Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Subjects for lc that were not taken for jc

• 05-10-2010 9:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭

Can a student take up subjects for the lc for example art that they did not sit for the jc?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭Ciaramb92

You can but a lot of schools won't allow it unless the course is different.

Art I would say you could because it's mainly art history which wasn't covered in JC. However there obviously is still practical art so you would need to be very arty to do well.

I know girls who didn't do JC business and are now doing LC business and they are getting on fine. Same with science. Apparently music is too hard to start from scratch for the LC.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭shefra

Thanks ciaramb92

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

You've two years to pick up the junior cert stuff, and lets face it, Junior Cert stuff won't be awfully difficult to pick up in your first few weeks of fifth year. With consistent work, it won't be an issue for you either way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Wouldn't be advisable but its definitely possible. Sure I'm a repeat (:() and I'm only starting Construction this year and the only type of experience I have with it is T.G. from Junior Cert.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

I took up business and it's grand, I don't see why there'd be a problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Improbable

For the sciences, they basically tell you to forget whatever you learned and start from scratch so that wouldn't be a problem.

Edit: Actually, can you even choose to not do science for JC?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭musicloverx

^ i think so, not fully sure but i remember for jc there was a few that studied art and home ec in my school and not a science subject

but back to your question ya you can pick up a subject, just think of it as starting from stratch..theirs two in my art class who took it up in 5th year and didnt do it for jc and their brill if not better than a lot of us who did it, its a fresh start :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭Ciaramb92

Improbable wrote: »
    For the sciences, they basically tell you to forget whatever you learned and start from scratch so that wouldn't be a problem.

Edit: Actually, can you even choose to not do science for JC?

Our school it was a choice subject but you had to do a language (French or German) but the lads next door had to do Science and a language was a choice. Think either of them is the way in most places.

Most of us (the girls) did Science while most of the lads did a language.

Advertisement