Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Satelite is the only way?

• 05-10-2010 1:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 10

i have recently had a major falling out with eircom as they would not let me pay a very high bill partly...as in they disconected me and wouldnt reconect me unless i paid in full..i tried to go to vodafone but eircom have "held"the line..so im stuffed i have a dongle (vodafone)but i use my internet for everything from watching soccer online to the latest movies...but the biggest thing i have missed is playing my xbox online...playing fifa 11 on your own is very boring..lol..

I looked at the satelite broadband and they all seem very expensive bar 1 abb?(i think thats the 1)..its been slagged off on here before..

Any ideas..i live in the county cork if that helps..cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 590 ✭✭✭blaz

Not directly an answer to your question, but I'm pretty sure it is illegal for Eircom to hold on to your phone number even if you owe them money. Contact Comreg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

blaz wrote: »
    Not directly an answer to your question, but I'm pretty sure it is illegal for Eircom to hold on to your phone number even if you owe them money. Contact Comreg.

I do believe since the op has an oustanding balance they can do what they want with the line.

If they don't want the op to get vodafone, They will not release the line to vodafone.

COMREG will never do there jobs!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Satellite is definitely not suitable for Xbox Live, ping times are a minimum of 700ms.
    Forget it and pay what You owe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

gbillyjnr wrote: »
    i have recently had a major falling out with eircom as they would not let me pay a very high bill partly...as in they disconected me and wouldnt reconect me unless i paid in full..i tried to go to vodafone but eircom have "held"the line..so im stuffed i have a dongle (vodafone)but i use my internet for everything from watching soccer online to the latest movies...but the biggest thing i have missed is playing my xbox online...playing fifa 11 on your own is very boring..lol..

I looked at the satelite broadband and they all seem very expensive bar 1 abb?(i think thats the 1)..its been slagged off on here before..

Any ideas..i live in the county cork if that helps..cheers

As far as satellite goes, You will need some sort of a connection to upload, As you are not able to do so with satellite.

Also satellite is an absolute no go for gaming!! The pings are atrocious.

If you can't get upc, I would go back to eircom with my tail between my legs, They are **** but they are your only option.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭apope8

I used to have satellite broadband and I found it heavily interfered with the sky satellite, I dunno if this is an issue for you but its def something to keep in mind

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,303 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

How much was the bill, and why did they claim it was so high? Maybe getting that sorted would be a better idea, unless you know that you're guilty?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 gbillyjnr

the bill is 360 euro but thats is a combanation of my telphone and broadband..so satelite is defo a no no..i asked themif i paid 200 euro would they reconect my services they said no..(and id pay the rest the following month)they dont seem to understand what sort of position people are in..
    im sure im not the only 1 who is struggling to pay bills at the moment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

It's up to eircom to decide whether they let you pay in instalments or not, and I've never heard of them allowing this for anyone. As such, you're just going to have to pay the full amount to get your phone reconnected. You will not be able to change provider until all outstanding debt associated with that line is cleared.

You should put the €200 you have now aside, then next month when you have the rest of the money you pay it all off in one go. You'll be without Internet for 1 month.

If you money is tight, then you'll have to keep your phone usage to a minimum in future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,303 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

the bill is 360 euro but thats is a combanation of my telphone and broadband..

<snip>

im sure im not the only 1 who is struggling to pay bills at the moment
    I'm sure you are not the only one struggling to pay bills, but if you want the luxury of playing FIFA online, you'll need to sort your bills out. How about €180 this month, and €180 next month, so that you can clear the debt? Heck, how do you plan on paying for the satelite if you can't pay off bills that you owe?

Finally, where do you live? Can you get broadband though the NTL box? May work out cheaper having TV, BB, and phones through the one company.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Thor wrote: »
    [1]As far as satellite goes, You will need some sort of a connection to upload, As you are not able to do so with satellite.

[2]Also satellite is an absolute no go for gaming!! The pings are atrocious.

[3]If you can't get upc, I would go back to eircom with my tail between my legs, They are **** but they are your only option.

[1]Real satellite service is two way. The services with only download are rubbish. You get whatever speed down and up you pay for

[2]Correct. The distance to Satellite and speed of light means a minimum ping of about 790ms

[3]Correct. Pay the eircom bill. Satellite install could be equal to x2 what you owe eircom.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Just order a new line from another provider, they can't stop that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

eircom install all lines. There's no way around the fact that a bill is outstanding and needs to be paid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

You don't have to deal with eircon if you request the new line from another provider, the unpaid bill remains but they cannot stop another provider from requesting an install.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

Say I moved into the OP's house to rent a room, Eircom couldn't stop me from ordering a new line from another provider could they? I mean his unpaid bill would have nothing to do with me, right? So,couldn't the OP just get someone in his house to order a new line?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

Fair play to eircom for cutting you off.

If they were to continue to allow you access to their broadband service before you have paid them the outstanding amount owed, then you would only be getting yourself into deeper debt.

grow up and pay what you owe them. Perhaps try to use some of the free time you have now you're not on line so much to earn some money to pay your bill.

The solution is easy :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 164 ✭✭wires

seems like a no-brainer to me. you use a service you pay for it. when you go into mcdonnalds do you ask if you can pay for half now and half tomorrow. seems to me like your just trying to weasel your way out of it, remember you were the one who made the phone calls and used the dsl. god forbid you might have to do without the booze for a couple of weekends.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

i have a dongle (vodafone)but i use my internet for everything from watching soccer online to the latest movies...but the biggest thing i have missed is playing my xbox online...playing fifa 11 on your own is very boring..lol..

how good is your vodafone mid-band connection? this can be used for xbox live when connected via a pc - not really desirable as ping won't be great but it may be a bit better than the satelite option your looking at with a lot less cost.

Advertisement