Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slaney News - Enniscorthys' Latest Editorial

Options
  • 05-10-2010 9:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭

At last, a "free" circulation that has items of interest for all. I've no affiliation to this publication I might hasten to add but full makes to Frank Corcoran and Slaney News!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

I read the 1st issue and was quite impressed. Hope it goes from strength to strength. Well done to all concerned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

I speed read the first issue and it's OK but a bit samey. I hope it isn't just going to be another advertising rag padded out with GAA notes. There wasn't a single controversial issue raised in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

freesheet001.jpg

Fame at last! At least Frank Corcoran reads the Boards but sadly he/Slaney News is not picking up on any of the many points raised in the Wexford Forum and has already resorted to the standard 'freesheet' diet of Ads plus feel good stories and pics.

In issue #3 -
    Focusing on mental health. My opinion - done to death in the media.
    If the shoe fits. Worthy piece on Shoebox charity appeal.
    Charity Jigs and Reels. Guardian type piece (full page of thumbnail photos).
    The Arts come alive in Enniscorthy. A comprehensive listing of everything that's on locally. Yawn.
    Page about the Wexford Opera Festival. Yawn, yawn - Not relevant to Enniscorthy.
    Enniscorthy mini rugby on tour. Half page of poor quality photos and you would have a job recognising your own offspring. What's the point?

More pages of photos - yawn - and a uninspiring item about the sale of Camolin Park which managed to mention nothing of its historical background.

Enough said, but what must be asked is, what is the proprietor of "Slaney News" trying to achieve? To make a living from his paper - fair enough but I doubt he will achieve that in a crowded market where advertising budgets are under pressure. To be a force for change - clearly not as he just wants to have a feel good paper by his own admission. That being the case he might as well quit now as the Echo, Guardian and the other freesheets already have this market cornered. Lest he think otherwise I wish him no harm but I'm disappointed with his product. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Silent Shrill

Edited and written by locals
    About the locality
    Positive attitudes
    FREE
    PRINTED in Enniscorthy, (more than I can say for the Echo)
    Has supplied work to the locality.
    Got my vote.......good on you......this is what Enniscorthy needs......people prepared to invest in the town
    yay.gif

Advertisement