Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rock super group

Options
  • 05-10-2010 2:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 46

Just thought i'd throw this up and see what kind of response it gets, basically i was out with a few mates a while ago and we were talking about who each of us thought were the best guitarist, bassist, drummer etc. ever (well in our lifetime anyway) i'm just interested to see what people come up with, maybe this has been brought up before if so let me know.

Off the top of my head.

Lead guitar - Jack White (White Stripes, etc.)
    Rhythm guitar – Matt Bellamy (Muse) not a rhythm guitarist but too good to leave out!!:D
    Bass guitar - Flea (Red hot chilli peppers)
    Drums – John Bonham (Led Zeppelin)
    Vocals - Thom Yorke (Radiohead)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Doneg Al

Ok there are no suprises in my final 5. Choices made on technical ability but also all round aura and their influence on me personally. I didnt want to put to people from the same band in but honestly, neither could be left out!

Ok my final 5

Lead guitar - Jack White (The White Stripes)
    Rhythm guitar – Jimi Hendrix
    Bass guitar - John Entwhistle (The Who)
    Drums – John Bonham - (Led Zepp)
    Vocals - Robert Plant (Led Zepp)

Honourable mentions

John Squire (Stone Roses)
    Freddy Mercury (Queen)
    John Lennon (Beatles)
    Keith Moon (The Who)
    Jaco Pastorius
    Matt Bellamy (Muse)
    The Gorilla from the Dairy Milk ad
    Malcom Young (AC/DC)
    Billy Corgan (Smashing Pumpkins)
    Kurt Cobain (Nirvana)
    Steve Cradock (Ocean Colour Scene)
    Paul Weller
    Eric Clapton! Man theres too many! Damn you!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,451 ✭✭✭Rigsby

Lead guitar : Greg Allman

Bass : Jack Bruce

Rhythm Guitar : Terry Kath

Drums : Jon Hiseman

Vocals : Robert Plant

• Registered Users Posts: 37 bigbaz

lead guitar: eric johnson

bass guitar:mark king

drums:steve gadd

keys:michael mcdonald

i think they would gel nicely too!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭Iron Hide

Lead Guitar: Tony Iommi
    Bass Guitar: Steve Harris
    Keyboards: Don Airey
    Vox: Ronnie James Dio
    Drums: Randy Castillo
    Rhythm Guitar: James Hetfield

Honourable Mentions:

Bruce Dickinson
    Jon Entwistle
    Peter Townshend
    Trent Reznor
    Tom Morello
    Tom Hunting
    Cozy Powell
    Brad Gillis
    Mick Mars
    Geezer Butler
    Freddy Mercury

• Registered Users Posts: 47 MC707

Vocals - Eddie Vedder
    Lead / Rhythm Guitar - Slash
    Lead / Rhythm Guitar - Tom Morello
    Bass - Duff McKagan
    Drums - Dave Grohl

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭Sergio

Lead guitar - Steve Lukeather
    Rhythm - Jimi hendrix
    Bass player- Cliff Burton
    Drummer - Mike Portnoy
    Vocals - Robert Plant

Too hard too make this list as there so many from all different genres and styles!

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Frusciante

Lead Guitar/Backing Vocals - John Frusciante
    Rhythm/Lead Guitar/Vocals - Warren Haynes
    Bassist - Victor Wooten
    Drummer - Tony Royster Jr

Best 4 piece you're gonna find.... although it'd be mental to have Zakk Wylde/ Derek Trucks/ Eric Johnson/ Jonny Lang in it.... Ah well, 6 lead guitarists would be nearly too much.... nearly...

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭baz123

JayJay10 wrote: »
    Just thought i'd throw this up and see what kind of response it gets, basically i was out with a few mates a while ago and we were talking about who each of us thought were the best guitarist, bassist, drummer etc. ever (well in our lifetime anyway) i'm just interested to see what people come up with, maybe this has been brought up before if so let me know.

Off the top of my head.

Lead guitar - Jack White (White Stripes, etc.)
    Rhythm guitar – Matt Bellamy (Muse) not a rhythm guitarist but too good to leave out!!:D
    Bass guitar - Flea (Red hot chilli peppers)
    Drums – John Bonham (Led Zeppelin)
    Vocals - Thom Yorke (Radiohead)
    Dude,i'm gonna say this firstly with respect...but... lead guitarist 'Jack White' ?????? Are you high? (if you are ok so ha ha) Never man. I don't think he could even be classed as a lead guitarist. Sure even Matt Bellamy is more of a lead guitarist and you got him done as rhythm?? Bass and Drums are definately worthy :) but i have to again strongly disagree with 'vocals' not a chance in hell Tom Yorke is even in the running. More suitable candidates would be 'Chris Cornell, David Coverdale, Ronnie James Dio, Myles kennedy, Corey Taylor, Bon Scott, Brent (from Shinedown), Sully Erna(Godsmack), Maynard(Tool), Ozzy, Layne Staley, Steven Tyler, Paul Rogers and Freddy Mercury' to name a few. And guitarists- Eddie Van Halen, Dave Mustaine, Zakk Wylde, Slash, Dimebag Darrell, Angus Young, Rory Gallagher, Tom Morello, Marty Friedman, Nuno Bettencourt, Richie Blackmore, Jimmy Page, Jimi Hendrix and Randy Rhoads. This is my take on it anyway. No offence meant man just my opinion :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,451 ✭✭✭Rigsby

baz123 wrote: »
    Dude,i'm gonna say this firstly with respect...but... lead guitarist 'Jack White' ?????? Are you high? (if you are ok so ha ha) Never man. I don't think he could even be classed as a lead guitarist.

This always happens with these kind of threads. It is all a matter of opinion.

totally

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 JayJay10

Dude,i'm gonna say this firstly with respect...but... lead guitarist 'Jack White' ?????? Are you high? (if you are ok so ha ha) Never man. I don't think he could even be classed as a lead guitarist. Sure even Matt Bellamy is more of a lead guitarist and you got him done as rhythm?? Bass and Drums are definately worthy :) but i have to again strongly disagree with 'vocals' not a chance in hell Tom Yorke is even in the running. More suitable candidates would be 'Chris Cornell, David Coverdale, Ronnie James Dio, Myles kennedy, Corey Taylor, Bon Scott, Brent (from Shinedown), Sully Erna(Godsmack), Maynard(Tool), Ozzy, Layne Staley, Steven Tyler, Paul Rogers and Freddy Mercury' to name a few. And guitarists- Eddie Van Halen, Dave Mustaine, Zakk Wylde, Slash, Dimebag Darrell, Angus Young, Rory Gallagher, Tom Morello, Marty Friedman, Nuno Bettencourt, Richie Blackmore, Jimmy Page, Jimi Hendrix and Randy Rhoads. This is my take on it anyway. No offence meant man just my opinion :)

No offence taken at all mate, thats what music is all about at the end of the day isnt it "difference of opinion".

But just to take you up on a few of your points you made.

I didnt really mean to state lead and rhythm guitars for White and Bellamy because there both really lead guitarists in there repective bands, firstly i'd advise you to go to youtube and type in "Under Blackpool lights" the White Stripes live DVD, Jack is unbeliveable he gives the performance of his career just his general stage presence and what he can do with a guitar will make him a legend.

And just in relation to vocals i would have put in Bellamy but i wanted a bit of variety so Thom Yorke is next in line as his voice is second to none, I agree with most of the candidates you stated yourself as they are all fantastic artists especially Bon Scott (ACDC) as i was a hugh fan of him myself, but one i am puzzled about is Corey Taylor??? Slipknot?? maybe its just be because i'm not into Heavy Metal music but if i wanted someone in there that screemed, shouted and roared through near enough every song!! i'd defo go for Corey!:D again maybe its just me but in my view hes not what you would call an ideal vocalist.

i shall definately check out that on youtube man-always into checkin out something new(even if it is only new to me ha ha) and Corey Taylor? Well he happens to be one of the best vocalists/frontmen and songwriters around. Truly. Most know of his work with Slipknot and if you are not a fan i could see why you would be surprised to see him on the list but check out anything and everything he has done with Stone Sour especially 'Zzyzx Rd' of the last album 'Come Whatever May' and his version of Chris Issacs 'The Wicked' which he performs solo and acoustic from time to time and so much awesome stuff off the new Stone Sour' album 'Audio Secrecy' i think you will be pleasently surprised :) the guy is amazing

• Registered Users Posts: 46 JayJay10

Interesting... But as i said i've never really been into Metal so i probably wont see him in the same light you do.

If your talking about a great guitarist/song writer is has to be the likes of Eric Clapton, John Lennon, Bob Dylan, Kurt Cobain, Sting, Hendrix and Billy Corgan there what i'd personally put up there if we were goin in that direction, actually i'd put James Hetfield in there aswell because he's been very consist over the years.

This is all about opinions, which is why I love threads like this. Hopfully I will see some artists I haven't heard before.

If people are dead set against Jack White, Under Blackpool Lights is an amazing show. He, on his own generates such a huge sound basically on his own. Meg Whites drumming style is basic and her presence on stage is minimal, which makes it even more incredible that Jack is able to captivate an enrire audience alone. Also I think he's underrated due to the basic style of music that the Stripes play but isn't that what an awful lot of the legendary riffs share in common? Whole lotta love for example. Basically with Jack White it's very basic, but in the live show he let's loose more and it's really worth seeing.

Also while I love rock, I find that in the modern era there are very few AMAZING guitar players. I wish it weren't true but in the right now Matt Bellamy and Jack White are the only two I'm aware of who are actually making an impact on music. And I'm not even a HUGE fan of Muse so right now I'm checking out some of the unfamiliar names on this thread so far. So keep the different opinions coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭novarock

It would be nice if people selected famous Lead guitarists for lead guitar, and famous rythym guitarists for rythym... In my opinion it is like putting Dave Grohl as your bass player..

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭hyn-zie

i am puzzled about is Corey Taylor??? Slipknot?? maybe its just be because i'm not into Heavy Metal music but if i wanted someone in there that screemed, shouted and roared through near enough every song!! .

But You did say Rock Super Group and if your aware of CT's cv, you'd be aware of Stone Sour, Apocalyptica etc etc, the guy is a genius!

My Band would consist on

Vocals - Layne Staley
    Bass - Duff McKagan
    Rythm - James Hetfield
    Lead Guitar - Randy Rhoads
    Drums - Sean Kinney

Interesting... But as i said i've never really been into Metal so i probably wont see him in the same light you do.

If your talking about a great guitarist/song writer is has to be the likes of Eric Clapton, John Lennon, Bob Dylan, Kurt Cobain, Sting, Hendrix and Billy Corgan there what i'd personally put up there if we were goin in that direction, actually i'd put James Hetfield in there aswell because he's been very consist over the years.
    ok,i am after watching some of the 'under blackpool lights' and .......eh- don't get it personally. Not my thing at all. And Kurt Cobain???? Must be the most over rated musician ever- its amazing what dying can do for a career(and i don't say that flippently- i just think that he was never as popular when he was alive-so no need to take it out of context as i was only applying it to him) all the others are quality no doubt but i must admit i am not as knowledgable on Corgan. i get it really hard to compare guitarists like Jack White to the likes of Slash, Eddie Van Halen,Tony Iommi(theres another ha ha) and Dimebag Darrell etc cos i honestly don't think he is anywhere near their league. This whole minimalistic thing is way over rated. Ok,it might be good here and there when the song needs it etc but not all the time. I just can't help but think these guys are just not that good. I need to see them let rip every now and then-show some technique etc-i need to be impressed-and 2 people(a guitarist and a below average drummer) does not do it for me. You guys need to check out some 'Dream Theater' now thats where its at. Those guys can really play and write a mean riff too :)

Loving the debate.

In regards to Kurt Cobain, I'm literally stunned anyone could question his contribution to rock. I would go so far as to say Nirvana saved rock. As a boy I used to love Iron Maiden, Metallica and Guns n Roses. Basically it was stale, big hair band stuff. That's where rock was at the time. Van Halen and co. had their time but at the time I just loved it.
    But oh my god I remember the first time I saw Smells Like Teen Spirit on MTV. It literally changed everything.
    I look at it like this, if you look back you can see music evolving. Like every ten years or so there is a jump forward. Elvis, The Beatles, Punk, Hair Band Rock. Then in the early 90's it was Nirvana and alternative rock. But since nirvana, what's changed??

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Air_Bass

Absolutely, it's horse for courses - one person may prefer the virtuosity and technical ability of prog and (some) metal while someone else will love the energy, simplicity and rawness of punk and garage rock. I don't subscribe to the lead/rhythm guitar distinction by the way, the 2 guitarists below should have no probs covering both.
    Anyways here's my 2 cents :

Vocals : Freddie Mercury
    Guitar1 : Mick Ronson
    Guitar2 : Dean DeLeo
    Bass : Nick Oliveri
    Drums : John Bonham

Personally speaking it could change day to day- but for now i'm gonna go with: Vocals- Robert Plant, Guitar 1- Slash, Guitar 2- Zakk Wylde, Bass- Geezar Butler and Drums-Mike Portnoy. Would be interesting to see what would happen stylistically etc would be one hell of a jam i would think :)

• Advertisement

Doneg Al wrote: »
    Loving the debate.

In regards to Kurt Cobain, I'm literally stunned anyone could question his contribution to rock. I would go so far as to say Nirvana saved rock. As a boy I used to love Iron Maiden, Metallica and Guns n Roses. Basically it was stale, big hair band stuff. That's where rock was at the time. Van Halen and co. had their time but at the time I just loved it.
    But oh my god I remember the first time I saw Smells Like Teen Spirit on MTV. It literally changed everything.
    I look at it like this, if you look back you can see music evolving. Like every ten years or so there is a jump forward. Elvis, The Beatles, Punk, Hair Band Rock. Then in the early 90's it was Nirvana and alternative rock. But since nirvana, what's changed??
    Nirvana did not save rock or anything even close to it. There were other bands around who were better and are still rockin out to this day ie- Soundgarden and Pearl Jam. Cobain had the controversity but way over rated imo. As a singer he wouldn't even stand beside Chris Cornell or Eddie Vader and his guitar playing?? There are far too many names to mention. And the bands that Nirvana were meant to take over from ie 'Bon Jovi, Van Halen and Def Leppard' etc ......still rockin it out today :) I actually think the Foo Fighters are a better band than Nirvana-and once David Growl picked up the pieces etc the world got to see and hear what he really can do (behind the skins and on guitar) Nirvana limited him but definately gave him the platform to do what he is doing now- playing stadiums and the like

Nirvana did not save rock or anything even close to it. There were other bands around who were better and are still rockin out to this day ie- Soundgarden and Pearl Jam. Cobain had the controversity but way over rated imo. As a singer he wouldn't even stand beside Chris Cornell or Eddie Vader and his guitar playing?? There are far too many names to mention. And the bands that Nirvana were meant to take over from ie 'Bon Jovi, Van Halen and Def Leppard' etc ......still rockin it out today :) I actually think the Foo Fighters are a better band than Nirvana-and once David Growl picked up the pieces etc the world got to see and hear what he really can do (behind the skins and on guitar) Nirvana limited him but definately gave him the platform to do what he is doing now- playing stadiums and the like

None of the seattle bands would have gotten the early recognition without Nirvana, in fact Pearl Jam's first major support was on a double headliner with RHCP and Nirvana. Soundgarden really didnt break mainstream until superunknown in 1994, despite being a signed touring band for six years before that.

They may not be a technically better band, or the first to play Grunge, but Nevermind took grunge out of seattle and brought it to the world. It was the first album to kill off Hair Metal.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Moved to Rock & Metal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭Black Magician

Dave Lombardo – Drums – Slayer

Mick Greenway – Lead Singer – Napalm Death

Eric Hoffman – Guitar – Deicide

Jeff Walker – Bass & Backing Vocals ;) – Carcass

The band would be called - Eat Pig Shít Metallica! :p

novarock wrote: »
    None of the seattle bands would have gotten the early recognition without Nirvana, in fact Pearl Jam's first major support was on a double headliner with RHCP and Nirvana. Soundgarden really didnt break mainstream until superunknown in 1994, despite being a signed touring band for six years before that.

They may not be a technically better band, or the first to play Grunge, but Nevermind took grunge out of seattle and brought it to the world. It was the first album to kill off Hair Metal.
    Which is why it sucked lol :D Sonic Youth, Dinosaur Jnr and The Pixies were all around before Nirvana and set the template for that genre. Soundgarden were signed to a major label by the late 80's so they were obviously doing ok for themselves. Anywho,i am not a huge fan of grunge-its ok from time to time but Soundgargden and Pearl Jam i do like :) and 'Temple Of The Dog' oh yeah :)

Which is why it sucked lol :D Sonic Youth, Dinosaur Jnr and The Pixies were all around before Nirvana and set the template for that genre. Soundgarden were signed to a major label by the late 80's so they were obviously doing ok for themselves. Anywho,i am not a huge fan of grunge-its ok from time to time but Soundgargden and Pearl Jam i do like :) and 'Temple Of The Dog' oh yeah :)

All of the above were doing well as I said, but Nirvana breaking with Nevermind is what brought these bands serious worldwide success, you cannot deny that..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Guitar 1 - Dave Mustaine
    Guitar 2 - Dimebag Darrell

Bass - Cliff Burton

Drums - Dave Lombardo

Vocals - Ozzy

Honorable mentions to:

James Hetfield
    Zakk Wylde
    RJ Dio
    Jason Newsted

you seriously want to credit the success of some very big bands to '1' other band???? Maybe they worked real hard to be where they were? Maybe they wrote songs that people liked? No? It was all down to Nirvana? Wow,thats news to me :eek:

you seriously want to credit the success of some very big bands to '1' other band???? Maybe they worked real hard to be where they were? Maybe they wrote songs that people liked? No? It was all down to Nirvana? Wow,thats news to me :eek:

You are misunderstanding me.. These bands were successful, they could go on international tours and play in small/medium venues. Nirvana's big break turned everyones eyes to seattle, and in turn had these bands filling arena's.. They were the first to really break big, like Motley Crue in the hair metal genre, or the strokes in the indie genre. The Strokes, as influenced as they were by british indie are the ones that turned it into a worldwide success.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Is it difficult for people to read the OP and stay on topic or something?

Advertisement