is running wild in Ireland since 2004.
    It's a Human Being. We are all Irish, we are all Polish, we are all Human !

Thread title has now been amended by a mod, and that's fine by me.
    To the bellyachers, the next time you are unsure that a title may match up to a thread, let me suggest a can of Ronseal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭bullpost

If found guilty of a crime like this I'd hand him over to be used for medical research for the term of his sentence.

Why use innocent animals for this when you can get guilty animals?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 saltcoats

amacachi wrote: »
    How many posts until someone mentions the death penalty? :pac:

My sympathies to the deceased's family, sad and terrible way for someone to die.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭scientific1982

Mister men wrote: »
    Most parents don't know how to raise their kids. They drag them up through life. I'm sorry but the more i think about it the more i'm convinced people should need a licence to have kids because we can't just go on and on producing scum like this fella or we will never have a just society.
    I agree with you 100%. You can pretty much tell how a kid is going to turn out by looking at their parents. Some people should never have kids.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 735 ✭✭✭sealgaire

Not funny you twat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

I've long been of the opinion that our society needs to make a clear decision whether it wants to rehabilitate or punish. I don't think a mixture can be successfully achieved.

I also don't really believe our society wants to foot the bill for rehabilitation. I think society needs to make the harsh decision that it only wants to punish. Once that's been made, then perhaps we can look at ways to make criminals productive.

The term "screw" comes from the Victorian practice of making criminals turn a screw x amount of times. If the prison behaved well, the screw was easier to turn; it they misbehaved, the screw was tightened.

Why not have our criminals create electricity for the poorer families in our society? or for hospitals?? or for schools??? their punishment could include creating an amount of energy. This could be increased or decreased for good/bad behavior.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

sealgaire wrote: »
    Not funny you twat

Banned

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Zulu wrote: »
    I've long been of the opinion that our society needs to make a clear decision whether it wants to rehabilitate or punish. I don't think a mixture can be successfully achieved.

I also don't really believe our society wants to foot the bill for rehabilitation. I think society needs to make the harsh decision that it only wants to punish. Once that's been made, then perhaps we can look at ways to make criminals productive.

The term "screw" comes from the Victorian practice of making criminals turn a screw x amount of times. If the prison behaved well, the screw was easier to turn; it they misbehaved, the screw was tightened.

Why not have our criminals create electricity for the poorer families in our society? or for hospitals?? or for schools??? their punishment could include creating an amount of energy. This could be increased or decreased for good/bad behavior.

We have plenty of infrastructure that needs help rebuilding. Roads, buildings etc etc that would be a good use of forced labour. Plus, it may give some convicts some extra skills for when / if they get out.

We have plenty of infrastructure that needs help rebuilding. Roads, buildings etc etc that would be a good use of forced labour..

....which use would of course put people out of jobs.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

We have plenty of infrastructure that needs help rebuilding. Roads, buildings etc etc that would be a good use of forced labour. Plus, it may give some convicts some extra skills for when / if they get out.

True (and a +1) from me however, one problem is supervision outside of prison with this one. It means extra guards etc.. I think this is a good alternative for people who don't pay fines (as opposed to throwing them in prison), let them work off the dept with labour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭aDeener

dlofnep wrote: »
    Probably. It's moot.

Fact of the matter is - this Polish lad was on his way to work in the early hours of the morning, probably busting his balls to make a better life for himself when this scumbag took his life from him.

I hope they prosecute this guy to the fullest extent.

won't happen unfortunately

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Mr Magners

Try specsavers?

Specsavers it is for me, apologies :o

• Advertisement
Advertisement