Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

hypocritical consultants

Options
  • 04-10-2010 9:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭

most of us have made appointments with doctors at one time or other and inevitabley , we are left waiting anything from ten minutes to perhaps half an hour ( after the booked time ) untill we actually get to see the doctor

one would then think that in the event a patient ended up slightly late for an appointment , the doctor would show some disgression and tollerate some shortage of punctuality , not so it seems , i was five minutes late for an appointment with a consultant in dublin today and was bluntly told id have to re - book as the consultant had gone home , i was his last appointment of the day so it wasnt a case of the next in line taking my place , less than two months ago i saw another consultant who works in the very same hospital and had to wait 40 mins to see the MR

i drove sixty miles to see this consultant today and will now have to join a two month quee to see him again , the arrogance of this proffesion is truly stagering , i should add i was seeing him in a private capacity , i knew the consultant fraternity held public patients in contempt but one would think when they are being paid 250 quid for a 15 minute chat , thier might be a degree of respect , respect as they say is a two way street or so i thought

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭adm

Very annoying. There is actually a seinfeld episode with a similar story.
    The character George decides to bill the doctor for his wasted time!
    Maybe you should send the consultant a bill next time he's late!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

adm wrote: »
    Very annoying. There is actually a seinfeld episode with a similar story.
    The character George decides to bill the doctor for his wasted time!
    Maybe you should send the consultant a bill next time he's late!

might be an idea , i could send him a copy of the M50 toll bridge tickets and petrol station reciepts :D

the problem with theese elites is that they are earning too much money , anyone who can afford to stand a patient - customer up ( for being five mins late ) and thus say goodbye to 250 quid is obviously earning too much

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭shelly_g

I wouldnt dream of making another appointment with a consultant like that ...

I have spent a wee fortune on consultants over the last three years and every time i feel totally fleeced ...

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Jeweliette

That is disgraceful Irishh_bob. I think the problem is that some doctors have come to see the people coming through their doors as customers, not patients who are ill and in need of their care. They are paid enough to be both professional and compassionate and to give the extra 5 mins when necessary. It's not like their selling you sausages, it's your health their tending to.

Just dumping you to the end of the list over 5 mins is awful. Its always so hard to find parking in hospitals too and if you are ill and have to park far away from where you are going it will take so much longer to arrive at your appointment than you anticipated. For all he knew something like that may happened to you. Some health professionals really need to wake up.

on my last visit to Beaumont Private clinic i was lucky i had someone with me driving ...there was no parking outside the clinic so i would have been late by the time i parked in multi and hobbled back for appointment ....

I dont know how id react if i was 5 mins late and was told i was at bottom of another queue

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

shelly_g wrote: »
    on my last visit to Beaumont Private clinic i was lucky i had someone with me driving ...there was no parking outside the clinic so i would have been late by the time i parked in multi and hobbled back for appointment ....

I dont know how id react if i was 5 mins late and was told i was at bottom of another queue

i was in the same hospital to see another consultant yesterday , im having a spinal cord stimulator fitted in a few months and have to pass a series of tests 1st and this involves seeing a number of different people

anyway , yesterday i saw a different consultant and had to wait fifteen minutes past the appointment time , i didnt mind , the consultant was a gentleman and spent at least half an hour with me while also advising me on a seperete issue , afterwards , i complained to the consultants ( who stood me up ) secretary about being stood up a few days previous , not only was she arrogant and indifferent to the fact that i didnt get to see the consultant , she told me the consultant in question was unwilling to see me now at all , why ???

apparently he didnt like the fact that i complained about him to staff in an unflattering manner , apart from refering to him as arrogant to hospital staff , i pointed to the fact that the clock in the waiting room of the hospital is five minutes fast , when i arrived i was told i was ten minutes late ( receptionist pointed to the clock several times ) , i dont often nit pick over the accuracy of clocks but in this instance , a fast clock can be the difference between a 120 mile round trip wasted journey , being sent to the back of a two month quee and having to see ones pain relieving proceedure postponed

its quite annoying how patients seemingly have no choice but to accept the fact that in our relationship with doctors , we are always wrong and they are always right

he wont see you ..... :eek::eek:

thats unreal ....

im shocked ..

is there an official complaints proceedure that you can go through ....

Advertisement