Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help or contacts needed..Strange object found.

• 04-10-2010 10:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭

Hi all,

About 5 years ago my Dad found an object in a field on our farm.

He has been on to me for ages to get it looked at as he is adament that it is of some importance.

Im not so sure, but I have come on here looking for an idea of who and where to ask for assistance.

Im also not so sure that this came from the ground. We think it fell from the sky.

Anyway, I hope i posted this in the right spot,

Thanks everyone.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,146 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

A picture would be helpful if you can post one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Can you describe the object or post a picture?

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Duckytech

Thanks for the enquiry lads,

Il post a pic later on when i get home but its can be described as:

-Almost spherical in appearance.
    -About 70 mm diameter.
    -Light grey colour with darker area on one side.
    -Very light for its size (Almost feels hallow).
    -Has one slight inperfection in its surface. Through this you can see what it might be made up of..it appears it have a 'fibre' type structure.

Sorry for poor description lads but il post the pics later on and hopefully they will help..

Cheers.

Ok so here is the pics...have a look and feel free to give your opinion.

My first thought is that it was some some sort of egg. It was found in an area of open pasture grass. Not near ditches, rivers or any trees.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 185 ✭✭katkin

• Advertisement

katkin wrote: »
    Hi katkin, thanks for your reply.

It does seem to be a pretty good match physically, but our one was found on grass not dug up from a depth. Plus I'm wondering if there is any weight reference of these hair balls, as our object is very light.
    A bit more background on the link above:
    http://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/claremuseum/news_events/evidence_hurling_west_clare.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 272 ✭✭DeepSleeper

That would be great if it turned out to be another one! What part of the country was it found in? (i.e. hurling country or non-hurling country?)

That would be great if it turned out to be another one! What part of the country was it found in? (i.e. hurling country or non-hurling country?)

Hi deepsleeper,
    It was found in county Meath, hardly a hot bed of hurling activity! Maybe it was in ancient times!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

It looks to me like some kind of musket shot or something like that. Or perhaps lead shot from a Canon. Where in Meath was it found?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

It looks to me like some kind of musket shot or something like that. Or perhaps lead shot from a Canon. Where in Meath was it found?

Id say the weight leans it towards a hurling ball.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 sean.casaidhe

Doesn't need to be found at depth to be archaeological. Lots of stuff can get brought to the surface.

Matches the description of a hurling ball - smooth hard exterior... I'd report it to the National Museum.

Duty Officer,
    National Museum of Ireland,
    Kildare Street,
    Dublin 2,
    Tel: 01 – 6777444

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

Grimes wrote: »
    Id say the weight leans it towards a hurling ball.

It seems a bit small for that though.....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 616 ✭✭✭pearljamfan

Doesn't need to be found at depth to be archaeological. Lots of stuff can get brought to the surface.

Matches the description of a hurling ball - smooth hard exterior... I'd report it to the National Museum.

Duty Officer,
    National Museum of Ireland,
    Kildare Street,
    Dublin 2,
    Tel: 01 – 6777444

If they do identify the object as a hurling ball, will they want to keep it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 185 ✭✭katkin

Duckytech wrote: »
    Hi katkin, thanks for your reply.

It does seem to be a pretty good match physically, but our one was found on grass not dug up from a depth. Plus I'm wondering if there is any weight reference of these hair balls, as our object is very light.
    A bit more background on the link above:
    http://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/claremuseum/news_events/evidence_hurling_west_clare.htm

Hi Ducky,

Pity they don't mention the object's weight but maybe if you contact Clare Museum they might give you more info. I don't think the National Museum would expect you to hand it over if it is one but not sure on that. Keep us posted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Feadpool

If it is something of archaeological significance the National Museum cant force you to hand it over, although they would technically have a right to claim ownership (for the State). they would over a finders fee to you, the more information you can offer them (about its location and circumstances of finding it), the better for you and them.
    I'd definitely recommend at least bringing it to a local museum or the archaeological dept. in a college, even just to get some answers for yourself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 139 ✭✭Aelfric

Feadpool wrote: »
    If it is something of archaeological significance the National Museum cant force you to hand it over, although they would technically have a right to claim ownership (for the State).

I'm afraid there's no 'technically' about it mate. If the find is of archaeological significance (rule of thumb - pre AD1700 in date), the NMI, through the National Monuments Legislation, have every right to seek the artefact from you. More to the point, as the finder of an archaeological artefact, you have 96 hours (4 days) in which to inform the Director of the National Museum of the finding of an object. Failure to do so may lead to severe financial penalties and a possible jail term if the matter is pursued through the courts. Even I, as a licence-eligible archaeologist, must declare the finding of an artefact the same as everyone else, unless I have an excavation licence for a particular site.

That said, the museum would be only too happy to take a look at the artefact the OP has in his/her possession, and would also advise of the legal implications. In all likelihood, the object would be considered of Cultural Heritage value and not strictly archaeological. Try taking it to Collins Barracks or Turlough Country Park to have it identified, rather than bringing it to Kildare Street.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Feadpool

Aelfric wrote: »
    I'm afraid there's no 'technically' about it mate. If the find is of archaeological significance (rule of thumb - pre AD1700 in date), the NMI, through the National Monuments Legislation, have every right to seek the artefact from you. More to the point, as the finder of an archaeological artefact, you have 96 hours (4 days) in which to inform the Director of the National Museum of the finding of an object. Failure to do so may lead to severe financial penalties and a possible jail term if the matter is pursued through the courts. Even I, as a licence-eligible archaeologist, must declare the finding of an artefact the same as everyone else, unless I have an excavation licence for a particular site.
    QUOTE]

While they do have the right to bring legal action against you they never would, unless a gold hoard of unimaginable value topped by illuminated manuscripts turned up and you refused to hand it over would the NMI bring legal action against. The idea is not to threaten or criminalise people who find things but are unsure of the legislation but to have the power to back up any demands for artefacts from people trying to sell or destroy them.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭katarin

I would suggest that what you might have found is a stone tool, a hammer stone possibly. Getting a local community archaeologist to identify it for you might spare you the attenion of the National Museum :P

Hi All,

I have got in touch with a contact in Mayo I got from Clare History Museum.
    Apparently this person has experience in dealing with hair hurling balls so it sounds like the person I need to talk to.

I left a message and am awaiting a reply.

Il let you know more when I do,

Thanks for the interest and replys! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LostCovey

Hi All,

I have got in touch with a contact in Mayo I got from Clare History Museum.
    Apparently this person has experience in dealing with hair hurling balls so it sounds like the person I need to talk to.

I left a message and am awaiting a reply.

Il let you know more when I do,

Thanks for the interest and replys! :)

Hi all,

I think this object is a bezoar or hair-ball, from the stomach of a cow. When they groom themselves, the loose hair is swallowed and can form a ball which gets polished in the stomach. In fact these may well be where the ancient "hurling balls" or sliotars actually come from.

More information here (half-way down the page) http://weftofwords.blogspot.com/2009_02_01_archive.html

and a photo of one here http://bp3.blogger.com/_c4twH_sjx5o/RosYlyBv9xI/AAAAAAAAAYE/MWlZvHOJWrg/s1600-h/hairball.jpg

I think they can be regurgitated and spat out by animals when they are chewing the cud.

Very interesting anyway, would love to hear the final outcome.

Best regards

LostCovey

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Maudi

If they do identify the object as a hurling ball, will they want to keep it?
    hi did you ever find out what it was?it reminds me of those gall stone type thingys cows sometimes pass in their dung:o

Advertisement