Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wierd puppy butt issues

Options
  • 05-10-2010 1:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭

:eek:
    My puppy has been yelping/jumping like she is being bitten, then spins around and licks her butt frantically. A few times she rubs her butt on the floor. I looked up how to empty the anal glands and did it four days ago and got some brownish stuff out but they weren't swollen etc.
    Today she began to poop somewhere I didn't want her to so I automatically ran towards her yelling no no no. She stopped pooping prematurely and then began yelping and spinning. She span right into a wall. She continued yelping until she got to the grass and rubbed her butt off the grass for two full minutes yelping a little. She never finished her poop.
    She is 5 months old collie and fully wormed, de-fleaed vaccinated etc
    Is she not too young for anal gland issues? How often should the be emptied?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭suziwalsh

Is it possible that she ate something she wasn't suppose to and now is trying to pass it?

Would think far too young for anal glad issues.... I wouldn't recommend a do it yourself job unless you have seen it done in practice. If she was having an issue there is usually a horrible smell from her that suggests she needs her glads expressed. What are you feeding her as diet can often be a reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭C2

My mother had a dog that sat on a sewing needle that lodged in her butt- he behaved just like that. Or could be a sharp undigested object she ate. I suggest going to the vet if it continues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭Jinxi

She has always had healthy normal bowel movements. SHe is being fed Eukanuba, no problems with the food. She isn't constipated and she chews everything and anything but she hasn't had any problems ever having bowels movements.
    she has displayed this behaviour on and off for a few weeks, but it was much worse today, I was wondering if it was because she was interrupted while pooping.
    Interesting you say she is too young for the anal glands issue. I read that some doga just need more help in that area than others.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Bring her to the vet and get it checked out. The pup is obv in pain and discomfort so get her seen to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭Jinxi

It was the first and only time it was a pain yelp. She hasn't yelped when pooping before or since. I think it was because I stopped her. I asked my vet nurse she recommended worming for the previous butt rubbing and butt licking, but she was wormed.
    A few weeks ago she was playing when her head got stuck in the couch cushions and she yelped and released her glands. If that happenes does it throw thing out of whack?

• Advertisement
Advertisement