Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

"Precision Timing" on Saturday 23rd Oct 2010 in Phoenix Park???

• 05-10-2010 1:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32

Does anybody know anythig about this event?
    I received an email from "Precision Timing" (not really sure where thay got my email) saying i was invited to this special event! It states that the route will be two 5k loops in the Phoenix Park! I had planned on doing a 10k that weekend and it would suit but i'm somewhat sceptical of this as i can't find any other info on the usual websites about it!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,549 ✭✭✭Peckham

I presume this is it: link

Looks like entry is by invitation only, so you should consider yourself privileged! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

A bit more here
    Every invited participant will pre enter their predicted Race Finish Time including the splits for each Km upon registration
    The challenge is to complete the race as close as possible to these forecasted times. The Participant who comes closest to all their splits and finish time will receive a cash prize and Trophy. Precision timing at its best!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Irishman99

Ya, here is the quote that clinched it for me:

"300 of Ireland's most elite runners in triathlon and athletics have been invited to partake in this INVITE only event. We would be delighted for you to be one of the participants."

I feel very privileged, i'm one of Irelands elite runners!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 586 ✭✭✭devotional1993

sounds like one of the worst races ever to be held in Ireland.:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,304 ✭✭✭jfh

hi Irishman99,

i also got that email, got as far as the 300 elite part and deleted it.
    can't remember what race i did that those guys have my email from.

• Advertisement

Ya, i was trying to think back and maybe they got my email following the Clare10k!
    Was considering going along and maybe running.
    If i wasn't in training i'd try and predict my time for the splits.
    Would it be that difficult?
    If you gave your self, say, an extra 2/3 mins to finish it than what you think you are able to, then surely you would get close to predicted splits.
    I suppose it's not really the ideal training race then!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Just sneak a garmin in ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,722 ✭✭✭Cartman78

I was delighted to find out as well that I was one of Ireland's top 300 elite runners - they've obviously spotted some deeply hidden talent that even I'm not aware of.

Would consider doing the race if I lived in Dublin and/or wasn't doing the DCM 48 hours later

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭itsalltrue

i also got the invite, i think counting myself as an elite runner is stretching the truth a fair bit.

Would love to do it but i want to take it easy before the DCM and am planning on doing just 2 miles on saturday morning at an easy pace

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Squors

There was a couple of hundred people racing in the Park yesterday afternoon with race numbers which had "Precision Timing" on. Anyone know what that was all about?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭asimonov

its starting to sound a little like the excellent parkrun project in the UK.

The mechanism sounds similar in that they are not races as such but timed runs. The obvious difference is that the sole purpose of Parkrun is that it is open to everyone while this appears to be the exact opposite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

asimonov wrote: »

The mechanism sounds similar in that they are not races as such but timed runs. The obvious difference is that the sole purpose of Parkrun is that it is open to everyone while this appears to be the exact opposite.
    Yeah thats a great project. Heading to see a friend from brighton in november and was looking for a race - wasnt looking good but then found these weekly runs which i thought was class.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,535 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Sounds to me like someone is getting some free testing work of their new system carried out. I hope there are goodie bags!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭plodder

asimonov wrote: »
    Wow, that is a fantastic idea. They seem to have the organisation pared down to the bare minimum, so you couldn't get more cheap and cheerful really! I think that could work really well in a lot of the big parks in Dublin (and other places I'm sure). I wonder if anyone is looking into bringing it over here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Episode 21 of Marathon Talk was all about parkrun, if you're interested

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭ronanmac

I did a Parkrun in Slough a few months back, accompanying my wife on her first race, post a Couch to 5k programme. We're heading over there again at the end of November (her sister lives nearby), and I'm looking forward to giving it another shot. It's such a brilliant system.

Apparently due to unforseen circumstances this event is now cancelled!:confused:

It did seem strange having it just before the DCM!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,525 ✭✭✭daymobrew

plodder wrote: »
    Wow, that is a fantastic idea. They seem to have the organisation pared down to the bare minimum, so you couldn't get more cheap and cheerful really! I think that could work really well in a lot of the big parks in Dublin (and other places I'm sure). I wonder if anyone is looking into bringing it over here.
    From the Start Your Own Event page it says:
    Setting up a parkrun event costs us about £5,000. This includes all the equipment costs, the additional web and hosting costs and all the internal costs required to create the event. We look to the councils, NHS, and other commercial bodies to fund 50% of the start-up costs for each event. parkrun events are sustained through our sponsorship model.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭plodder

I listened to the podcast about it yesterday and they said the main stumbling block to exporting it to other countries is the insurance issue. Presumably, they have some very generous setup in the UK, if they can provide full insurance cover to unlimited numbers at no cost to the people themselves. There was some mention of "Run Britain", but I don't know what that's about.

Aplogies to the OP by the way, for the diversion, on the thread ...

Advertisement