Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shrubs Too much too late

Options
  • 05-10-2010 9:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭

Hi all I am new here so be kind,:) I have created a raised bank in the back garden for my mum, and I was wondering is it too late now to plant it with shrubs and so on?

I am also looking for some reccomendations as to were is best value to get these around the Dundalk area, but seen as the area to be planted is 8 foot wide and 35 foot long I presume I will need a fair bit of plants so I will travel for better deals.

Main question, is it too late in the year to plant up?

Thanks,
    Mick

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Spring and Autumn are good times to plant, so if you do it in the next couple of weeks, you'll be grand.
    Make sure to check how much sun the area gets before deciding what to plant there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

You will need to know what aspect your site is - south facing, north facing etc - how dry/wet it is, is it exposed/sheltered, etc before you decide what types of shrubs you would like.
    Once you know that any good garden centre/nursery will be able to advise you.
    Would you like scented/berried/deciduous/autumn coloured etc?
    Will the colours complement each other?
    And always check what the final size of the shrub will be. Its easy to get carried away and overplant or plant too closely. In the early years you can always fill in any gaps with bedding plants if you want to.
    Take your time.
    I was always told to plant deciduous shrubs in autumn and evergreens in spring, but that may be more of an old wives tale than anything based on fact. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭casey junior

Today I bought 2 Potentillas, 3 azaleas, a rhododendron, a small photinia, a pittosporum and a leucothoe for £28 at Donnellys Garden Pride between Armagh and The Moy.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,437 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Nice selection there, but I hope you have acid soil as several of them prefer it. Usually azalias and rhododendrons want acid soil, though there are a few exceptions, also leucothoe. The potentillas, photinia and pittosporum are fine and will grow happily anywhere.

The pittosporum grows into a large, very attractive bush but needs plenty of space. I have one which is about 7 ft across at the bottom, and about 8 or 9 ft high. Its an attractive cone shape and I have been reluctant to trim it, but it will have to be done soon as I have seen much bigger ones and I only have a small garden!

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭casey junior

All are for my grandaughters new house, a bed about 8ft by 30 ft, I dont know what the soil is like but there are lots of azaleas about.
    Today I went begging off the neighbours with a spade and I got a Solomons Seal, an Astilbe and 3 or 4 anonymous contributions.
    I have my eye on some nice ferns!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,437 ✭✭✭✭looksee

All are for my grandaughters new house, a bed about 8ft by 30 ft, I dont know what the soil is like but there are lots of azaleas about.
    Today I went begging off the neighbours with a spade and I got a Solomons Seal, an Astilbe and 3 or 4 anonymous contributions.
    I have my eye on some nice ferns!

Great way to share plants imo! Its as satisfying to give as it is to receive - though its always nice to get free plants :D

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭artieanna

Main question, is it too late in the year to plant up?

No, remember you can sow potted plants all year round and bare rooted plants autumn (after first frosts) to spring(until last frost is over).

If there is a nursery near you you will soon be able to get bare root plants, mostly trees. Bare rooted plants are much cheaper than potted plants. Nurseries are generally cheaper also when you buying alot of plants together..

as other posters said know what type of site and soil you have to buy plants that suit..

Advertisement