Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cleaning Windows - dirt on the inside of the glass?

• 05-10-2010 1:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭

Hi,

I've noticed streak marks rather like finger marks on new windows installed in my house. I've tried removing them using all the normal methods - window cleaner, WD40, white spirits, and PLENTY of elbow grease, but nothing is working on the window. I've also noticed what looks like little brown speckles around the streaks.

I know squat about the manufacture of double glazed uPVC windows, but is it possible that the glass is dirty from the inside - i.e the side within the vacuum?

It's particularly noticeable at dawn and dusk when the background light isn't as bright.

I've had serious problems with the window company already and before I tackle them over this latest issue i want to make sure i'm at least heading in the correct direction....

Oh...I've also had a professional window company come and clean them too, no improvement.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 165 ✭✭amerden

I had a similar problem and tried all sorts of cleaner to remove the marks, I thought it was a manufacturers fault within the glass, I then tried methylated spirits and it worked a treat, but if your marks are in between the panes your only option is to go back to the supplier.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭bob skunkhouse

Cheers for that. I'll give her a blast tonight and see what happens - if i can get my hands on the meth's thats is!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,620 ✭✭✭✭looksee

There is also some stuff called 'Sticky Stuff Remover' I think I got it from Kleeneze, gets that kind of marks off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

Cheers for that. I'll give her a blast tonight and see what happens - if i can get my hands on the meth's thats is!

Chemist is the best, or maybe only place to buy methylated spirits AFAIK

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 165 ✭✭amerden

Most DIY stores stock it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭projectgtr

throw up picture if you can, run your fingers on the outside of the glass where the brown marks are, are they raised from the glass, if so did you have building work going on? as it sound like the after math of grinder work being carried out too close to the glass.

What did your window cleaner try??

If its just dirt you have two options firstly chemical, the only chemical i would use on glass is cosmofen it removes 90% of removable marks on windows in my experience. Secondly is to use a scraper, now not cheap stanley or the likes a propper industry standard unger scraper with a NEW blade, i cant emphasis this enough before you use a blade on you glass CHECK ITS NOT TOUGHENED GLASS, if it is stick with the chemical route.

Any questions just pm me or email me through www.supremclean.ie

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

A dab of meths on a cloth is brilliant for cleaning windows and also cleaning off paint marks from wooden flooring,especially the oiled semi solid flooring.

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭metalgear2k2

I used to work for MJ service dept.

With them if the glass was dirty on the inside or the vacum had failed and there was condensation on the inside that unit of glass would be replaced for free.

Might be a call out charge, not sure but defo the unit would be free.

Advertisement