Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Restaraunt and comedy venue?

Options
  • 05-10-2010 3:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,900 ✭✭✭

In Galway city, Im looking for recommendation for 3 types of restaraunt.

1. Fine dining: Dont think theres michelin starred venues down there (open to correction) but is there anything close?

2. Best steak : not the usual 8oz off a grill. Im looking for a GREAT steak. In dublin Darwins (9.5/10) /shanahans(9/10) standard.

3. Best curry house : (preferably indian or if its chinese it better be good, bog standard chinese not acceptable)

Also, I know the comedy festival is on the week after Im there 15th/16th oct but are there any venues on friday/sat nights?

cheers!! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

1. Fine dining: Dont think theres michelin starred venues down there (open to correction) but is there anything close?

I have never eatin' in the Radisson for dinner but the place looks the business and if the food matches the price it should be good. There's some good places food wise but the decor and ambience tends to let them down. I haven't had it in a long time but the Malt House was pretty good.
    I went to the Pullman just outside the city a while ago. I went just to experience it but wouldn't rush back.
    2. Best steak : not the usual 8oz off a grill. Im looking for a GREAT steak. In dublin Darwins (9.5/10) /shanahans(9/10) standard.

If you find this quality here let me know. I had a great streak in KC Blakes once but then the next time I went back I wasn't as blown away by it. The best steak I have had was in London at an Argentinian steak house and that one magical Steak I got in KCs wasn't too far off it.
    3. Best curry house : (preferably indian or if its chinese it better be good, bog standard chinese not acceptable)
    I believe it's Kashmir. I don't like Indian food. I would suggest going to a Thai place but to each their own. The one I did have which I liked before was on the Headford Road beside Dunnes but it has changed to a Chinese/Indian so I'd be skeptical now..
    Also, I know the comedy festival is on the week after Im there 15th/16th oct but are there any venues on friday/sat nights?
    Comedy on those nights is a rarity. Sometimes Cuba might have a comedian on a Friday night but not always. But I am a bit out of touch with things here lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭irisheddie85

1 Fine dining. I would say Oscars on dominick street is your best bet. Amazing food will definatley be going back there for special occasions, and brilliant service

2 Best steak. Scottys on the Headford road do good steaks but its a bit far out of town

3 Best curry. Thai garden at the Spanish arch do very good food and have a 3 course early bird including tea coffee for 17.50 or 21 euro depending on choice. Kashmir is good but i think has gone down in standards a bit latley

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

In Galway city, Im looking for recommendation for 3 types of restaraunt.

cheers!! :)

Can't advise on 1 or 2, I've only been to one or two "nice" places (no money!) and I wasn't blown away. I have to say I think you're asking a lot of #2 - I doubt it even exists.

As for #3, it's certainly not Kashmir. Kashmir is greasy and foul, imo. Santoor in Oranmore is quite good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭Mr.Mister

The Cottage Bar in Lower Salthill does food and comedy on a Monday Night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭dolphin city

oscars in dominic street.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Ahhhh Scottys steak. I have had that twice but not in a long time. It was actually very good. It was back after they first opened out there. Wow I have to go back there for steak, thanks for the reminder!

They age their beef before cooking so it's very tender.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Fiddlesnap

Best Curry has to be Kashmir!! Try their Chicken or Duck or indeed any of their foul! Delish!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Eviledna

For fine dining, you can't beat the twelve in Barna. I think it's the best resturant in the city and surrounds. French fusion menu.

We went for their "chef's table" back in Jan for my Dad's birthday and it was an unbelievable experience. Seated in the kitchen, somalier supplying wine all night long. Watching the chef make our food, asking him questions, it was fantastic. The food was to die for. They do a really good early bird too, 3 courses and a cocktail for €25. Best value ever :)

Having said that, I love O Grady's in Barna for their steak and seafood!

It's Kumars in Flood st for the best curry house. Without a doubt the best place in town.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Hmm, 'fine dining' is a subjective term imo, or at least the way people use it.

I'd second the 12 for good nosh, the bar menu is good too.
    O Gradys is grand when it isn't slammed busy, so weeknight better.

I think Ard Bia *used* to have a Michelin star, but that may be for when Harriet ran upstairs in the same building.

The comedy is only on a Mon at Cottage, and I think you get chips/nibblies with your admission. I think believe s an open call type thing with standups and students alike doing a bit.

There's a new music/comedy/theatre series going to start soon at the Museum Cafe (lovely lunch) in Galway City museum. Not sure when the first one is but they are deffo on Nov and Dec Wed-Sun.

Eastern Tandoori for Curry apparently, I usually have veg or fish dishes tho, and not a plain veg curry ever. Have had more pleasant experiences of late in Kashmir, I used to be a bit meh about it but it has improved.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭tootired

OpenBake the 12 sounds great - must look into that.

OP - not sure that anywhere can be considered fine dining but I have eaten in the following albeit a while ago, Oscars, Abalone on Dominick St, both were lovely. Also Cava on Dominick St is very good. Vina Mara is doing a 3 course set menu for 2 with a bottle of wine for €67. My sister ate there and said it was good, with varied enough choices.

Can't help on the steak front - although I recently had a fantastic fillet steak in the Gourmet Tart, but that's their only steak option

Da Tang Noodle House on Middle St is a different Chinese, they don't use MSG and seem to be authentically Chinese as opposed to what the vast majority of people want from a Chinese, you won't find glupey cornflour thickened sauces here. Fine dining it aint though!
    Heard varying reports on the Tea House(Chinese) in Mary St, but it looks very nice(decor that is)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭meeka

I think Abalone on Dominic Street may be a Michelen Star restaurant, never been there myself though so can't attest to the quality of the place; I've just noticed a couple of their awards outside the door while walking past a few times.

As for my suggestion, Nimmo's on the pier at the Spanish Arch is lovely. Not too pricey and the food is delicious, simple as!

Don't know about steak, I'm vegetarian :P can't really help with the curry either, for Indian food we usually go to Eastern Tandoori which is grand, quite cheap.

meeka wrote: »

As for my suggestion, Nimmo's on the pier at the Spanish Arch is lovely. Not too pricey and the food is delicious, simple as!

Just to clarify for the OP that Nimmos/Ard Bia are the same place, there is also a daytime cafe with a different menu.

Deffo second and third the recommendations for Cava. Think Tuesday is Paella night too, and they do a lovely deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

2624650955_c751e88651.jpg

2624650955_c751e88651.jpg

Unfortunately I now have to boycott Supermacs as they have decided to no longer sell the codburger (the holy grail of supermacs for me for yeeears).
    It was 'too much trouble' to have people wait 7 mins for them to cook it fresh.

Feck that!:p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

Dont come to Galway for food. You'll find some nice average places but nothing great.

1. There's nothing close to Michelin standard anywhere. There isn't even a Michelin bib gourmand rated restaurant even though there are plenty in that price range.

2. There's no good steak house. Ive often thought that opening one in Galway could be a good opportunity.

3. Hate to continue the theme, but the choice of Indian is poor as well.

Listen, you can have perfectly good hearty food in Galway, and have a good night out, but forget fine dining.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Bar 8 on the docks is easily the best restaurant in Galway at the moment. Not over priced and all produce sourced within 50 miles on the kitchen. Well worth a visit.

inisboffin wrote: »

I think Ard Bia *used* to have a Michelin star, but that may be for when Harriet ran upstairs in the same building.

Nope. Never. AFAIK there has only ever been one Michelin star west of the Shannon and it's been gone for a long time now. There are currently only 6 michelin starred kitchens on the island, one in belfast, one in adrmore in waterford and 4 in dublin city.

Seaneh wrote: »
    Nope. Never. AFAIK there has only ever been one Michelin star west of the Shannon and it's been gone for a long time now. There are currently only 6 michelin starred kitchens on the island, one in belfast, one in adrmore in waterford and 4 in dublin city.

You're probably right. The old Nimmos had an award plaque, but I can't be sure which it was - it may have been one of the others.. Bridgestone perhaps? I just remember a friend talking about the 'award plaque' - it may still
    be up even?

On a side note I have eaten in 2 M* in the last 5 years. One was average yet overpriced, the other (now closed) was disappointing :(

Where were they?
    Closed one was probably mint (good food but, yeah over priced)?
    What was the other one?

And yeah, I think they have a bridgestone "recommendation" thingy.

• Advertisement

Yep, Mint. Not a nice experience, poor staff seemed terrified. Other one is in England and sorry lads, am not going to name it as I know someone working there!

inisboffin wrote: »
    Yep, Mint. Not a nice experience, poor staff seemed terrified. Other one is in England and sorry lads, am not going to name it as I know someone working there!

No bother. Yeah mint was weird. tiny little place and the head chef was always bloody eyeballing the patrons and barking at the poor staff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭dolphin city

OpenBake wrote: »
    For fine dining, you can't beat the twelve in Barna. I think it's the best resturant in the city and surrounds. French fusion menu.

We went for their "chef's table" back in Jan for my Dad's birthday and it was an unbelievable experience. Seated in the kitchen, somalier supplying wine all night long. Watching the chef make our food, asking him questions, it was fantastic. The food was to die for. They do a really good early bird too, 3 courses and a cocktail for €25. Best value ever :)

Having said that, I love O Grady's in Barna for their steak and seafood!

It's Kumars in Flood st for the best curry house. Without a doubt the best place in town.

i must disagree with you there - their pub / bistro area is nice and the food is good, but the restaurant upstairs must the the coldes, most unatmospheric, place I have ever eaten.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭rivalius13

90% of restaurants in Galway seem to have Bridgestone plaques. They hand them out like medals at junior infants sports day.

i must disagree with you there - their pub / bistro area is nice and the food is good, but the restaurant upstairs must the the coldes, most unatmospheric, place I have ever eaten.

Agree, I thought it was awful and the food was at best average.

rivalius13 wrote: »
    90% of restaurants in Galway seem to have Bridgestone plaques. They hand them out like medals at junior infants sports day.

Agreed, they appear to be no better than a marketing gimmick.

churchview wrote: »
    Agree, I thought it was awful and the food was at best average.

I should qualify my comment about the 12. I have never actually eaten upstairs, friends have and they liked it. I have had dinner downstairs at the back, technically though I think that counts as the 'bar' but it is 'proper nosh' with both hearty and delicate options. I actually thought the food was splendid and the atmosphere good. Can't personally vouch for upstairs.
    I have heard people rave about the '12 restaurant' meaning downstairs. One person didn't even know there was an upstairs. There may be confusion in the reviewing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,900 ✭✭✭clint_silver

thanks for all the suggestions lads.

we'll give kashmir a go for the indian, and I'll try to get into oscars for the steak.

I cant believe theres no comedy on anywhere on a friday or a saturdy even a dingy little venue would be good. Even though the standard isnt all that great in dublin at times there seems to alwys be something on.

few lads heading down this weekend and as event chief master I was tasked with organising the evenings. I desperately want to do something other then just sitting in a boozer in the evenings all night

• Registered Users Posts: 2,900 ✭✭✭clint_silver

is there a pub quiz anywhere on thurs/fri this week? we'll travel out a bit even, the lads are demons for a few questions.

• Advertisement

I cant believe theres no comedy on anywhere on a friday or a saturdy even a dingy little venue would be good. Even though the standard isnt all that great in dublin at times there seems to alwys be something on.

venues only take a 'risk' with comedy and some theatre type stuff o. A slow night, or lunchtime in their upstairs. They know they will get drinkers thurs to Sunday anyway. They only usually have exceptions for big name draws. Dublin has more pub seats to fill, so often you'll find a little gem of a gig in a smaller pub at weekends. Pity we don't have a couple of those here.

Advertisement