Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Army pay

• 05-10-2010 2:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭

The below is from the RTE website of today. Not wishing to start a pissing contest between Public and Private sector here but are the figures given by PDFORRA for pay cuts not a tad exaggerated ?

Soldiers need income supplements - PDFORRA
    Tuesday, 5 October 2010 11:54
    Soldiers' group PDFORRA has criticised pay cuts of about €5,000 imposed on their members in the past two years.
    The association said hundreds of soldiers now need Family Income Supplements to make ends meet.
    PDFORRA (Permanent Defence Forces Other Ranks Representative Association), which represents 8,000 soldiers, sailors and aircrew in the Defence Forces is starting its three-day annual conference in Trim, Co Meath, this evening.
    The association said members had pay cut by about 6% this year, which is a cut of about €2,000.
    It said this was on top of a €3,000 reduction last year.
    PDFORRA said a €5,000 drop in pay is a massive reduction for workers on modest earnings.
    It said it is little wonder that hundreds of their members now need FIS payments to make ends meet.
    PDFORRA Deputy General Secretary Simon Devereux called on Minister for Defence Tony Killeen to take a stand on their behalf.
    Mr Devereux said it is unacceptable that soldiers, who serve with such pride, must now seek social welfare payments to survive.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Out of interest, is there a link to the Irish military pay scale anywhere? Be curious to see a comparison with American pay.

NTM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭Bjorn Bored.

yeah that would be an eye opener...maybe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 445 ✭✭Irish_Army01

Out of interest, is there a link to the Irish military pay scale anywhere? Be curious to see a comparison with American pay.

NTM

http://www.military.ie/careers/pay/index.htm

Wonder what the 'point' scale is? Years in grade?

If so, at my titular rank I'd get E46,747 a year. $64,700 USD at current exchange rates. (titular because I'm not sure rank is directly equal: I'm a company commander at Captain, most company commanders are Commandants in the Irish military, no? If working off Commandant scale, that's $80k US a year). Are there any additional bonuses or allowances not shown on that scale?

US pay scale, I get $64,488 base pay, taxable (Unless overseas).

The complication is the various additional allowances. Basic Allowance for Housing where I live is an additional $30,744 a year, which is not taxable. However, I live in a rather pricey part of the country. BAH for Ft Sill, Oklahoma, for example, would be $15,624 a year. COLA (Cost of Living Allowance) for where I live is an additional $2,400 a year on top of that. Not taxable. In other words, I get a total of $97,600 a year, of which about 2/3 is taxable.

On the downside, as an officer I have to pay for all my meals, except when in the field or deployed, and most all my uniforms and clothing.

NTM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

delancey42 wrote: »
    The below is from the RTE website of today. Not wishing to start a pissing contest between Public and Private sector here but are the figures given by PDFORRA for pay cuts not a tad exaggerated ?

If anything the figures are worse than that because subsistance and security duty allowances have been cut by 25% (in each case) but these figures are rarely taken into account as they're not considered a guaranteed income.

I know guys who are now in receipt of FIS.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

Manic , if you live on your base in Officers Quarters do you still get the housing allowance ?
    Interesting that while overseas your base pay is tax free.

delancey42 wrote: »
    Manic , if you live on your base in Officers Quarters do you still get the housing allowance ?

No. The purpose of BAH is to obtain housing. If the Army is giving you housing (Note that on-base housing for married troops is, literally, houses), then there's no need to obtain it.

NTM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 426 ✭✭ddef

NTM

I'd say the American pay would be lower. however, after many trips to the US it is undoubtable the cost of living is much lower than here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 145 ✭✭nyeb2007

If anything the figures are worse than that because subsistance and security duty allowances have been cut by 25% (in each case) but these figures are rarely taken into account as they're not considered a guaranteed income.

I know guys who are now in receipt of FIS.

+1 on this, I am army wife and hubbies pay has been cut by over €140 a week on his basic, not including tech, duties and sub.

I was made redundant in April and unless I can find work by next April(dreading the thoughts of not finding work) we will deffo need to start claiming FIS as there is NO WAY we could survive on hubbies wages alone.

What once was a nice secure job has become very insecure with every budget and emergency budget that is called!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

nyeb2007 wrote: »
    I was made redundant in April and unless I can find work by next April(dreading the thoughts of not finding work) we will deffo need to start claiming FIS as there is NO WAY we could survive on hubbies wages alone.

You raise a good point there.

I don't know how a young family could survive on a soldiers (enlisted) wage alone now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭newby.204

I lose €5200 off my basic a year now, gross being 25000, my take home being 19800 so id reckon those figures are a good ballpark god knows what a sgt or a cs is losing.......

Advertisement