Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork-Wexford train goes via Heuston???

Options
  • 05-10-2010 11:39am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi all,

I've just tried booking a train ticket from Cork City to Wexford and all the options I'm given go through Dublin Heuston Station?? This is ridiculous is it not? The journey takes anywhere from 6 and a half to 7 and a half hours?!

Can someone confirm this, as I've rung Irish Rail Customer Service but was on hold for too long.

Thanks!

Catherine

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭tictac2580

Ya, there is no direct train unfortunately!!...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭FTGFOP

There's no line between Cork and Wexford. So I'd say it's accurate.
    intercity_map.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 CatherineOwens

That is just crazy - I wonder if anyone even takes that train at all. I'll be looking into other options!

Thanks everyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

Train from Cork to Waterford.

Bus from Waterford to Wexford

• Registered Users Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭FTGFOP

I'd say the odd unlucky person who didn't check the journey time!

Until they opened up the Ennis-Galway line the Cork-Galway train went via Portarlington!

edit: Just checked the Cork-Galway service, and some of them still go through Laois. Even via Limerick the journey times are still poor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

That is just crazy - I wonder if anyone even takes that train at all. I'll be looking into other options!

Thanks everyone!

Unless you had local knowledge or you looked at a rail map you would not have known this.

Best (only) way is bus.

and also bear in mind that it doesn't go "via" heuston. There is no train from heuston to wexford. You'll have to leave heuston, hop on a luas to connolly and then get the wexford train from there!

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭wispyman

I would also recommend taking the bus all the way.

Funny thing is that Waterford to Rosslare had a rail service this time last month!! Then they closed it down pretty much for good.....

Malcolm

Irish Rail - running the railways - into the ground!!!

Advertisement