Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Russound CAV6.6 Install Video Distribution

• 05-10-2010 2:05pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 155 ✭✭

Hi Guys

Nearly finished my installation of my A/V Distribution system (russound cav6.6)

Speakers are all installed and UNO-S2 keypads are also installed, Cav6.6 unit is in transit to me at the moment hope to have this week sometime *fingers crossed*

Last thing i need explaining to me is concerning connecting up the Video distribution, I have 4 Coax cables in the attic that connect to the Satellite Dish outside, these 4 cables run back to Node 0 (central hub). So i can connect Sat 1, Sat 2 , Freeview 1, Freeview 2 (this would take 4 sources in understand that, i'll probarbly use only 2 of them)

I know i connect each coax coming from the attic into the source box and from the source box to the CAV6.6 with RCA cables but then i get confused.

OUTPUT SOURCE
    How do I distribute/connect it to each zone, each zone in my home has 2/3 coax cables at each tv point why? Do I not only need 1 or are is 1 for Video and 2 for Audio L/R? I know I have to connect my ceiling speakers also into the L/R +/- sockets under the RCA outputs in each zone.

Can someone explain it "idiot" proof please, it would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 rob_

The cav is a composite video distribution system, you connect your sources using RCA leads(in the case of the sky boxes you need a scart to composite adaptor).
    Now all you sources are connected you connect your zones. The audio for the zones runs through your ceiling speakers. The video runs as composite video down one coax, you will need f to RCA adaptors to terminate the coax at either end

Simples :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 155 ✭✭torrestorres

rob_ wrote: »
    The cav is a composite video distribution system, you connect your sources using RCA leads(in the case of the sky boxes you need a scart to composite adaptor).
    Now all you sources are connected you connect your zones. The audio for the zones runs through your ceiling speakers. The video runs as composite video down one coax, you will need f to RCA adaptors to terminate the coax at either end

Simples :)

Cheers Rob :)

so let me get this correct, i knew i connected the sources by RCA cables, but to distribute to each zone i only need to get something like this (see link below) on each end of the coax (connecting coax to cav unit and connecting to tv)

http://www.ramelectronics.net/audio-video/adapters/rca-to-f-adapters/f-to-rca-adapter-75-518/prod75518.html

why would the guy who done the wiring put 2 coax to each tv point though and 3 to the tv point in the sitting room?

:)

Yep that's the correct fitting.

The person who specified the cabling was probably future proofing in case you were going to have a local sat box at the tv points, hence 2 coax in case you needed them for a hd or sky+ box. The tv point with 3 cables allows for a local box, and then a return feed to a distribution amp.

Hope this was of some help, message me if you need anything else :)

Yep that's the correct fitting.

The person who specified the cabling was probably future proofing in case you were going to have a local sat box at the tv points, hence 2 coax in case you needed them for a hd or sky+ box. The tv point with 3 cables allows for a local box, and then a return feed to a distribution amp.

Hope this was of some help, message me if you need anything else :)

Rob = Legend :D

im gonna have 5 tv sources, Sky+ HD, Sky Free View, DVD, 500GB Media Player and Xbox 360, i realize they will all be in standard def, but you can't see any problems distributing any of them over 1 coax??

My Music will be distributed to each zone using my old pc desktop running J rivers Media centre to give feedback to the keypads.

So really i have a spare coax cable to each zone.

I can only imagine the trouble im gonna have getting the Russound remote to control Sky+, you have any experience in this?

You will have no problems with the distribution, as the russound does all the matrix switching, so it only sends one signal down the coax at a time. The end result is a nice clean and good SD video quality.

The remotes are simple to program, but don't waste your time trying to find the manufacturers code. Use the manual programming instead, if I remember correctly you press and hold set until it blinks twice, then press 975, then press whichever button you want to program. Align the sky remote about 6 inches away when you press the corresponding button.

Let me know how you get on.

• Advertisement

You will have no problems with the distribution, as the russound does all the matrix switching, so it only sends one signal down the coax at a time. The end result is a nice clean and good SD video quality.

The remotes are simple to program, but don't waste your time trying to find the manufacturers code. Use the manual programming instead, if I remember correctly you press and hold set until it blinks twice, then press 975, then press whichever button you want to program. Align the sky remote about 6 inches away when you press the corresponding button.

Let me know how you get on.

As i said Legend :D

Will let you know how i get on mate :)

On the remotes do you really have to point it at the keypad (direct) as the wiring my keypads were in weird places like behind the sofa, and i don't wanna have to turn around to change tv station etc, would be a pain in the butt. And in my daughters bedroom the keypad is around a cornor at the light switch which means a remote in her room would be useless. I was planning on buying a few off ebay.

I'll be doing all my programming through the keypads, ive hear its a bit tedious but simple enough, any tips?

Thats the problem with multiroom systems, they rely on line of site infrared remote control. This is why the likes of Control4 systems are starting to dominate the market, a lot more bang for your buck and a wireless 2way remote. I have seen infrared signal bouncing off different surfaces, so you may not have to point it directly at the keypad, you will find a sweet spot in each room to aim the remote at. Your most frustrating part is going to be aligning the emitter on the front of the sky boxes, you will need a second person for this:
    • person 1 uses the sky remote and aims it at the keypad, pressing the up cursor
    • Person2 moves the emitter across the front of the sky box until the sky box starts to flash a red led, then this is your sweet spot on the sky box. Stick this on with super glue, and then also tape over it. Without a doubt this will otherwise fall off and wreck your head.
    As for the programming no tips really, it takes a small while to understand how it works, once your get used to it, it becomes a little bit tedious but simple. Should be fully programmed in about 20 minutes:cool::cool::cool:

Thats the problem with multiroom systems, they rely on line of site infrared remote control. This is why the likes of Control4 systems are starting to dominate the market, a lot more bang for your buck and a wireless 2way remote. I have seen infrared signal bouncing off different surfaces, so you may not have to point it directly at the keypad, you will find a sweet spot in each room to aim the remote at. Your most frustrating part is going to be aligning the emitter on the front of the sky boxes, you will need a second person for this:
    • person 1 uses the sky remote and aims it at the keypad, pressing the up cursor
    • Person2 moves the emitter across the front of the sky box until the sky box starts to flash a red led, then this is your sweet spot on the sky box. Stick this on with super glue, and then also tape over it. Without a doubt this will otherwise fall off and wreck your head.
    As for the programming no tips really, it takes a small while to understand how it works, once your get used to it, it becomes a little bit tedious but simple. Should be fully programmed in about 20 minutes:cool::cool::cool:

So the wife will actually come in handy for something :D, is it safe to use superglue on the ir emitter though? could it block the signal? i'm sure ive read on the net before that it caused someone problems before.

20mins?? really wish i had your optimism :D more like 3Hrs 20mins

I've actually emailed the dealer in USA and asked him was it possible to burn me a copy of the PC Tools Program, he said he would check with the installers.

No worries with superglue at all.

You won't need the Pc tool, it's really simple. If you want I can message on my number and I will talk you through it.

As for the wife, why bother with the remote at all? Leave her at the sky box, and shout instructions, that way when your mates come round you can tell them it's voice activated:D

No worries with superglue at all.

You won't need the Pc tool, it's really simple. If you want I can message on my number and I will talk you through it.

As for the wife, why bother with the remote at all? Leave her at the sky box, and shout instructions, that way when your mates come round you can tell them it's voice activated:D

I don't want to be a burden mate, give me your number and i could be your worst nightmare :D

If you could pm me your number it would be great and when the unit arrives, i'll buzz you :)

:D Wife activated, what a great idea.

• Advertisement

Hi Ray

Another quick question for you mate :)

In the sitting room, i have not installed ceiling speakers yet but i have a surround sound system in there that i wanted to connect the coax to, the rooms i done with ceiling speakers are (living room, Masterbed, Playroom and Daughters Bedroom)

There is actually 3 coaxs running to tv point in this room (Sitting Room).

What im asking is will the coax carry the sound from the CAV6.6 unit to the TV point in the sitting room if i just connect the coax into the yellow plug (for the zone) and leave the Audio L/R empty, my feeling is no.....

So that would mean i'd need to get a RCA connector to put on the end of coax and connect to the coax with RCA (CAV6.6) to RCA (End of Coax cable) and connect the coax direct into the TV (at the TV point in the zone) ha hope you understand all that :)

Am i right, or talking waffle :D

Edit: oh also any experience with spraying the keypad (faceplates), mine are almond and don't look great to be honest, we were thinking of spraying white or Black.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,328 ✭✭✭Homer

Why do you have the CAV up for sale on adverts??!!

Homer wrote: »
    Why do you have the CAV up for sale on adverts??!!

Opps i was gonna sell one but decided not to go ahead with it.

Marked sold/withdrawn now cheers for pointing that out :)

Who is Ray??

The CAV outputs at speaker level and line level at the same time, so you can easily connect the line level either to your tv speakers or a home cinema system. And yes you can use the three coax, one for compiste video(yellow) and the other two for left and right audio(red/white). Alternatively you can use a cat5 to carry the audio.

Also you can get a small composite to HD video scaler on the net for under €100, you can locate it behind the tv and it will improve the composite video picture, if you want.

You know where I am, if you need more info!!:cool:

Who is Ray??

The CAV outputs at speaker level and line level at the same time, so you can easily connect the line level either to your tv speakers or a home cinema system. And yes you can use the three coax, one for compiste video(yellow) and the other two for left and right audio(red/white). Alternatively you can use a cat5 to carry the audio.

Also you can get a small composite to HD video scaler on the net for under €100, you can locate it behind the tv and it will improve the composite video picture, if you want.

You know where I am, if you need more info!!:cool:

:eek: no idea who Ray is :D

Thats cool i'll get some RCA plugs and wire it up so.

No sign of CAV6.6 :( still in transit from USA, prob arrive monday/tuesday now *fingers crossed*

Here is a teaser Rob, im gonna have to check with the guy who done the wiring to ensure house is wired for sub-sones but can i use UNO-S2 keypads for Sub-zones or do they have to be the A-KP2 keypads and how would i connect the extra speaker (Ensuite) to cav6.6 for that zone (thinking setting up ensuite so i can sign Pokerface in the shower :D)

System arrived today after customs held it since monday, charged €45.00 tax/duty.

So when i get home the headache begins trying to hook up this bad boy :) so Robs phone could be in for a bit of a bashing :D

Well cheers for taking the call last night rob it worked a treat stripping the wires, all the keypads are functioning properly now except of 1 as the fuse blew in the cav :( so will try that one tonight when i get new fuses.

The Fuses blowing happened twice to me (and only bought 2 fuses) so i may pick up more today, do you think this could be a problem with the system or something im doing??

It happened when i was turning the unit off and back on.

Edit: im also short a few of the short screws to hold on the underplate (the plate the cover clips on to) for the keypads, any idea where i'd pick these up? tried a few hardware stores now with no luck :(

I have heard of this happening with units brought in from the states. Ensure you have the correct rated fuses, check any possible speaker short circuits. Failing that contact the company you bought it from and ask them. As far as I know russound emea will not cover the warranty as you brought it in direct. I guess this is the risk with importing them through the back channels. Wish I could be more help, hopefully it's something small.

I have heard of this happening with units brought in from the states. Ensure you have the correct rated fuses, check any possible speaker short circuits. Failing that contact the company you bought it from and ask them. As far as I know russound emea will not cover the warranty as you brought it in direct. I guess this is the risk with importing them through the back channels. Wish I could be more help, hopefully it's something small.

I think its the correct fuse F1.25 AL250V ???

I didn't even get around to connecting the speakers to the system, was to busy correcting the connections to the keypads.

I'll get around to connecting the speakers this evening.

Edit: actually just checked the manual the fuse should be F 1.25A H 250V. thats what i asked for but the guy in store gave me L250V don't know if that makes a big difference

Couple more questions rob hope you can help me.

1. is it ok to connect 2 speakers into the one jack on the cav (like speaker in ensuite) or would connecting to speakers into 1 jack blow it the system or damage the speakers.
    2. trying to connect the IR emitters, my DVD player is actually SR not IR, whats SR or are they the same thing?
    3. Programming the keypads to control the source equipment (whats the best way to start this any tips?) i also have a remote how do i program the remote to control sources.
    4. On the Keypads the sources and name apple tv and russ ipod, how do i change this so i can select my own source names.

Cheers Rob, im sure i'll have more questions but if you could answer these it would be great. :)

Regards T

• Advertisement

Couple more questions rob hope you can help me.

1. is it ok to connect 2 speakers into the one jack on the cav (like speaker in ensuite) or would connecting to speakers into 1 jack blow it the system or damage the speakers.
    2. trying to connect the IR emitters, my DVD player is actually SR not IR, whats SR or are they the same thing?
    3. Programming the keypads to control the source equipment (whats the best way to start this any tips?) i also have a remote how do i program the remote to control sources.
    4. On the Keypads the sources and name apple tv and russ ipod, how do i change this so i can select my own source names.

Cheers Rob, im sure i'll have more questions but if you could answer these it would be great. :)

Regards T

Had a good read of the manual over the weekend, so i know how to fix question 4 :) (change source names).

Programming does seem like it will get pretty confusing though, i had a go at it, removed the faceplate and presses the button to go into programming mode, and tried to go by the manual but didn't get to far (kids screaming around me didn't help) :) i have a feeling you need to be left alone to concentrate to get this done right ;)

Hi rob

my F to RCA connectors arrived today but im not sure how im supposed to connect these, there is nothing at the end of the plug to keep the coax cable in, i've put a picture up below.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRfXb8_F_kuBSqKGIBtLJSQwPMSML-Vzro474u7oiq1xRq0oIU&t=1&usg=__Ytjt-tF4csuvdOiJY5SacPiX7G8=

Are these the wrong ones??

Sorry for not getting back to you, am up the Walls at the moment.
    You can connect a maximum of 4 speakers per zone although it is recommended to add in a speaker switch to balance the resistance.(maplin)

I would say the sr is just a code, pretty much every DVD is ir

Follow the remote manual programming guide it's dead easy

Those connectors in the picture are bnc to RCA not f to rca

Sorry for not getting back to you, am up the Walls at the moment.
    You can connect a maximum of 4 speakers per zone although it is recommended to add in a speaker switch to balance the resistance.(maplin)

I would say the sr is just a code, pretty much every DVD is ir

Follow the remote manual programming guide it's dead easy

Those connectors in the picture are bnc to RCA not f to rca

Ahh no :( spent 20 euro on the bloody things :(

Advertisement