Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Preparing for emigrating to the UK

Options
  • 05-10-2010 12:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭

I'm giving serious thought to heading to England or Scotland but I know I will need to sort out employment fairly fast when I go over. Does anyone know about the different things I would need to sort out to try get lab work over there. Is there any kind of police clearance needed etc. Also input on the best way to find a job would be appreciated, especially from those who have done so recently.

PS If this is in the wrong section could a mod please move it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

What sort of lab work?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭jimthemental

QC Analyst jobs really, finding it tough to get experience I need here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

What sort of lab work?

A testee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Sykk

I'm giving serious thought to heading to England or Scotland but I know I will need to sort out employment fairly fast when I go over. Does anyone know about the different things I would need to sort out to try get lab work over there. Is there any kind of police clearance needed etc. Also input on the best way to find a job would be appreciated, especially from those who have done so recently.

Well Jim, my guess is you're a bit mental. If you really are then you won't mind becoming some pimps gimp, pays well I hear

Have you tried Abbott? They have analyst jobs advertised for their Sligo & Clonmel labs...

See here; https://jobs.brassring.com/EN/ASP/TG/cim_searchresults.asp?ref=10520107359&SID=^3MiP9WRhZ_slp_rhc_M9DteaLUokFUdEC1y7bDidqus3BwxjDVlEhrPor92v4/o2FEdhs9gBngwVHhU0t_slp_rhc_r2_C_R__L_F_8I6bM4Wpuw5X7EzIJrjVg/cTuOTKf/A=

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭jackiebaron

You're asking on AH about what the procedures are for getting QC Analyst lab work in the UK??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

I do know the Crime labs take a bit of time.

Get a NI number first, and keep sending you CV out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

So, it's research work you are interested in....?

You're asking on AH about what the procedures are for getting QC Analyst lab work in the UK??

Ya sorry, where should I be posting this, I only really started using boards last week

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Just move there and sell your plasma and/or semen.

• Advertisement

So, it's research work you are interested in....?

Not really, research usually involves phd and that sort of thing, I want run of the mill quality control lab work. Did a bit a few years ago and twas good but since I graduated I haven't been able to get foot in the door anywhere. I thought this thread could be useful as there are a lot of people I know wondering about this kind of thing at present

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Have you a national insurance number yet?

OisinT wrote: »

I only produce semen. In fact, I don't know anyone who produces plasma.

OisinT wrote: »

Already posting over loads!

Have you a national insurance number yet?

No, that's the kind of thing I was hoping I'd hear about, is that like social security number?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

There is a work and jobs section on boards OP. Have you tried Abbott?
    Scotland is a nice spot in particular Glasgow and Edinburgh!

Haven't tried abbott lately, I'll give a look at the site after work, thanks. Just saw the work section there now, haven't a notion on how to delete or move this thread though

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

I only produce semen. In fact, I don't know anyone who produces plasma.
    lol I can't tell if you're being serious or not :P

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blood_plasma

PS: just unbanned and postwhoring like a mofo. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

Lots of basic but useful info here, Jim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

No, that's the kind of thing I was hoping I'd hear about, is that like social security number?

Are you American?

Well if you do work in Ireland it's the same as your PPS number, formally called an RSI number

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22 saltcoats

if you are moving to the uk to work in a Lab i'm pretty sure they would expect you to have experience already unless you are a special kind of rat (Albino springs to mind) or a Beagle who smokes 40 a day or maybe a lipstick wearing rabbit.
    seriously if you need to ask on Boards for advice on this subject are you sure you are mature enough to be going abroad. and thee work situation over there is as crap as it is here.

Are you American?

Well if you do work in Ireland it's the same as your PPS number, formally called an RSI number

Thanks, couldn't remember it was called PPS here

saltcoats wrote: »
    if you are moving to the uk to work in a Lab i'm pretty sure they would expect you to have experience already unless you are a special kind of rat (Albino springs to mind) or a Beagle who smokes 40 a day or maybe a lipstick wearing rabbit.
    seriously if you need to ask on Boards for advice on this subject are you sure you are mature enough to be going abroad. and thee work situation over there is as crap as it is here.

Only started giving thought to it last week, I have some applications done and have some feedback got too. I realise they are looking for experience and I have some but not much compared to people who have got other jobs ahead of me here. tbh I want to get some use from my BSc and get more experience, it's fairly intense trying to get something here and I have heard that the situation is different over there. It might not be but it's no harm trying to find out. I am looking for info elsewhere too and was just curious as to what people on boards had to say. Again sorry about the poor choice in where to put this thread.

What's Abbott?

OP,

Why not get a list of every single university in the UK and then go to their websites and then fire off an email to some bod in their Sciences Department asking for what's the best way to get into this field. Surely some of them will know all the gear about being lab techies etc. out in the real world as well as acedemia and will send you back a load of pointers.

Also
    www.jobserve.com

and

Labmed Recruitment Ltd

Thats a good one thanks, I've been on a few of the sites too.

I suppose if I contact the universities it will give back a lot of info.

I have enough to be going on now thanks everyone.

What's Abbott?

Abbott Laboratories, pharma company

Haven't tried abbott lately, I'll give a look at the site after work, thanks. Just saw the work section there now, haven't a notion on how to delete or move this thread though

I posted a link on Page 1 to analyst jobs with Abbott on Sligo & Tipp.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

http://www.migrantproject.ie/emigrating_from_ireland_uk.htm

Should help you, best of luck buddy, I hope things work out better there than what we are faced with here. :)

• Advertisement

Stinicker wrote: »
    http://www.migrantproject.ie/emigrating_from_ireland_uk.htm

Should help you, best of luck buddy, I hope things work out better there than what we are faced with here. :)

Thanks for that. Surprised I haven't heard of this before.

Advertisement