Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Working as a subcontractor.

Options
  • 04-10-2010 10:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭

What visa do i need to be able to work as a sub-contractor, i have heard that i need to show a turnover of 500k in the last 4 years, but my problem is the last 2 years where i have done very little but i have no problem in getting references and so on.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

Hey mate,
    You will probaly have more success asking question about visa's on this forum: www.britishexpats.com. There are alot of very knowlegeable people on this forum who have alot of experience of visa application including a couple of very good immigration agents.
    Alot of backpackers over here work on ABN which is pretty similar to being a subbie as they are basically self employed. none of them to my knowledge have ever been asked how much they've earned in the last 4 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Theimprover

aido79 wrote: »
    Hey mate,
    You will probaly have more success asking question about visa's on this forum: www.britishexpats.com. There are alot of very knowlegeable people on this forum who have alot of experience of visa application including a couple of very good immigration agents.
    Alot of backpackers over here work on ABN which is pretty similar to being a subbie as they are basically self employed. none of them to my knowledge have ever been asked how much they've earned in the last 4 years.

Cheers, will check it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,354 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

sub-contracting doing what???

you can work as a contractor on a WHV. I did it myself for a few months. 500k is nonsense. you could also do it on a PR visa. Basically working on an ABN number is contracting.

Mellor wrote: »
    sub-contracting doing what???

you can work as a contractor on a WHV. I did it myself for a few months. 500k is nonsense. you could also do it on a PR visa. Basically working on an ABN number is contracting.

As a fibrous plasterer, i am 32 so wont be able to get a WHV

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

try to concentrate on actually getting your visa first than worrying about what you are going to work at. Thats the east bit as there's tons of work here at the minute. Unless you can find someone to sponsor you though you are in for a long wait...possibly up to 2 years. I notice in one of your other posts that you mentioned visa first. I'd stay well clear of them and try to seek advice from a proper migration agent. One of my mates went through them to get his second year visa and they made a balls of it...and thats pretty hard to do!

• Advertisement

aido79 wrote: »
    try to concentrate on actually getting your visa first than worrying about what you are going to work at. Thats the east bit as there's tons of work here at the minute. Unless you can find someone to sponsor you though you are in for a long wait...possibly up to 2 years. I notice in one of your other posts that you mentioned visa first. I'd stay well clear of them and try to seek advice from a proper migration agent. One of my mates went through them to get his second year visa and they made a balls of it...and thats pretty hard to do!

Cheers aido, can you recomend any or have anyone else had some good experience with agents, i heard some where else that you would be better off with an Australian agent.

I jsut noticed that you were looking for sponsorship in the other thread.

Employer sponsorship = being an employee, so you can't be self employed or work as a sub-contractor.

You'll be able to get a work as a gyprocker (what they call it here btw), but you won't be a sub-contractor as you can't be self employed.

I jsut noticed that you were looking for sponsorship in the other thread.

Employer sponsorship = being an employee, so you can't be self employed or work as a sub-contractor.

You'll be able to get a work as a gyprocker (what they call it here btw), but you won't be a sub-contractor as you can't be self employed.

I know this, i am just keeping my options opened, trying to see the best and cheapest way to go.
    I have been self-employed for the last 8 years here with over 20men and subbies, so all i want to do is get in to oz and take it from there with evetually doing my own thing and building a good buisness.

Getting isn't in isn't hard. But if you leave a sponsorship job (even to start a business), your visa is up after 28 days.

If you want to start a business out here, then your only option at the minute is an independant skilled visa.

You could do 2 years plus sponsorship, then go for PR out here, skills assessment not required etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

You could do 2 years plus sponsorship, then go for PR out here, skills assessment not required etc.

That will only work for an ENS 856

You still need a skills assessment if you want to go independent, working on a 457 for 2 years wont do you much good except give you a few points for Australian work experience.

• Advertisement
Advertisement