Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Residential CAT6 Installer In Galway?

Options
  • 04-10-2010 11:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

I've just bought a new house and am getting a bit of work done before i move in.

One thing i thought of doing was getting the house wired up with cat6 networking and a patch box.

I have three questions for anyone who might know:

How big a job is this, will I have to punch holes in walls everywhere to do it or is there some "magic way" they can be fed along existing electrical wires. I'm guessing its the former I'd have to punch holes all over the place but thought i'd check first.

Secondly does anyone know a tradesman in Galway who does this type of work. I'm guessing its an electrician's job but i want someone who knows their networking stuff and doesn't get me dodgy cables and a patch panel that doesn't terminate them properly.

Lastly what is he state of the art in terms of patch panels and cables, is their anything I should be on the look out for or avoid, imagine money was not an object for a moment.

Thanks for your help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭bhickey

How big a job is this, will I have to punch holes in walls everywhere to do it or is there some "magic way" they can be fed along existing electrical wires. I'm guessing its the former I'd have to punch holes all over the place but thought i'd check first.

This depends on how the house was originally wired. If there is trunking to the existing electrical points then extra wires can probably be brought through this trunking and new boxes mounted on the wall next to the existing sockets. In partition walls (mainly upstairs) then the wires are more likely to not be in any trunking so this might be more difficult. In this case you can probably work down from the attic.
    Secondly does anyone know a tradesman in Galway who does this type of work. I'm guessing its an electrician's job but i want someone who knows their networking stuff and doesn't get me dodgy cables and a patch panel that doesn't terminate them properly.

Yes it's a good electrician that you need. They don't need to know anything about networking, just know how to connect the right wires to the right connections. PM me and I can send you details of an electrician that I know has experience in this area.

Lastly what is he state of the art in terms of patch panels and cables, is their anything I should be on the look out for or avoid, imagine money was not an object for a moment.

Probably the most important thing to think about in a house is where you're going to need the network points and how many in each location. Don't be afraid to pull one or two extra cables to a particular area as it's not a lot of extra work if you do it all at the start. Also give yourself as much room as possible around the patch panel(s). You can get hinged brackets to hold the patch panel(s) which make access easier if you have to make changes later.

Advertisement