Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kids' Firefly Phone

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5 davephelan

Sorry davephelan, I know I'm probably insulting you by asking but is the plug socket that you're using working?

Yes the plug socket was working. As I said in the first post
    "However on arrival home I put one in to charge after putting the €5 sim card in. It did not do as it said on the box!!! the book button in the centre stayed glowing yellow and a constant blue light below. The screen was dead. I left it over night hoping but next morning it was the same. I then opened the other one ....but exactly the same has happened. "

So the electricity was on and working, but sadly I still cannot get anything going. I got an email from Firefly in the USA saying perhaps the O2 sim card (that came in the box with the €5 credit) might be the problem. As far as I can see there is only one way to put the card in and that is as per the diagram in the instructions. I guess now my only option is to get a refund from Lidl. They are brilliant always about returns, I will have to say.
    Thanks
    Dave

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

They have the phones again -

http://www.lidl.ie/ie/home.nsf/pages/c.o.20101118.p.Kids_Firefly_Phone

Dave for older people you can get a really basic nokia phone
    http://shop.tescomobile.ie/index.aspx?mobile=true
    25 euro there for a very basic phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 davephelan

Thanks for that, but you know that a really basic phone is not just the price. Its the fact that my Dads fingers are too "fiddley" for the tiny numbers. All I wanted was a simple phone....a brick! big with large numbers. I thought that this phone would do the job as he could call up to 20 people and a quick button for me and one other.
    I guess the problem with the advance in technology is that phones have to do all...they have far too many features that 90% of people do not use.
    I think I will go and get a johns phone http://www.johnsphones.com/store/johns-phone-white/item24
    The problem is that they are out of stock at the moment and are about €70.
    The fireflys are flying back to Lidl tomorrow for a cash refund

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Fittle wrote: »
    I've just read this on the 02 website...

http://www.o2online.ie/wps/wcm/connect/O2/Home/Shop/Phones/Firefly+for+kids/

I was just about to buy one of these phones today but it says you have to insert the sim into an 02 phone to activate it first....I'm not with 02, which means I'd have to change networks or find someone with an 02 phone for ten minutes...

Just something to keep in mind.

I think I'll just get the basic 29.99 nokia phone that's doing the rounds in dunnes at the moment. I had an incident yesterday where I couldn't find my son (8) for 5 minutes yesterday (he was in a neighbours house, but is usually playing on the road) but my heart was racing and I'd decided to get him a phone today.....
    davephelan wrote: »
    I just bought two of these in Lidl.However on arrival home I put one in to charge after putting the €5 sim card in. It did not do as it said on the box!!! the book button in the centre stayed glowing yellow and a constant blue light below. The screen was dead. I left it over night hoping but next morning it was the same. I then opened the other one ....but exactly the same has happened.
    Am I missing something? I thought to look for a packing/ intransit tape over the battery or something ...but nothing. Been back to the store but no one else has reported trouble????
    Any help
    Thanks
    Dave
    Maybe too late for Dave now, but it seems the question was already answered above; I am highlighting it in bold in case anyone else ends up here looking for answers. Mine has the same symptoms (I had it in the box for the last two weeks; only opening it up now).
    Lidl really should have put a notice up at the time explaining the procedure to activate the sim card. :mad:
    Still, I see from the 02 link above that Lidl were selling for less than half price, so I won't complain too much.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

I bought one of these for my youngest, and she kept losing or forgetting it. The trouble is, it's boring and she has no reason to carry it. Children don't want phones so their parents can keep track of them, they want them for cool stuff.

I got her one with a bunch of little games on it (Tetris and Same Colour), and she carries it everywhere. She's only got about six tracks on it, but it's enough to keep her happy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hi,Santa brought one of these Firefly phones to my daughter for xmas and we cannot get it going.We have activated the SIM card in my husbands phone and that is working fine.We have been charging the Firefly phone for hours and still can't get it to turn on.It says on the instructions to charge it up for two hours and the battery should be powered up.We have charged it up for about eight hours and still no joy.Did anybody actually get these phones working??????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

sarnia wrote: »
    Hi,Santa brought one of these Firefly phones to my daughter for xmas and we cannot get it going.We have activated the SIM card in my husbands phone and that is working fine.We have been charging the Firefly phone for hours and still can't get it to turn on.It says on the instructions to charge it up for two hours and the battery should be powered up.We have charged it up for about eight hours and still no joy.Did anybody actually get these phones working??????
    Same here; mine went back to Lidl in the end :(

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hi again,
    I returned the phone to Lidl where l had no problem getting a refund.The lady l dealt with said that they had a lot of the phones returned and there must have been a fault with them.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Thanks for that, but you know that a really basic phone is not just the price. Its the fact that my Dads fingers are too "fiddley" for the tiny numbers. All I wanted was a simple phone....a brick! big with large numbers. I thought that this phone would do the job as he could call up to 20 people and a quick button for me and one other.
    I guess the problem with the advance in technology is that phones have to do all...they have far too many features that 90% of people do not use.
    I think I will go and get a johns phone http://www.johnsphones.com/store/johns-phone-white/item24
    The problem is that they are out of stock at the moment and are about €70.

http://www.o2online.ie/o2/shop/phones/detail.php?pid=110 is a fantastic phone for the older or hard of hearing or sight person.
    W got one for a family member that is really bad with technology and has bad hearing and it is going down a treat.

Advertisement