Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving a kitten home alone

Options
  • 05-10-2010 11:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

this is possibly a heavily debated topic, and discussed previously but I am wondering how old a kitten should be before she is left home alone?
    I am planning on leaving for a day at which time my kitten will be 13 weeks old. Would she be ok or is it too soon?
    She is litter trained, has tonnes of toys....and obviously there would be plenty of food left for her. I guess I am more so concerned about her 'mental health'. I dont have anyone that would call in to check on her.
    At the moment, she is at home during the day and does really well. I do call in to her everyday at lunchtime though. Longest she has been alone to date is about 6 hours. (currently 9 weeks old).

Opinions guys? :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Kenevil

Hi OP, She should be fine being left alone for a day as long as she has food and water and plenty of toys to keep her occupied and a her litter tray, maybe leave a radio or a television on for her to keep her company but she should be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Id have no problems with it myself. Cats dont need the constant attention that dogs do,so she'll be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭poconnor16

Thanks guys. As she is so young, I wouldn't leave her for any longer. If it was a weekend I'd put her in a cattery, just cant yet as she has 2 more vaccinations to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MsFifers

Do you mean overnight or just for a day?

Either way, I think the kitty will be fine. Just try to get it tired out before you go & it'll sleep for most of the time. Leave out the toys and some boxes for it to hide in (my cats favourite toy ever is a new cardboard box) and it'll be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,521 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Kitty will be fine but be prepared to be snuggified to death when you get back! :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭poconnor16

I'd plan on leaving at around noon on the saturday, and would be back on Sunday evening. She has full run of the living room/kitchen which is completely kitten proof. I could open up the upstairs to her (shes been up there a few times) but I wouldn't want to overwhelm her without us there.

I plan on giving her wet food before I go, dry nuts left out and her kitty milk...maybe leave some water there as well although she doesn't drink it.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭Rochester

She'll probably sleep for a good deal of time anyway.

Advertisement