Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any Suggestions? - Neighbour Dumping Rubbish

Options
  • 05-10-2010 3:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭

So,

Have had work going on in the house for a good while now but in the past 3 weeks i've been finding bags of refuse from a kitchen in the skip.

Needless to say, when you hire a skip you more or less accept that people will dump stuff illegally in it, however when people start dumping kitchen refuse, with juice dripping off it, that's where I draw a line. I wouldn't mind an old chair, desk etc but after that, it becomes a health hazard, as the skip has been outside for periods of up to 3 weeks at a time.

Last week I noted that one of the houses across the road didn't put their bins out, no sure fire way of knowing they were responsible but an indication none the less.

So this week, I had a peek across the road and low and behold, their bin was not out for collection, there's 4 people living in the house so for them to have not put their bin out 2 weeks in a row either means they are the one's responsible or they are stock piling their rubbish out the back garden. I'm leaning towards the former at this point.

In short, it appears as though they are just trying to save a few € by not having their bins lifted and dumping their bins in our skip instead.

Unfortunately, I have no firm actual evidence but the fact that they didn't put their bins out 2 weeks in a row is pretty damning.

What would you do in my position? Short of camping out by the skip it's going to be very hard catching them in the act.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

Not sure there's anything you can do without catching them in the act, OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

I dont think you can just assume its them . you might be right but you may not.

I generally only put out my bin ever 3 weeks. Primary reason is I compost and I also recycle so it doesnt fill up as fast as it used to.

either way without catching them in the act or opening the bag and finiding something that points the finger at them theres nothing you can do.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

If you fancy taking a quick look through the bags in your skip, you could see if they had left anything with names and/or addresses in the bag?

Or try cathing them in the act, but unless you get something definitive there's nothing much you can do.

Or a sign up saying 'please do not dump kitchen waste in the skip', although that could cause more problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

Or, when the rats show up you could just nail their pelts to their door :P

(kidding!)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

What I'd do is take the bag of rubbish out of your skip and put it on the side of the road, ring the council and say there has been excessive littering going on outside your house. Hopefully a warden will come along and go through the rubbish, there's usually a name and address in rubbish and they might hopefully be fined for dumping.

I think that's how it works anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭rua327

I'm with Cathmandoo on this. I have seenthis on tv before. The council send in a "forensic" style team who look for clues to the identity of the culprit, and you'd be surprised what they find that gives the game away.

Either this, or wait up at night, and catch the neighbour, and BATE the ****e out of him. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

Yeah, Cathmandoo has made a good suggestion.

The Mooney show has been doing a regular feature on illegal dumping and how it's dealt with. Even though individuals claimed that they had paid for their rubbish to be disposed of, they were still liable for the illegal dumping and were fined. So ignorance is not an acceptable excuse.

I remember years ago somebody dumped a few bags of rubbish into our garden. My dad went through it and found something with the person's name and address on it. He rang them, and obviously they denied any knowledge of how their rubbish had turned up in our garden, so he called over to their house, put it on the doorstep and told them that seeing as it was their rubbish it was their responsibility to ensure it was disposed of correctly and should it happen again he would report them. They didn't protest, and, strangely, it never happened again!

(granted this occurred in the 80s, so I'm not sure how it would be viewed today!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Samba

Cheers for the replies, more or less what I was thinking, my knee jerk reaction was to march over there and confront them about the situation, calmly and politely.

But that might spark a negative defensive reaction, regardless if they are innocent or guilty.

New skip coming in the morning so I'll wait and see if anything appears and I think i'll go down the litter warden route if does.

Cheers!

Would also love to hear from anyone with a similar experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭gossipgal08

Any chance they are tresspassing to get to the skip?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,787 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

If I were you I would just get the building work done as quickly as possible, and minimise the amount of time that the skip is on the road for. Use rubble bags to store rubbish until the skip arrives, then fill it rapidly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

I got a fine in the post for littering a while back.
    Which was strange, since at the time I was alleged to have littered, I didn't even have a bin.

I left it out and it got nicked (2nd time, it happened at the start of the summer too) only to turn up again on collection day. So I intervened and went through the rubbish myself, finding a letter addressed to a foreign student living in a dump of a place up the road.

I fished all the manky bags of cans and rotting food out of my bin and dumped them back on the doorstep of the house responsible. Then I filled the bin with my rubbish and left it back for collection, and went looking for a phone number for the landlord, who I rung and gave out yards to.

Two days later, I got a fine in the post, claiming I'd littered. The scummy thieves had emptied my bin and just tossed the bag of rubbish that was in it.
    Not content with nicking my bin and getting their crap collected for nothing, they apparently want to have me fined for the privilege of having my bin nicked by them.

I've sent an affidavit to the council and heard nothing back about a fine. I hope the students get it and more. I know the next time I spot them dumping their rubbish where they shouldn't, I'm going to retrieve it and do a drive-by at Leinster House with it.

Two birds, one bag of sh!te.

Advertisement