Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dogs pooing in garden

Options
  • 05-10-2010 8:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I have an issue with dogs pooing in my garden. My neighbours on both sides have little terriers that are left out all day roaming around the road. Every single day when I get home there are nice presents left in my garden. This wouldn't be that big a deal to me really but I have two 2 year olds who then want to play football in it. I have to clean it up every day before we can go out there.

Is there anything I can use to discourage them from doing this? I have tried the "Get Off" spray but it hasn't achieved anything. I don't want to harm the dogs in any way of course as they are very friendly dogs and my kids love seeing them and rubbing them. I also don't want to cause an argument with the neighbours who we get on very well with and I feel bringing up the fact they leave the dogs roaming all day may cause tension.

Apologies if this has been covered before (which I am sure it has to have been) but I did a search and couldn't see anything covering it.

Any advice welcome.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭ppink

I am not sure you have any real options except either a fence or talk to your neighbours.
    I tried those get off or scent off things before and never had any joy with them and I am not sure of anything else that works.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭adser53

As you said you get on well with your neighbours, I'd just say it to them if I were you. It's not fair that you have to clean up after their dogs in your own garden and they can only be reasonable if you approach them about it.

I'm not going to go on about how wrong it is for dogs to be roaming (that's a whole other kettle of fish) but short of putting a fence around your property/closing gates etc, there's virtually nothing you can do unless you talk to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭rua327

This is a simple case of manners.. My dog used to go in my neighbours garden until I chastised it, and apologised to the neighbours, now she doesnt do it anymore... Speak with your neighbours...

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭TskTsk

Get yourself a big box of white pepper and sprinkle it all over your lawn. They'll soon find somewhere else to relieve themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

I had the same problem for years, one local dog even left a *present* on my door step(the actual step!) several times. Its pointless talking to people here about roaming dogs as it seems to be the accepted norm, I'm considered odd for keeping my dogs in and walking them several times a day.
    I don't mind cleaning up after my dogs but not everyone else's, my only option in the end was a fence.
    It doesn't need to be expensive or ugly, you can use the wooden picket fence(you can buy panels of this in B&Q and places like that) or wire and posts, it only needs to be high enough to keep the dogs out.
    Sorry I can't give you a magic cure for this problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,654 ✭✭✭Milly33

I would defiantly say it to the neighbours also. I cannot belive they knowingly would leave it there especially seen as you have two young kids.

If it was me and my dog I would not feel bothered if my neighbours said that to me in a nice why "would you mind either cleaning it up in the evenings or straight away when you see it", nothing bad it is their responsibilty...

One you coudl try (I have done this and sometimes it works, sometimes ti doesnt) but fill a few drink bottles 7up/Coke ltr ones with water, and place them on the grass in radom spots. Deters the dogs from going on the grass them.Again tis a hit and miss..Or you could try getting a little sensor that gives off a noise when the dogs approach the grass

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

To be honest I don't see them doing anything to stop it if I say it to them. They both work all day and leave the dog outside while they are away...that ain't going to change I imagine. They bring it in when they get home and I have seen them take the dog out some nights and they stand next to it watching it while he craps in our garden.

Another 5 neighbours have dogs also. They keep them in their gardens and only take them out a few times a day and always ensure they don't crap in other peoples gardens.

I might try the bottle thing...thought that was only for cats.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭BengaLover

I had the same problem.. I went to the neighbours and pleasantly informed them that their dog was crapping on my lawn and would they mind if I dealt with it by scaring the dog off by spraying it with a hose next time I saw it hanging about.
    I said I wouldnt want to be cruel to it, just scare it off.
    They were only to happy to co-operate and in the spirit of friendly neighbourliness each time the dog appeared in my view I dashed outside and turned the hose on it.
    You could also try one of those spray cans they use at football matches if you dont have a hose handy, or a can of deodorant, they hate that noise!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Ludo wrote: »
    ..and I have seen them take the dog out some nights and they stand next to it watching it while he craps in our garden.

I have to say, from the above, you're being very careful and considerate towards people that don't seem very considerate towards you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

To be honest I don't see them doing anything to stop it if I say it to them. They both work all day and leave the dog outside while they are away...that ain't going to change I imagine. They bring it in when they get home and I have seen them take the dog out some nights and they stand next to it watching it while he craps in our garden.

Another 5 neighbours have dogs also. They keep them in their gardens and only take them out a few times a day and always ensure they don't crap in other peoples gardens.

I might try the bottle thing...thought that was only for cats.

As far as i know there is a law against leaving your dog to wander the street and also to soil and not be cleaned up after them.First off neglect and second off causing a nuisance.
    I would ring the dog warden see what they say you can do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

caseyann wrote: »
    As far as i know there is a law against leaving your dog to wander the street and also to soil and not be cleaned up after them.First off neglect and second off causing a nuisance.
    I would ring the dog warden see what they say you can do.

I am aware that the warden can do something about this alright but I really want to avoid going down this route. I can do without pissing off my neighbours on both sides. This would be a real last resort...in fact I would prefer to put up with it then go that route.

I guess I should man up and say it to them directly and politely. Just wanted to avoid this if possible as I have seen these kind of encounters go rapidly downhill before and lead to long term tension. It is not like they do it out of malice. They are just a bit heedless of what the dog is doing. It doesn't bother them having poo in their own garden (even though they also have kids under 6) so they seem to think no-one else is bothered also.

Thanks anyway for all the suggestions folks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

I am aware that the warden can do something about this alright but I really want to avoid going down this route. I can do without pissing off my neighbours on both sides. This would be a real last resort...in fact I would prefer to put up with it then go that route.

I guess I should man up and say it to them directly and politely. Just wanted to avoid this if possible as I have seen these kind of encounters go rapidly downhill before and lead to long term tension. It is not like they do it out of malice. They are just a bit heedless of what the dog is doing. It doesn't bother them having poo in their own garden (even though they also have kids under 6) so they seem to think no-one else is bothered also.

Thanks anyway for all the suggestions folks.

Pick up a leaflet about Toxicara:mad: some people are so ignorant.
    I would do what you said first,but it is their own fault if they do not sort it out.
    Problem yes having to cause bad friction between yous but you shouldnt care,your kids health is priority.
    I wouldnt care and tell them straight their dogs clean it,and deal with it.
    P.s you ringing dog warden about dogs been left out roaming can be just happens the dog warden is in area and saw them wandering;)

Advertisement