Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Feedback Link?

Options
  • 05-10-2010 3:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭

Noticed a few days back that the usual handy link that I always used for Feedback is now gone and the main links are now just:

feedbacko.jpg

I guess if a user is subscribed to the forum, then it's not an issue and of course Feedback can also be accessed through the Sys menu, but I would just wonder how many people would actually use the Sys menu compared to just clicking on the link that was on all the main pages.

Do the development team have stats on stuff like how many visitors Feedback gets and from which links users click through to get here?

Anyway, just thought it might be worth mentioning as there could be a chance of Boards users now being less likely to visit Feedback now that there is no clear and visible link to it on the main forum pages.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,900 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Typing Feedback into the "find a forum" box on the Beta skin works very well, although slightly less speedily than a direct link.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

tbh, I don't think a link to Feedback at the bottom of the screen is crucial considering that they seem to be aimed at newer users, many of whom wouldn't have any actual feedback to contribute yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

It's still there at the bottom of my page, Black Theme.

Removing the Helpdesk link might keep all the lost 1st timers out of the Helpdesk forum though. Newbies & FAQ might be a better link to have there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

jor el wrote: »

I'm using Beta.
    tbh, I don't think a link to Feedback at the bottom of the screen is crucial considering that they seem to be aimed at newer users, many of whom wouldn't have any actual feedback to contribute yet.

I take your point Kenzie Prehistoric Abdomen, but I'm not so sure I would agree.

I think Feedback from the somewhat newer users, can be quite relevant and helpful.

Seeing a forum through fresh eyes can sometimes give a perspective that's missing from those that have been here for a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

All the best gems are hidden away from view. You can't have too much of a good thing, you gotta take good news in good steps.*

Revealing the manna of Feedback to the uninitiated is like looking into the eyes of google, via google, or something lolcatty.

*we're exoboxosphere sky thinking here, now, folks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

Gordon wrote: »
    All the best gems are hidden away from view. You can't have too much of a good thing, you gotta take good news in good steps.*

Revealing the manna of Feedback to the uninitiated is like looking into the eyes of google, via google, or something lolcatty.

*we're exoboxosphere sky thinking here, now, folks.

Are you just making words up as you go along? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

Well said, I don't see the problem with it considering new users would most likely navigate the site before even thinking about giving Feedback.

In any case if they are new users then they would be unaware of any changes.
    OutlawPete wrote: »
    I'm using Beta.

So am I, and it's no hardship to point the cursor up to Sys, instead of down.

.. it's no hardship to point the cursor up to Sys, instead of down.

I addressed that with:
    .. of course Feedback can also be accessed through the Sys menu, but I would just wonder how many people would actually use the Sys menu compared to just clicking on the link that was on all the main pages.

My point is that I more users of the site will be inclined to come and give their Feedback when the link is on the main forum pages.

When the link to the forum is fully visible, it gives the impression that Feedback is wanted and will be appreciated.

When it's hidden away, not so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

I addressed that with:

My point is that I more users of the site will be inclined to come and give their Feedback when the link is on the main forum pages.

When the link to the forum is fully visible, it gives the impression that Feedback is wanted and will be appreciated.

When it's hidden away, not so much.

Maybe it was too accessible? I jest!

Never noticed the link before.

I suppose the obvious answer is to find out if it was used much.

pedantic reply. There is no link to Feedback in the screen shot provided, Helpdesk and FAQ Yes, but not Feedback. / pedantic reply.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Rereads OP and gets screenshot.

Feels less smug.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement

K-9 wrote: »
    pedantic reply. There is no link to Feedback in the screen shot provided, Helpdesk and FAQ Yes, but not Feedback. / pedantic reply.

There isn't supposed to be.

How exactly would I take a screen shot of something that is no longer there?

As my post says:
    .. Feedback is now gone and the main links are now just:

There isn't supposed to be.

How exactly would I take a screen shot of something that is no longer there?

As my post says:

Yeah, corrected it myself. Jaysus, ye are quick with the replies! :D

K-9 wrote: »
    I suppose the obvious answer is to find out if it was used much.

Yeah, would be interesting to know how many click-throughs that link actually got compared to other avenues to Feedback.

Either way, no big deal - just thought it worth pointing out and giving a little feedback on.

I for one, missed it anyway, as it was the only way I ever accessed Feedback.

Wait a minute .. maybe that's the reason it went awol :p

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Noticed a few days back that the usual handy link that I always used for Feedback is now gone and the main links are now just:

feedbacko.jpg

I guess if a user is subscribed to the forum, then it's not an issue and of course Feedback can also be accessed through the Sys menu,

TBH, i've never even noticed that before, using the beta skin and I use the menus along the top to get to the forums I look over.
    alwaysadub wrote: »
    Are you just making words up as you go along? :pac:

It's latin for out of the box :P

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

We have been tracking clicks on various links and watching the numbers of various links etc.

We're actively working on clearing up the Header and Footer at the moment in the Beta skin (it is the Beta skin after all :) )

Almost no one used that link (or indeed many of the footer links) so we simplified things. We're on a "simplification" drive at the moment as lets face it, our UI is beyond "confusing" :)

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,399 ✭✭✭Bonito

jor el wrote: »

Removing the Helpdesk link might keep all the lost 1st timers out of the Helpdesk forum though. Newbies & FAQ might be a better link to have there.
    Same here, using the Evil skin and it's still visible for me.

Advertisement