Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Investing In Currency USD

Options
  • 05-10-2010 2:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭

Hi guys, don't know if this is the right place or the right question, but here is my problem.

I want to start saving my money, but I don't want to trade on FOREX, too risky, I basically want to buy DOLLARS with my wages and put them into an account in USD if you get me. Can i hold an account like that in ireland? Im thinking not. How can I get around this as I don't want to hold that amount of cash in my house etc.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

PS. I want to start saving in USD as the EURO will crash against it sooner or later. Greenback is the safest bet.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,240 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

ndubz wrote: »
    PS. I want to start saving in USD as the EURO will crash against it sooner or later. Greenback is the safest bet.
    Currency trading in USDs? The value of the dollar has been dropping historically. I would rethink this. Why not consider a long alternative? How about a DRIP with JNJ? The Baby Boom is aging and their health care needs will be expanding for 20 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭digme

The Dollar is devaluing every week and won't last much longer,stay away!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 927 ✭✭✭turbobaby

You could invest in Dollar denominated ETFs, or shares with an online broker, who will give you a semi-decent exchange rate....

Or else open up a USD account with any of the major Irish banks. Just get a form from the bank. You'll get hammered by their exchange rates though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Buy Brazilian Real if you want a currency that will appreciate over time.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭ndubz

Buy Brazilian Real if you want a currency that will appreciate over time.

Do you really think this is the case? Why like?, could I open an Irish Bank Account to hold that currency in?

Thanks for all the help guys. You're Great :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

You can open a US$ account in PTSB anyway, my sister holds one so I know it can be done. As others have said though, I'd be wary about the fluctuation in the $ Vs € over the last year. You could lose maybe 25% of your investment very quickly, or perhaps you could gain 25%. The risk is great, and any loss in the exchange could easily take years to regain.

Also, every time you buy currency, you will pay commission to the bank, and when you finally change your $ back to € you will again pay. You also lose on the buy/sell exchange rate difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

ndubz wrote: »
    Do you really think this is the case? Why like?, could I open an Irish Bank Account to hold that currency in?

Thanks for all the help guys. You're Great :D
    Brazil has a strong economy and will continue to grow its own internal market and its external one this will mean strong demand for the Real especially against weaker economies like the US/EU. I doubt you can hold it in an Irish bank account I meant more as a trade with an FX Dealer.

I have/had positions in SEK and AUD and they have both done well another good currency is SGD. I speak from a GBP perspective. A mini contract on FX Dealers is £10K total exposure a full one is £100K, margin is 2% but I would suggest minimum 50% cover for some starting off.

Advertisement