Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What type of surfboard next?

Options
  • 04-10-2010 10:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭

I started surfing about 2 months ago after one lesson, I am trying now to get out 3 times a week, I was out on Saturday for 7 hrs as the surf was great. I am learning on a friends 7'10" Bic mini mal ( he is abroad) I can surf the white stuff and I can get up on some small green waves. My pop up is fast enough, but I am still improving with that. I have also started to turn the board across the waves. I notice that compared to my mates Nsp 7'10 that the Bic is is slower and a bit cumbersome. So I am hoping to ditch the Bic in the next few months or even sooner, What board should I be aiming for? btw I surf in Ireland I am 5'9" 10.5stone(147lbs) and I have good athletic fitness, but not so much with strength.

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭CRenegade

Hey,

I'm prob about the same height and weight and be in decent shape fitness wize like yourself. So, I went for a NSP 7'7" board, 2 & half years ago: http://www.surfaroundireland.com/2010/03/my-first-board-wetsuit.html

Ive downsized since to a custom 6'8".

You'll get advice from different people to go with a NSP like the one I had and also you'll get advice from others to go with a longboard.

Neither is wrong and I guess the decision is up to you, they both have their advantages!

I got on great with the board I had starting out so I have only good things to say about it! It offers more than the Bic's and allows a bit more manoeuvrability.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 SteviePitt

I'm only 14 and 5 ft 4 7 stone. but I have a 6ft 2 board .longboards are sooo slow and as you get bettter you'll never be able to go down the line or cut back.
    Id advise using a 6 ft 8 board it also depends what size waves you're surfing... Happy surfing

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭gerk86

SteviePitt wrote: »
    longboards are sooo slow and as you get bettter you'll never be able to go down the line or cut back.

false, learn how to longboard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Not The Real Scarecrow

I used to think longboards were slow till I had a few goes on my wifes board. Feckin almost **** myself the first time cause the speed in the take off really surprised me. Think if you have decent technique longboards are more suited to alot of the beach spots with smaller waves in Ireland,like the sout east.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭lamai

gerk86 wrote: »

Why learn how to longboard? is that the way I should surf? will it make me a better surfer? and be able to surf a short board when the time comes?

I am thinking of getting a shaped roger cooper 7" 6 mini mal in the next few months, but I could go long board if that was the way to go!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭thehangtenguy

A longboard is always the way to go. They rock!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

This may sound like a stupid question, but why do you want to change after surfing for 2 - 3 months? Progression in surfing takes years. Don't take this the wrong way but if people are surfing better around you its not necessarily because of the board they ride. With the Bic you should be able to take off consistently on unbroken waves and go left or right before moving to something shorter. Changing from a Bic to a similar sized NSP or any other brand won't improve your surfing, practice will.

xxyyzz wrote: »
    This may sound like a stupid question, but why do you want to change after surfing for 2 - 3 months? Progression in surfing takes years. Don't take this the wrong way but if people are surfing better around you its not necessarily because of the board they ride. With the Bic you should be able to take off consistently on unbroken waves and go left or right before moving to something shorter. Changing from a Bic to a similar sized NSP or any other brand won't improve your surfing, practice will.

The reason I am looking for another board is the board that I am learning on is a Bic 7'10 which is my mates and I might have to give it back anytime, so I will need to get one sooner or later. I was also told that Bic are not great and that once I can stand and turn on them, I should look to get another board as it will hold me back.

I go out with friends all beginners, they are not ahead of me in surfing terms, I am actually a bit ahead of them at the moment.I can turn the bic left or right. I am also starting to pop up alot quicker. And I have started to surf some green waves(when the conditions are right).

I am not looking at getting something shorter, just looking for advice on what I should get for my next surfboard. I am thinking about a 7'6 roger cooper shaped mini mal. but just looking for input

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

lamai wrote: »

I go out with friends all beginners, they are not ahead of me in surfing terms, I am actually a bit ahead of them at the moment.I can turn the bic left or right. I am also starting to pop up alot quicker. And I have started to surf some green waves(when the conditions are right).

Fair enough. It just seems to be a common theme on here that people are looking for this magical board that is gonna make them a better surfer. It doesn't work like that. Hours spent in the water makes you a better surfer.

When I say go left or right, I mean taking off on an unbroken wave (green wave as you call it) and being able to surf down the line on your front side or your back side and being able to make some sort of an attempt at a bottom turn. A Bic won't hold you back from doing this. Whatever board you buy make sure it has plenty of width and volume. Going too short too soon will be of no benefit to you. 7'9" sounds about right for your height and weight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭Cecil Mor

A longboard is always the way to go. They rock!

Wrong, longboards are for balding fat old men!
    A shortboard with less volume will rock dude, you'll be speeding down the line and snapping cutbacks before you know it.
    Best of all you'll be throwing spray in the faces of those fat old men every time you bang the lip.:D

If you get it shaped just be sure to go with a local shaper, they'll know the waves you'll be surfing so can shape it around your specific needs so that you can tear apart your favorite spot.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Jomob

Fair enough. It just seems to be a common theme on here that people are looking for this magical board that is gonna make them a better surfer. It doesn't work like that. Hours spent in the water makes you a better surfer.

When I say go left or right, I mean taking off on an unbroken wave (green wave as you call it) and being able to surf down the line on your front side or your back side and being able to make some sort of an attempt at a bottom turn. A Bic won't hold you back from doing this. Whatever board you buy make sure it has plenty of width and volume. Going too short too soon will be of no benefit to you. 7'9" sounds about right for your height and weight.
    Sense.

This is good advice. Just go for a 7'9" minimal if you're not sure whether you want to go for a longboard in the long run.

gerk86 wrote: »

yeh I used a longboard for a year (7 ft 6), at the time i was only five feet tall:D
    They kick ass!! Anyone here know any good beach breaks along the east coast dublin wicklow wexford area.. ??

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭OldGuysRule

7'6" is NOT a longboard.

If you were only 5 ft tall it is !
    If your 6 ft tall and you use a longboard it woul be 8 ft 8 ft 4.
    If I was 5 ft and I was usling a 7 ft 6 board then yes it is a longboard for my height!

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭OldGuysRule

A longboard is minimum 9ft regardless of your height.

A surfers height does not change the classification of any particular board, ie from a shortboard, to a minimal, to a longboard etc. The way they surf may change vis-a-vis the ratio of their height against the length of the board, but there are also a number of other factors such as weight.

Stevie, it might be time to learn a little

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭kodute

SteviePitt wrote: »
    If you were only 5 ft tall it is !
    If your 6 ft tall and you use a longboard it woul be 8 ft 8 ft 4.
    If I was 5 ft and I was usling a 7 ft 6 board then yes it is a longboard for my height!

Kid, it may well be a 'long board' for your height but that doesn't make it a longboard.

Thanks for the knowelledge man much appreciated.
    I'm only 14 and have only been surfing 2 years so don't get all mad with me, that I dont know stuff.
    Now is the time for learning?
    Just to clear things up... 5 ft tall ,5 stone in weight and riding a 7ft 6 board (is not a longboard.)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭rodento

Glides got a lovely battered al merrick that you could get for cheap;)

rodento wrote: »
    Glides got a lovely battered al merrick that you could get for cheap;)

Where? link?

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭loctite

Stay away from the Merrick, its going to be too small....

The worst mistake you can make is to get a board thats too small......
    Take the advice posted above. Go for a 7'6" - 7'9" with width (minimum 21" and volume (min 2 5/8"). Your surfing will progress much faster.

• Advertisement

loctite wrote: »
    Stay away from the Merrick, its going to be too small....

The worst mistake you can make is to get a board thats too small......
    Take the advice posted above. Go for a 7'6" - 7'9" with width (minimum 21" and volume (min 2 5/8"). Your surfing will progress much faster.

Yeah I will be going with a mini mal 7'6 -7'9". hopefully get a roger cooper shaped board from wales.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭rodento

If you young and light there is nothing wrong with starting on a decent short board

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭glide

how much is the roger cooper board?

glide wrote: »
    how much is the roger cooper board?

should be about 300 euro, £350 from factory but can be got cheaper in auction

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭glide

so you will be relying on getting the right board off ebay?
    speak to a irish shaper some of us give good deals too!!

Advertisement