Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Credit rating - unpaid direct debit not my fault

Options
  • 05-10-2010 2:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭

I set up a money mover the other day for 4K from my BoI account into my Rabo account.

However, through no fault of my own (it happened because I created a money mover but because of website screen issues - that they admitted to me wouldn't be fixed until next year - I got no confirmation that this money mover had successfully gone through, so I set another one up through the summary function), the direct debit went through twice and I didn't have the funds in my account for the second one so BoI charged me 12.70 for an unpaid direct debit.

Rabo direct weren't going to do anything about it but as soon as I mentioned the financial ombudsman, they have said they will pay the 12.70 back into my account as a gesture of goodwill.

But I am worried that this will affect my credit rating - I am looking for a mortgage at the moment (I know, mad) and so don't want this to happen. Rabo said nothing will happen but I am just looking for a second opinion here....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭matt70iu

jollygood wrote: »
    I set up a money mover the other day for 4K from my BoI account into my Rabo account.

However, through no fault of my own (it happened because I created a money mover but because of website screen issues - that they admitted to me wouldn't be fixed until next year - I got no confirmation that this money mover had successfully gone through, so I set another one up through the summary function), the direct debit went through twice and I didn't have the funds in my account for the second one so BoI charged me 12.70 for an unpaid direct debit.

Rabo direct weren't going to do anything about it but as soon as I mentioned the financial ombudsman, they have said they will pay the 12.70 back into my account as a gesture of goodwill.

But I am worried that this will affect my credit rating - I am looking for a mortgage at the moment (I know, mad) and so don't want this to happen. Rabo said nothing will happen but I am just looking for a second opinion here....

I wouldn't worry about it. It happens to us all at the best of times where you have a direct debit returned.

Where it starts to become a problem is when it happens several times within a short period, eg 2 to 3 months. This would indicate you are either poor at planning your finances or you have not enough income to pay all the direct debits you've committed yourself to, and would therefore go against you, especially if you are looking for the mortgage from the institution you have your current with:)

Regarding your credit rating... The ICB (irish credit Bureau) are the body that hold information on your credit activities. They do not keep details of refused direct debits, rather this is kept by your Bank.

Your Bank will pass on your payment history for any loans, overdrafts or credit cards you may have with them and nothing else.

Hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭jollygood

Thank you very much for taking the time to reply - very helpful.

Advertisement