Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Recommend a Bike/ bike shop in cork

• 04-10-2010 11:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭

Hi all
    Im trying to get fit and lose a bit of weight just wondering could anyone recommend a bike on a budget of 150 to 350 euro?
    I was thinking a hybrid with front suspension, id like to eventually build up my distance so I guess something comfortable.
    Thanks
    TimMac

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭ajk24

check out this thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055617308&highlight=bike+shop+cork

i always recommend West End Cycles in Ballincollig. Noel is a top man - very knowledgeable. He will often have decent bikes going 2nd hand as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

There's one not too far from where leCheilie used to be. It is called Kilgrews. If you're staggering home from the Franciscan, and you cross the footbridge, and follow on, you'll find it.

For a more coherent look, click here - safe to open, google...
    http://maps.google.com/maps/place?oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=cork+city+bike+shop&fb=1&gl=us&hq=bike+shop&hnear=Co.+Cork+City,+Ireland&cid=16354042510751137639

I like them, they have good stuff and don't try to sell you cr@p.

Slan

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭TimMac

thanks lads
    i will be buying new under the cycle to work scheme. any bike recommendations?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

The Edge on North Main street are great, they have broadend their stock of bikes, also Rohar on Barrick Street. Both places know their stuff... Best of luck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 247 ✭✭mockerydawg

I'd recommend Noel in West End Cycles too, he's very good at this end of the market. Rothar on Barrick are good, great for repairs too.

However I would avoid the bike shop in Douglas or Rothar in Carraigline. Both have given me very poor experiences, on par with Cyclogical in Dublin!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 landel

+1 for West End Cycles. Noel is fairly clued in and will give you all the options suitable for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭murph226

Got my bike from Noel Holmes aswell, he knows his stuff!

The bike was really well setup, didnt have to bring it back in for the first service until about 6 months later!

I know other lads who bought their bikes in some other places mentioned above and had problems with gears slipping after a couple of weeks, problems with wheels, bolts falling out and brakes rubbing!

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭TimMac

Cheers lads
    I presume the likes of Halfords only sell pure Sh1te!
    Can anybody recommend a bike?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 739 ✭✭✭papac

TimMac wrote: »
    Cheers lads
    I presume the likes of Halfords only sell pure Sh1te!
    Can anybody recommend a bike?

Halfords Carrera and Boardman bikes (not their cheapest) are generally reckoned to offer excellent value.
    Halfords staff can vary and its pot luck.
    Avoid suspension at all costs for on-road use.Its heavy,wastes your energy and doesn't really work unless you spend a lot.
    I have a Carrera Subway v-spec from halfords and I love it.Grand bike for the money.
    I am a pretty experienced bike mechanic though and never depended on Halfords staff for any thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

Another +1 for Noel Holmes. He'll help you choose the right bike. He is in the game a long time now.
    I was also seriously impressed the with the cycle shop "Speedy Spokes" in Riverstick when I called down there a few months back. Owner seemed like a nice guy, also enthusiastic & knew his stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭nicecupotay

papac wrote: »
    Avoid suspension at all costs for on-road use.Its heavy,wastes your energy and doesn't really work unless you spend a lot.

papac is right on this one,dont bother with suspension if your budget is 350,any suspension on bikes in that price range is pretty much ineffective so best to go with rigid(non suspension)forks as suspension would only add weight without any real benefit.

Also a lot of bikes will have large,chunky mountain bike tyres,again avoid these tyres if possible and go with slimmer road tyres(unless of course you intend on using it off road) as they would only make cycling more of a chore than is necessary.

Something along the lines of this;

http://www.halfords.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_11101_catalogId_15551_productId_779797_langId_-1_categoryId_212377

• Closed Accounts Posts: 339 ✭✭SurferDude41

I'd recommend Noel in West End Cycles too, he's very good at this end of the market. Rothar on Barrick are good, great for repairs too.

However I would avoid the bike shop in Douglas or Rothar in Carraigline. Both have given me very poor experiences, on par with Cyclogical in Dublin!

I would have to agree with you, The same guy who runs Douglas Cycles, runs SpeedySpoke in Riverstick.
    Very well stocked with high end road bikes, and accessories.
    All of his stuff is very overpriced:eek:
    I have had a couple of bad experiances, with this guys attitude. And would never buy anything from his shops ever again:rolleyes:
    And heaven forbid, if you try to make a warranty claim, on anything you buy there:eek:

Kilgrews in Kyle Street are great:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 247 ✭✭mockerydawg

If you buy from Halfords (especially Mahon), take it to one of the decent shops for a once over and never return to Halfords for a service. Take it from a guy who worked there and walked out after two days. Halfords don't do
    anything well but acne infected staff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭on_the_nickel

I would have to agree with you, The same guy who runs Douglas Cycles, runs SpeedySpoke in Riverstick.
    I have had a couple of bad experiances, with this guys attitude. And would never buy anything from his shops ever again:rolleyes:
    And heaven forbid, if you try to make a warranty claim, on anything you buy there:eek:

Interesting. Although it's by far the closest shop to me, I've stopped going to Douglas Cycles. A couple of times I left my bike in for a service (no complaints there in fairness) and when I went to collect it when on the day I was told it would be ready, it was closed - mid afternoon. Once, is fair enough maybe, but twice, enough to put me off.

Then last week I discovered a broken spoke, went past it at 2:30 on a Thursday, it was shut.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Funkyzeit

Kilgrews in Kyle Street are great:)

I've been to Speedy Spokes several times and never had 1 problem with Brian. I know the lads in my club swear by him too. One one occasion needed a new cassette urgently and had no chinwhip - he fitted one straight away - went home and checked CRC price - exact same as the total price he charged.
    Only been to his Douglas shop once and the two girls in there hadn't much of a clue - seem to cater for more low end/children/family bikes.

Noel in Ballincollig is good and knows his stuff but totally unorganised (always chaotic in there - he even will admit that himself due to lack of space). I dropped in a list to get prices off him - said he'd get back to me in a week that was in July and I've yet to hear back...

Bought quite a bit of stuff from Brian Speedy Spokes in the last year and thought it was reasonable enough?

Picked up some Assos gear there lately and it was the same price from Slanecycles and from what I can gather from on here they are about the cheapest around for Assos?

Pity Noel doesnt move to a larger premises and start stocking more bikes and accessories!

Havent been to Victorias Cross so cant comment, but at least they have a half decent website (compared to other Cork shops)!

Called into Kilgrews on a lunchbreak from work one day to get a pair of shoes, ok selection of gear but the they were having trouble with the shops alarm system and the two lads were busy so I went to the Edge.

Heard great things about An Rothar in Midleton but was dissapointed when I got there, not much clothing or gear in stock!
    Their shop in Carrigaline looks good but seems more mtb orientated!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,685 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

murph226 wrote: »
    Heard great things about An Rothar in Midleton but was dissapointed when I got there, not much clothing or gear in stock!
    Their shop in Carrigaline looks good but seems more mtb orientated!

Not the same dudes as far as I'm aware Rothar Barrack street and Caragline are owned by Aidan Quinlan. Don't know who owns the shop in Midelton.

Sorry my bad, thought it was the same crowd!

Whats the shop in Barrack St like?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 596 ✭✭✭minterno

i found noel in westend cycles ballincollig to be v honest,all my lot,brothers have used him,gives good trade in prices. also as a previos poster said it can be a mad house at times,very busy,but i think thats an indication of how highly he is thought of,keep away from it on a friday,saturday morn is not to bad. an rothar in midleton is also a good spot if you can catch himself,i bought a good bit of stuff off him in the last few months and was taken care of always,he's good to knock off a few bob here and there as well

I'll have to keep that in mind about the trade-ins, only have the bike about a 9 months and already thinking of upgrading :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement