Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to get the dog to use his Kennel?

Options
  • 05-10-2010 1:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭

Hi
    We bought the dog a kennel a couple of months ago and still cant get the dog to use it. If we put his toys and blanket in he just takes them out and leaves them strewn around the garden with him in the middle. The kennel is for daytime use only but what a bad investment seeing as he never goes in! :(

Any ideas how to get him to use it without boarding him up in there??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

C2 wrote: »
    Hi
    We bought the dog a kennel a couple of months ago and still cant get the dog to use it. If we put his toys and blanket in he just takes them out and leaves them strewn around the garden with him in the middle. The kennel is for daytime use only but what a bad investment seeing as he never goes in! :(

Any ideas how to get him to use it without boarding him up in there??

if hope you are joking about boarding him up inside?? that would be the worst thing to do... i think ur joking ;)

anyway dont worry my dog did that up until 15 months.... then he learned he wasnt to keen on the rain during the day so now he loves it!! Honestly i think i read on another thread he's only 10 months.... honestly give him time and he'll be ok

DEF dont put a blanket in with him.... if he's wet it will keep him wet and he def wont use his kennel then... try his stuff, it draws water away from your dog keeping him warm and dry while your at work...

http://www.zooplus.ie/shop/dogs/dog_beds_baskets/dog_blankets/vetbed/129392

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭C2

Hey, no I wont lock him into it :D , I'm not that mean. But I do know of someone who locked their dog into the kennel every night- I was shocked.

Its good to know he might come around to using it, its a lovely kennel. My other half even tried to coax him into the kennel by climbing in himself- now that was comical! The dog now thinks its a place for fools.

Thanks for the info on the mat I'll def get him one- especially with the way this winter is forecast.

C

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭mav79

Hey C2 had the same thing with our pup a couple of months ago when we got a kennel for him, we cut a piece of carpet to fit inside that he can't pull out and rubbed a few treats into the carpet. He uses the kennel now when the weather is bad but if the weather is fine he is in the middle of the garden with his toys and blanket all around him.

Advertisement