Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

broadband provider blocking access to programs

• 05-10-2010 11:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 32

I'm studying in ucc and my accomadation is victoria lodge. from what i know the accomadation gets its broadband from the college.

i have discovered that the broadband is blocking me from going online with steam to play online games such as counterstrike and it is also blocking me from playing World of warcraft 0.o

I'm going to ask them if they can stop blocking those programs from connecting to the internet but if they can't what can i do to get around it?

its really annoying me! >;(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

Move out and get your own BB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

ohemgeez wrote: »
    I'm going to ask them if they can stop blocking those programs from connecting to the internet but if they can't what can i do to get around it?

Don't waste your time, they won't unblock these as they're blocked for a reason. You need to get your own broadband, and if that's not possible, you'll have to move.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Its the college connection so to be honest they can block what they want and rightly so, if your not happy with the policy you'll need to get your own connection from an actual ISP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭bhickey

There are paid VPN services (e.g. Black VPN) that would effectively move your Internet connection beyond the college network. People normally use these VPN services to access content that is restricted to certain countries (e.g. BBC iPlayer in the UK) but they should work for what you want as well.

Advertisement