Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ciaran Clark and Hogan Ephraim

• 05-10-2010 9:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭

On the verge declaring for Ireland according to today's Star.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Ciaran Clark will be a very good centre half imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭Gillington

Hogan Ephraim would be a welcome addition,aint seen enough of Clark but hopefully he's getting some good tutorage from Ritchie at Villa

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭MickShamrock

Good news. Always nice to have new additions to the pool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Not a moment too soon. We badly need new blood on the wings and at centre back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

Ciaran has declared for us. Great potential. Non-Villa fans may not have seen much of him (because Dunne, Collins and Cuellar have kept him out of the team) but he's as much a prospect as Marc Albrighton.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

If his name was Ephraim Hogan he'd sound much more like an Irishman.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

Hogan qualifies through his Irish born mother. Could be playing Premier League footy next season if QPR keep up their fantastic form. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

Clark will be a beast. The lads on villa talk will be distraught.... They had him pegged for future england skipper haha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭tonycascarino

Ciaran Clark's father Michael although born in Edinburgh went to school in Ballyare, Donegal. His mother Peggy is from Drumshambo, Leitrim.

http://www.donegaldemocrat.ie/donegalsport/Clark-signs-the-dotted-line.5890651.jp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

Ciaran Clark's father Michael although born in Edinburgh went to school in Ballyare, Donegal. His mother Peggy is from Drumshambo, Leitrim.

http://www.donegaldemocrat.ie/donegalsport/Clark-signs-the-dotted-line.5890651.jp

Second generation Irish..... just like yourself Tony! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

I'm surprised Clark declared but he should be a good one if he lives up to his potential.

He's still a bit young yet and needs to gain experience but even still is a step up from the likes of McShane.

I wonder if Dunne had a word with him and helped convince him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Clark has captained England at every level up U-20, so this is a strange but welcome decision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

matrim wrote:
    I wonder if Dunne had a word with him and helped convince him

Yep, he did:
    Villa defender Ciaran Clark has committed his international future to the Republic of Ireland – after a heart to heart with team-mate Richard Dunne.

The London-born centre-back, who qualifies for the Republic via his Irish mother and grandparents, has informed FAI chiefs he wants to be considered for Giovanni Trapattoni’s squad, even though he skippered England at under-19 and under-20 level.

Clark is expected to come into contention for next month’s friendly with Norway and could even partner his club team-mate at the heart of the Irish defence.

And Dunne revealed it was he who recommended him to Republic of Ireland scout Don Givens.

He said: “I had a word with ‘Clarky’ a couple of months ago, so I’m to blame! I went straight onto our recruitment fella and he’s been in touch.

“It’s great. I think he has declared so once it goes through it will be great to have him in the squad.

“I think his mother’s Irish so whether she’s been putting pressure on or not, I don’t know.

“He’s open to it, he wants to play international football and it might come soon.”

Dunne has tipped Clark to be a star for club and country in the future.

He added: “He’s certainly going to be a top player. For Ireland it’ll be outstanding to have a young player of his talent in the squad. It’s just a matter of time before he breaks through.

“Defenders always take that bit longer.”

http://www.expressandstar.com/sport/2010/10/05/ciaran-clark-chooses-the-republic/

I've been impressed with Clark from what I've seen of him. Hopefully he won't have a change of heart. I don't know much about Ephraim but with a name like Hogan he's OK in my book. Brother! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭CR 7

Hogan Ephraim is a fantastic player, hope he declares too, he'll be a first team player in the next few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

Hogan Ephraim is a fantastic player, hope he declares too, he'll be a first team player in the next few years.

Apparently Trap is going to the next QPR match to take a look at him and their centre half Matt Connolly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

We seem to have a lot of defensive options coming through but we are lacking in midfield and forwards there is
    Clark Duffy Cunningham Coleman meyler and McCarthy which could turn out into a pretty good team but with little potentcy in attack

Edit how are Villa fans taking the news?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,468 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

great to have Clarck - now with Traps selection policy we might see him in a squad for the 2014 WC qualifiers.

great to have Clarck - now with Traps selection policy we might see him in a squad for the 2014 WC qualifiers.

Friendly against norway should be used to look at h and another look at mccarthy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭LeeroyJones

Edit how are Villa fans taking the news?

From what I can see they are happy that one of their youngsters is going to get international gametime. At the same time they are content that with regards England as I think the general belief over there is that Gary Cahill and Smalling are the future pairing. A bit short sighted thinking in my view, Clark could well establish himself as a better player than the 2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,468 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Friendly against norway should be used to look at h and another look at mccarthy

should be, and a few other players too. We are talking about Trap though, the squad will be the same as it always is.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

From what I can see they are happy that one of their youngsters is going to get international gametime. At the same time they are content that with regards England as I think the general belief over there is that Gary Cahill and Smalling are the future pairing. A bit short sighted thinking in my view, Clark could well establish himself as a better player than the 2.

Its possible and he will if he lives up to potential. This is the key

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭sagat2

As a Villa fan I'm delighted that Clark has chosen to play for Ireland, he will get a lot more international experience a lot faster than he would have with England and he also wont have to put up with the circus and hype that England internationals get dragged into. I am a bit concerned by the FAI's recruitment policy, apparently it was Richard Dunne who put Clark forward to the Irish recruiters surely a talent young Premiership player with a name like Ciaran Clark should have set alarm bells ringing in Abbotstown long before Dunny got involved?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭stevoslice

Second generation Irish..... just like yourself Tony! :pac:

funny thing was tony cas was never eligible to play for ireland. all came out when he released his book a few years back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭MR NINE

At first glance I was sure this thread was called Ciaran Clark or Hogan Ephraim

thebhoy wrote: »
    funny thing was tony cas was never eligible to play for ireland. all came out when he released his book a few years back.
    His mother was Irish though so he qualified through her actually even if he was adopted by her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

We could use the Nations Cup to blood some of them thinking of declaring. Maybe play a couple against Macedonia too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭stevoslice

His mother was Irish though so he qualified through her actually even if he was adopted by her.

just looked up wiki

his mom was adopted by an irish man, so he figured that he was a fraud for not being blood related to his grandfather for a few years but it was clarified that he was entitled to citizenship afterwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

Apparently Trap is going to the next QPR match to take a look at him and their centre half Matt Connolly.

Is Connolly definitely eligible to play for Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭flas

why would you have to have another look at mccarty, the lad is an english premership regular midfielder and what, 20 years of age?! how he isnt playing for ireland and green is is a joke in my opinion! he already is twice the player green will ever be!

its looking good for ireland in a few years IF our players get on, likes of conor clifford and mccarty, garvin, shane long, myler, st.ledger and clark to name but a few, also cunningham and coleman!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Jayob10

flas wrote: »
    why would you have to have another look at mccarty, the lad is an english premership regular midfielder and what, 20 years of age?! how he isnt playing for ireland and green is is a joke in my opinion! he already is twice the player green will ever be!

its looking good for ireland in a few years IF our players get on, likes of conor clifford and mccarty, garvin, shane long, myler, st.ledger and clark to name but a few, also cunningham and coleman!

we are well served in midfield for the future I reckon, Meyler and McCarthy will be a good partnership I think.
    Less optimistic on Clifford and Garvan.

Coleman, Duffy, Clark and Cunningham will be excellent options at the back.

I think we will struggle to unearth strikers though, to make us even competitive. As much as we slate Keane (and i do alot) he is a goal threat against even excellent sides. There are no obvious options coming through, barring Anthony Stokes kicking on a level.

Shane Long won't cut the mustard if we are honest.

Jayob10 wrote: »
    we are well served in midfield for the future I reckon, Meyler and McCarthy will be a good partnership I think.
    Less optimistic on Clifford and Garvan.

Coleman, Duffy, Clark and Cunningham will be excellent options at the back.

I think we will struggle to unearth strikers though, to make us even competitive. As much as we slate Keane (and i do alot) he is a goal threat against even excellent sides. There are no obvious options coming through, barring Anthony Stokes kicking on a level.

Shane Long won't cut the mustard if we are honest.

i think shane long now has 3 goals in 4 internationals or some crazy record like that!? maybe he might have a knack for internationals and save his best scoring exploits for ireland, ala keane!

also on conor clifford, i would hold untold optimisim. the lad is playing out of his skin for chelsea reserves and the irish set up when he is involved with the underage.

im hopeful that maybe when these 3 push on and start to flourish that the Irish seniors might have to be dragged into the 21st century and play a different formation than 442 to accomidate the 3 lads! mccarty for the bursts through the middle and his passing, clifford for his vision and ability to string a pass through a key hole and totally unlock a defence and myler for his box to box mentality that he already has instilled in him(longest distance covered EVER in an english premiership game) and his ability to win a ball back and not lose it straight away! i swear i though green was playing 1-2's with the russuians the other night!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

What about Steven Ireland?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

i think shane long now has 3 goals in 4 internationals or some crazy record like that!? maybe he might have a knack for internationals and save his best scoring exploits for ireland, ala keane!

also on conor clifford, i would hold untold optimisim. the lad is playing out of his skin for chelsea reserves and the irish set up when he is involved with the underage.

im hopeful that maybe when these 3 push on and start to flourish that the Irish seniors might have to be dragged into the 21st century and play a different formation than 442 to accomidate the 3 lads! mccarty for the bursts through the middle and his passing, clifford for his vision and ability to string a pass through a key hole and totally unlock a defence and myler for his box to box mentality that he already has instilled in him(longest distance covered EVER in an english premiership game) and his ability to win a ball back and not lose it straight away! i swear i though green was playing 1-2's with the russuians the other night!

Maybe Shane Long is our Klose. Crap for his club team but can't stop scoring for his country.

FatherTed wrote: »
    Maybe Shane Long is our Klose. Crap for his club team but can't stop scoring for his country.

stranger things have happened!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭Gillington

;)
    Bodhisopha wrote: »
    What about Steven Ireland?
    stranger things have happened!

• Advertisement
Advertisement