Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LED Project

Options
  • 05-10-2010 1:11pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I want to clad a 6m x 1.8m in horizontal shiplap boards. That's an easy job but I also want to to embed LED's into the boards to get a star effect, thats the hard part.

A bit of research into it suggests it may be a complicated circuit to do and run off mains/PSU. Water proofing is also a major issue.

I looked at string LED lights that can be chained but over that size there quite expensive.

Has anyone come across a project like this before or have any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Not really sure what your trying to do, based on the description.

What sort of LEDs are you looking to use? Power LEDs or just normal ones? What pitch do you need the LEDs at?

You can buy normal LEDs on a roll, typically 5m long, last time I checked a roll was €50 or so...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Sorry Im cladding the wall in my garden in wooden boards. I want to embed LED's in to it to create a star effect (IE lots of points of light when you look at it).

I found 10 meter rolls of outdoor roll of 100 x LED's for £36 and reasonable delivery from the UK but I reckon I'd end up using a few hundred euros worth to do the job.

I'm looking to see has anyone done anything similar or more cost effective suggestions.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Ahh ok gotcha, this is normally done with a fiber optic as far as I know. Check out deal extreme and see what they have....

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Check out deal extreme and see what they have....

I was thinking the same. These might do the job, certainly a cheaper easier solution: http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.5501

I actually bought these about 2 years ago or more, and then still work perfect. They are outside all year round.

Looks like fiber optics might be the way to go. Reckon ill need 53 meters of 1.5mm filament, about $80 from the US + tax here. Ill have to figure out a light source next...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Rew wrote: »
    Looks like fiber optics might be the way to go. Reckon ill need 53 meters of 1.5mm filament, about $80 from the US + tax here. Ill have to figure out a light source next...

I thought one or two sets of the xmas tree type led lights might of worked well, drill holes so they are a tight fit from the back of panels, anyway $80 dollars you might be ok for the duty, i order in a bit of stuff regular enough and usually ok on anything below $100 or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Lamps and Lighting

REW

You deffo need a fibre optic kit. You can buy ready to go kits with light box etc from professional suppliers but expect to pay. If you are going to go to the trouble of drilling over 150 1mm holes you might as well do it correctly.

You will need to ensure the lightbox ( 150w metal halide ) can be situated in a dry area.

If you want any advice let me know.

Paul

Hey Paul, if you have any pointers on suppliers that would be great, seems mad to have to have it shipped from the US. My main concern is getting enough of a bend to bring the fiber optic out the front. I can handle that by varying the gap between the boards and the wall but I dont want that to be massive either. I was checking out light engines, seem to be big money I may have to do a DIY job on that for the time being.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭maxamillius

http://www.starscape.co.uk/?gclid=CPnSquCjwaQCFQIsDgodTSiREA

this is what you would be looking for i think rew

Advertisement