Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trying to get out of a lease a month early....

Options
  • 05-10-2010 12:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭

Basically, I'm living in an area I love but the adjacent neighbours are a nightmare.

I've been here for almost 2 years. Lease is up at end of Nov.

A house has come up for rent down the road. I want it basically :)

But odds are, it'll be gone by the time my lease is up.
    I was thinking of asking to get out of the lease a month early, basically give a months notice from now as I know I could get the agents to hold the new house for me for a month.

How would I broach it with the LL?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

This is why, after the initial 12 month lease, everyone should go to a month by month lease.

Never sign a second lease. If you've been there for 6 months or more you have all the rights of a part 4 tenant, so they can't make you sign anything. (They can if you want them to reduce the rent though)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭ash23

Yeah, they brought down the rent in return for the new lease.
    In fairness, they've been very good LL so i'm hoping they'll be ok with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

Why not just tell the landlord exactly what you told us :) I don't really see what else you can say, if you have your fixed term tenancy then you're not entitled to leave early but they might allow it if you ask. Particularly if you have nuisance neighbours!

Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

Have a chat to the landlord and see what they say. Explain the situation and that you're not going to renew the lease, or stay in the house, because of the neighbours.

Have you complained about the neighbours to them before?

I've mentioned the neighbours to them a few times. Some other neighbours put in complaints with the management co about them too. So they know that it's an issue.

I've called the letting agent and they've to ring me back. Going to ask them to ask the LL.

Fingers crossed.
    I'd love to stay in that area as I've made a lot of friends there but I just can't stick living next to those neighbours anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,994 ✭✭✭3DataModem

After two years renting I'd let a tenant out of a lease one month early, if he had looked after the place well.

Just be straight with landlord, best chance of success.

Good news. LL was sound and is letting me out of lease early with full deposit returned and new house is still available so am signing a lease on it later.

Happy days. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

Congrats, that's great news! Thanks for the update :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

That's great news!

Enjoy your new home! :)

Advertisement