Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

puppy wont stop crying at night!

Options
  • 05-10-2010 6:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭

my puppy will not stop crying when it is on its own at night, ive had the pup for about 4 days now, shes a collie/springer spaniel cross and shes 7 weeks old.. shes very hyper, and will not sleep in her bed, the only way she will sleep is on the sofa sitting beside one of us.. anyone know how to get her to stop crying at night?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

You have to ignore her. Already shes taught you to bring her in to you to make her sleep so she knows if she cries she gets your attention.

Also 4 days is nothing, plus at 7 weeks its far too young to be taken from the mother and the litter so you are going to have a puppy that cries for a while until it settles in.

I suggest you get a crate for bed time. Tire the pup out before bed by playing with it, then put her into the crate with a toy or a treat and leave her.

Do not go down to ehr at all, even if she cries for hours which could happen. If you go down to her she learns that she gets your attention by crying.

You need to be tough and hang in there but if you do this for a few nights she should be fine then.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

celica1994 wrote: »
    my puppy will not stop crying when it is on its own at night, ive had the pup for about 4 days now, shes a collie/springer spaniel cross and shes 7 weeks old.. shes very hyper, and will not sleep in her bed, the only way she will sleep is on the sofa sitting beside one of us.. anyone know how to get her to stop crying at night?

you have only had the pup 4 days, they crying wont stop in such a short space of time, plus your pup is very young 7 weeks, she should still be with her mother, so lots of crying is expected... it will last weeks...

you must be consistent, does she have a teddys in her bed?? You need to make it her own... she is afraid and at 7 weeks im not surprised to be honest.... she is very lonely just lost her mum and siblings, all puppies crave is attention it will take months for her to full settle in...

With reagrd to her being hyper, she is apup ALL puppies are mental until 18 months.... thats why they are soo adoreable :D

Collies are very intelligent dogs... i would suggest lost of training and socialsing once she has been given the all clear to go out from your vet...
    spaniels are very excitable dogs will require lots of excecise ... so ask your vet when she has been cleared how long each day he/she would recommend!

Welcome to the world of puppies :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

I agree with above, crate training is the way to go, it keeps them safe(no chewing dangerous stuff etc) and helps with toilet training.
    Do a search for crate training and you'll get loads of advice, the main thing is at 7 weeks the pup can't hold its bladder or bowels for long, so before you go to bed, let the pup out for a pee/poop, I would set an alarm for every 2 1/2 -3 hrs at night, get up and let the pup out, then first thing in the morning.
    One tip is to carry the pup from the crate to outside for the first while, as if their bladder is full they'll pee when the leave the crate, so if you carry the pup to the garden and set it down, it will pee within seconds, use a word/phase "do your business or go pee"etc, and praise the pup and in a couple of weeks you'll be well on your way.
    The getting up in the night will only be for a while, after about 10 or 12 weeks of age, start to add 10 mins every night or so to the length between alarms. By 4 or 5 months you should have the pup pretty well trained, maybe only having to get up once in the night.(if at all)
    Training varies with every dog, my older boy was near 5 months before he went every night(6 1/2-7 hrs) without a toilet break, the younger girl was fine from about 4 months.

Edited to ad, my two sleep in crates in the hall, they started off in the bedroom doorway, once they could see us they slept quietly, I gradually moved the crates out into the hall away from the doors and into a corner, now they're fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭yolanda

Unfortunately you have to be cruel to be kind and ignore your new puppy. You have to be very firm and don't allow practices that you won't be able to continue. e.g between the 2 of you on the couch.

Agree with the crate training. He won't like that either but if you put him in it while you are around just for a short period. He will whine and bark but DON'T LET HIM OUT as you're just rewarding his behaviour. When he is eventually quiet give him a treat or let him out.

The crying could continue for a couple of weeks but just remember to be fair and firm and it won't last forever. He'll settle once he gets used to the place. Have fun!

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭C2

I dont think that taking a hardline approach with a 7 week old puppy is the way to go. He's too young to have been taken form his mother and clearly is really distressed (I'm not blaming you for this btw)

We have a 10 month old now and when we got him at 11 weeks he was very unhappy at night. What we did was bring him upstairs while we got ready for bed, allowed him to fall asleep (takes about 10 mins) and brought him down to his bed half asleep which had a warm hot water bottle under the blankets (and a few furry toys). We also left a kiddie light on for him (light really helped as we discovered he didnt like the dark). He settled in a couple of days, crying only the odd night which would last less than 2 mins. Now we have a really well balanced happy dog. He's gone to bed before we do at night, he loves going to bed (ps we stopped the hot water bottle after a few weeks once he was settled!).

You can get your animals to come around to your rules with a little love and TLC.
    Anyway, best of luck whatever you decide to do but NNB make sure that his toys are baby safe and that there is nothing he can get his mits into at night that can cause a problem for him.

C

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭Betsy18

i know it's hard to do to the puppy but ignoring it is the best way to resolve the issue. I got my pup at 8 wks old, she cried non stop for 3 nights in a row. We ignored it, then my vet recommended getting a hot water bottle and putting it in her bed. i made her bed so comfy by putting a hot water bottle in it, teddies, i put on the radio and would keep it on radio 1 and turn off the light. she settled in no problem and sleeps soundly all night since!!:D

sorry just like to add...

Im not a fan of crate training.... not starting a debate here, but i dont feel they are necessary and are way too harsh for a 7 weeks old puppy... i have never used them on my guy, he has his bed in the kitchen etc and theres not a bother on him :D

Best of luck, be consistent and firm but with TLC your little pup will be fine :P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 949 ✭✭✭maxxie

let her sleep in your bed ya nazi :p

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭celica1994

i dont know what ill do with her, she wont sit in the bed when i put her in it, the closest thing is the sofa, put a blanket around her and she falls asleep lol, im just trying my best to ignore her at night but im a light sleeper when it comes to any kind of noise at night, i just hope the crying stops eventually

ps- shes pulling my bed asonder as i type this, mad dog lol!

i dont know what ill do with her, she wont sit in the bed when i put her in it, the closest thing is the sofa, put a blanket around her and she falls asleep lol, im just trying my best to ignore her at night but im a light sleeper when it comes to any kind of noise at night, i just hope the crying stops eventually

ps- shes pulling my bed asonder as i type this, mad dog lol!

That the price you pay when you get a new puppy. Your life and routine will be turned upside down for weeks, even months so you will just have to get used to it im afraid.

If you spoil and fuss over the pup now you will be heading for major problems in the future so start as you mean to go on.

Crate training would really help your situation so i really do advise you to look into it.
    You have to ignore them full stop. Ive a 16 week old pup at the mo and she was waking at 3am and crying solid for an hour but i ignore and she stopped after a few nights. Shes sleeping from 11pm to at least 7am without waking so you need to be very tough.
    If you give in now you will never get a routine going properly.

Try tiring her out just before bed which will help the sleep but she will cry so you have to be prepared for that im afraid but if you get tough now it wont take as long, maybe a few nights or a week and she will be fine.

Collies are high energy dogs so once shes ready for walks and stuff i would make sure shes getting enough exercise as she will have your place wrecked if you dont.

• Advertisement

Honestly it will stop... over time, some pups stop quciker than others.. my cocker took 3 months...

when you put her in her bed, give her a treat, so she knows her bed is good etc! try a stuffed puppy kong... she will lie in herbed licking this etc... over time she will learn to like her bed, but for know she prefers to be with her parents... but you have to try and ignore the crying, give her teddies and kongs etc... so she see's her bed as fun etc!!

http://www.zooplus.ie/shop/dogs/dog_toys_dog_training/puppy_toys

here's loads of stuff to keep her happy in her bed

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭celica1994

ive only had her a few days and im exhausted, god love me if this carrys on any longer lol

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

ive only had her a few days and im exhausted, god love me if this carrys on any longer lol

Well, it will pay off :D

My pup used to cry for hours, but is now completely whine free when left alone now. It took him a few months but he learned crying = useless. If you start to give in to her, she will start taking advantage.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭lucylu19

when I got my pup 4 years ago.. the first night was awful.. he cried for ages and everybody told me to let him cry but it was unbearable so I brought his bed up to my bed and he slept..waking every couple of hours wanting to play!!
    The second night I didn't even try leaving him down stairs just brought him up with me. And on the 3rd night I left him down stairs with a hot waterbottle in his bed and he's been fine ever since!!

Each pup is different just do what you think will work for you and your dog. They just have to get used to their surroundings. Maybe give him a teddy or leave the radio on low.

yes, I have to agree with the softly approach. She just wants reassurance and she'll settle- toys, nice bed, radio on, hot water bottle and low light overnight and she will settle. Crates etc seem a bit ott- sure put her into a more confined space but a crate :eek:. Sorry I'm anti-crates, you can achieve anything with a calm reassured dog without having to resort to a crate.

C2 wrote: »
    yes, I have to agree with the softly approach. She just wants reassurance and she'll settle- toys, nice bed, radio on, hot water bottle and low light overnight and she will settle. Crates etc seem a bit ott- sure put her into a more confined space but a crate :eek:. Sorry I'm anti-crates, you can achieve anything with a calm reassured dog without having to resort to a crate.

Sorry but do you know much about crate training?

Crates are a great way for a dog to feel secure and safe as its like a little den to them where they can go and have their own space. Most dogs love their crates, mine included and ive crate my rottie pup from 10 weeks and she loves it.
    Crate training is fantastic for toilet training and if your pup is a chewer/destroyer.
    So unless you have tried crate training i wouldnt be so quick to knock it.

Its recommended by experienced dog trainers and owners as it works and dogs love going into their own space where they can chill out themselves.

BTW the pulling things asunder phase goes on for a looooooong time so I suggest hiding your valuables or putting them out of reach.

Found our dog devouring a couple of books yesterday- he got further through them than I did!! Of course he does this in secret and when he hears footsteps approaching he tears for his bed and plays asleep. He's slowly growing out of it but we have to check that there's nothing lying around if we're going out and leaving him alone for an hour or two!

Andreac

I'd prefer not to get into the pros and cons of crate training. From my side, I read up a lot about it and spoke to a couple of vets and my decision was not to crate train because I felt that there were mixed feeling in what I read/heard. If your dog likes it fair enough. It obviously works for some people and not for others. I'm in the latter camp.

I'm just trying to offer alternatives.

Have to agree with C2 on this one...

Wouldnt be a fan of crate training... personally i think its cruel to lock a dog in a cage, so it doesn't soil and feels safe etc.... i would never consider it... but its a personal choice...

no disrepect to people who crate train but it not for me or my dogs
    But thats just me.. :p

I've had dogs my whole life and now my own in adult life and we never did it... i think its kinda lazy way of training if im honest...

our guy adores his bed, but we dont lock him in or force him in etc its his choice.... plus the idea of crates and cages clogging up my kitchen.. no thanks, his bed, bowls and endless toys are enough...

OP best of luck with your puppy, give it time , patience and it will work out...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

OP I found this brilliant for our guy - he'd konk out as soon as he was put into the crate with it. It stays warm all night - lol i was cold at the weekend and used it to heat my bed!! :pac: :pac: Anyhoos I had the crate up in my room with his little bed in it and he never ever cried at night - except in the early hours to be taken out to the loo! The walls in our house are paper thin so leaving him crying downstairs wasn't really an option - the whole house and the neighbours would have been up so thats why I went with the crate. Once he was house trained at 3 months I stopped putting him in the crate at night. Also he's a golden retriever and like cocker5 says the crate was getting in the way so it was 'phased out'.
    Also our guy used to and still goes hyper some times before a poo so the pup might be getting hyper in the evening if it needs to go to the loo? The food you feed them can make a difference too - our guy really calmed down after I switched him from RC to Burns.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭Storminateacup

Why on earth is this puppy away from its mummy?
    It's most likely missing its mummy and litter, I'd suggest maybe a warm (not hot) hotwaterbottle under it's blanket and a Teddy in it's bed.

I know it's hard, but don't give in to her crying, no matter how much it's killing you. Dogs are easily spoiled. My Jack russell is still sleeping in my bed after 4 years despite him only initially coming to bed for "the first few nights". He'd absolutely roar the house down should he be left on his own now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

Snugglesafes are a great alternative to hot water bottles from a safety point of view.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned yet... food!
    A 7 week old pup should be fed at least 4 times a day, if not 5 or 6 depending on the pup. Pups tend to settle a lot better when they've a tummy full of food, and I have always fed pups last thing at night to ensure a quiet night!
    The rules of a quiet pup: empty bladder and bowel, warm bed, radio with voices or classical music on a fairly low volume, and a full tummy!
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

first night I got my now passed away golden retriever I couldn't bear to hear him, so he came into the room in a box. I woke up in the morning with him asleep beside me on the pillow :D

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shanao

Its not too difficult really- start off with ignoring her, then add in a hot waterbottle into her bed and put a clock somewhere near her bed; the ticking sounds like the mother's heartbeat and should help her relax. Springers are highly intelligent dogs so she should get it quickly enough. Dogs do everything by habit so you really are best of ignoring her- give in and she'll learn that that works. And she will definitely use that to her advantage over and over again.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

andreac wrote: »
    You have to ignore them full stop. Ive a 16 week old pup at the mo and she was waking at 3am and crying solid for an hour but i ignore and she stopped after a few nights. Shes not sleeping from 11pm to at least 7am without waking so you need to be very tough.

You have your 16 week old puppy holding her bladder and her bowel for eight hours successfully?

You have your 16 week old puppy holding her bladder and her bowel for eight hours successfully?

Yeah, i cant believe it myself. I put her in her crate the other night at 11pm and i got up at 7 and she was still asleep so shes been doing great this week and sleeping for that long, its fantastic. Even when i let her out in the morning shes not rushing to get straight out to go.

Its different during the day though, i have to bring her out more regularly as she needs to go but at night shes sleeping the whole night, in her crate:)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

uberwolf wrote: »
    first night I got my now passed away golden retriever I couldn't bear to hear him, so he came into the room in a box. I woke up in the morning with him asleep beside me on the pillow :D

Our guy is a GR too - I used to have the crate in my room, then once he was house trained I let him up on the bed and he'd have a lie in with me. Then he got too bold and lazy to come up the stairs at night and my 4 legged hot water bottle was gone :pac: We have no carpet on the stairs and the sound of him clattering up the stairs in the morning used to make my heart stop so I stopped letting him up for fear he'd fall down.

Ah OP it's all ahead of you - I rememeber coming on here to share my joy the morning our guy slept to 7 am :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭moving_home

andreac wrote: »
    Yeah, i cant believe it myself. I put her in her crate the other night at 11pm and i got up at 7 and she was still asleep so shes been doing great this week and sleeping for that long, its fantastic. Even when i let her out in the morning shes not rushing to get straight out to go.

Its different during the day though, i have to bring her out more regularly as she needs to go but at night shes sleeping the whole night, in her crate:)

+1 for crate training. My puppy was holding it for 7/8 hours by 16 weeks using crate training. I started leaving the crate open by this stage as she was basically toilet trained. She had the odd accident but that was if I went to bed earlier than usual.

I started off by feeding her in the crate, giving her treats in there and putting her in without locking the door to get used to it. This helped her view the crate as a den and safe place and she loves it. Its also really handy when we go away somewhere to bring her bed and gives her a sense of home when we are away. Even though she is 8mths old now and fully toilet trained I can't see myself getting rid of it cos she loves it so much.

I am a new dog owner and all got advice on here re the crate training and all and it has been such a help!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭Jinxi

When we got our pup(@12 weeks btw...7 weeks WAY too early) we decided to crate train, but had the misgivings about her being alone too so I slept in the sitting room beside her for the first few nights, then in the bedroom next to the sitting room with the doors open for the next month. A reassuring voice was enough after the first night. Around a week in this changed to a shhhh. Until she was 16 weeks she cried every night at 4/5 pm because she needed to pee. At week 16 it got later and later and she was sleeping from 12 to 8 at 17 weeks.

Really why I wanted to post was because if your pup is a collie springer mix, the whining may be more difficult to deal with as both these breeds are real people pleasers and love being in constant physical contact with their owners.:o

• Advertisement
Advertisement