Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rock super group

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Doneg Al

baz123 wrote: »
    you seriously want to credit the success of some very big bands to '1' other band???? Maybe they worked real hard to be where they were? Maybe they wrote songs that people liked? No? It was all down to Nirvana? Wow,thats news to me :eek:

It's not that big a jump, what I think is being said is that alot of these other bands wouldn't have reached as many people worldwide if not for Nirvana's Nevermind and to a slightly lesser degree, Ten by Pearl Jam. Nobodys saying that Soundgarden were no good, and it would be stupid to try say Nirvana weren't influenced by The Pixies, especially when Cobain is on record as saying they were. But the point is that Nirvana brought the whole Grunge/Alternative rock scene to the worldwide audience. People heard Nirvana and wanted more.
    As a result other bands gained popularity. I mean it's pretty undeniable, even if that kind of music is not your thing or you just don't get the band.

And sorry for being off topic but it's an interesting discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭novarock

anyway back on topic:

vocals: Beastie Boys, and maybe Chino Moreno for the screaming
    bass: Dirk Lance
    guitar1: Wes Borland
    guitar2: Matt Bellamy
    drums: Stuart Copeland

Mostly because I think the music they would create together would be bonkers...

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭Fandango

Drums - Jimmy Chamberlain (Smashing Pumpkins)
    Bass - Chris Wolstenholme (Muse)
    Guitar - Jimmy Page (Led Zep)
    Guitar - Edge (U2)
    Vox - Freddie Mercury (Queen)

Without choosing 2 from the same band as a i dont think that would be right for a super group.

I know Edge will seem like an odd choice but absolutely love his sound. Always big and always in your face so while there are better players out there, chose him for that reason.

Chamberlain is imo one of the best drummers of all time. Dave Grohl would be a very close second but with Jimmy, you get more variety and more technical ability i think.

Chris on bass is a no brainer for me altho Flea would be next on my list. Chris is the type of bassplayer which i think is irreplacable in Muse. Massive ability and writes basslines that are the hooks of songs alot more than any bassist i can think of.

Page i dont think i have to explain why. Amazing player who writes amazing and inventive guitar lines.

Freddie is quite possibly the best rock singer of all time. Huge voice, amazing stage presence and can play some piano for an extra instrument in the band :)

So thats my picks. The Edge if i thought about it more im sure i would think of a more suitable person to fit in but i cant help it, love his sound hehe.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 JayJay10

Think i may have opened up a can of worms with the whole Kurt Cobain thing, no one can deny he had a very postive influence on the music industry so people on running him down probably dont know too much about the guy either that or you just personally dont like him.

Very interesting views and comments on this thread, which is why i started it, its always nice to get other peoples musical related opinions and already ive found out about so many musicians i never even knew existed.

Btw Strokes!! i almost for got about them, one of the best new bands to emerge in the last 10 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Air_Bass

baz123 wrote: »
    you seriously want to credit the success of some very big bands to '1' other band???? Maybe they worked real hard to be where they were? Maybe they wrote songs that people liked? No? It was all down to Nirvana? Wow,thats news to me :eek:

That's pretty much what happened Baz.
    Sure those bands did work hard but while there were a lot of great late-80's & 90's American alt/indie bands that came to wider public attention due to the popularity of Grunge, Nirvana were the ones who opened the flood-gates. Soundgarden and Pearl Jam are great bands but the fact is that they weren't achieving massive record sales and heavy rotation on the airwaves before Nirvava came along.
    With regard to Doneg Al's earlier question "since Nirvana, what's changed?" - True there hasn't been such a big change in the musical landscape in rock for many a year. There have been trends that were reasonably big for a while such as rap-metal in the late 90's and the garage-rock revival of the early 2000's but these were quite short lived. I'm not sure whether it's because people's attention-spans have become shorter or whether music has become so easily & instantly accessible and folks just don't need record labels and mtv telling them what they should be listening to, when they can easily seek out great music for themselves. Totally off topic but what the hell.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭rednik

David Gilmour guitar & vocals
    Glenn Hughes bass & vocals
    Don Henley drums & vocals
    Jon Lord keyboards
    Trevor Rabin guitar & vocals

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Doctor_Socks

Vocals : Steven Tyler
    Lead Guitar : Rory Gallagher
    Rhtym guitar : Izzy Stradlin
    Drums : Dave Grohl
    Bass : Flea

Was torn between Flea and Les Claypool

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭thebigcheese22

I'm gonna give two vocalists, because I can't choose between Eddie Vedder and Chris Cornell!

Vocals - Eddie Vedder/Chris Cornell
    Lead guitar - Mike McCready
    Rythm Guitar - Josh Homme
    Bass - Tim Commerford
    Drums - Dave Grohl

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭Fandango

Bass - Tim Commerford

Good choice. Excellent player.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

Doneg Al wrote: »

Lead guitar - Jack White (The White Stripes)
    Rhythm guitar – Jimi Hendrix

:confused::confused::confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭baz123

Doneg Al wrote: »
    It's not that big a jump, what I think is being said is that alot of these other bands wouldn't have reached as many people worldwide if not for Nirvana's Nevermind and to a slightly lesser degree, Ten by Pearl Jam. Nobodys saying that Soundgarden were no good, and it would be stupid to try say Nirvana weren't influenced by The Pixies, especially when Cobain is on record as saying they were. But the point is that Nirvana brought the whole Grunge/Alternative rock scene to the worldwide audience. People heard Nirvana and wanted more.
    As a result other bands gained popularity. I mean it's pretty undeniable, even if that kind of music is not your thing or you just don't get the band.

And sorry for being off topic but it's an interesting discussion.
    yes it is an interesting discussion and as much as i don't agree with some of it i do like reading what people have to say etc- it would be boring if we all liked the same stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭Sunset V

Vocals: Bon Scott
    Guitar: James Hetfield
    Lead Guitar: Slash
    Bass: Lemmy
    Drums: Tommy Lee.

RAAAAWWWWKK!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

Guitar: Alex Lifeson
    Bass: Geddy Lee
    Drums: Neil Peart

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,415 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Is this Dead and Alive musicians, or is it only musicians who are alive today

If Dead and Alive allowed
    Vocals: Bruce Dickinson(Iron Maiden)
    Lead Guitar: Slash(Velvet Revolver, Slash's Snakepit)
    Bass Guitar: Cliff Burton(Metallica)
    Rhythm Guitar and Back Up Vocals James Hetfield(Metallica)
    Drums: Keith Moon(The Who)

If only Alive are allowed
    Vocals: Bruce Dickinson(Iron Maiden)
    Lead Guitar: Slash(Velvet Revolver etc)
    Bass Guitar: Nikki Sixx(Motley Crue)
    Rhythm Guitar and back up vocals: James Hetfield(Metallica)
    Drums: Dave Grohl(Foo Fighters, QOTSA)

One more supergroup cause I like these :D
    Vocals: Axl Rose(Guns 'n' Roses)
    Guitar 1: Mick Mars(Motley Crue)
    Guitar 2: DJ Ashba(GnR, Sixx AM)
    Bass Guitar: Flea(Red Hot Chilli Peppers)
    Drums:Tommy Lee(Motley Crue)

Advertisement