Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insulation Questions (it's that time of year)

• 05-10-2010 3:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭

I'm a bit of a newbie with DIY, but moving into an old house has got me going!, So I need to insulate my attic, easy enough to do, right?
    Roughly what cost should i be looking at? Its 135 square metres. So i reckon i'd put 150 in between the joists and 150 over.
    Can anyone recommend the cheapest place to source this? And I take it it's cheaper to do this myself rather than getting someone in.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Any reputable builders provider like brooks or buckleys. Give them the dimensions and they'll give you a price

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Ring UValue in blanchardstown....they supply insulation to the trade and public and will give you good advice.

I have no affiliation to them but i deal with them regulary and find them helpful.........and cheap!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

I would measure the joist depth as older houses have smaller depths,say around 100mm. It's better to insulate up to the joist depth. that way if you need to floor at any point you can and the weight of the insulation placed over the top doesn't bear down on the stuff below compressing it. reducing it's effectiveness over time.

If you can lay more over the top then add extra here and lay it at 90 degrees to the stuff underneath. In other words you lay between the joists for the first layer and across for the second.

Ensure you leave any gaps for ventilation clear and unblocked. And note the location of any pipes and wires (take pics and make a plan.) As when you need to get to them again it will probably be in a hurry or by an electrican/plumber who will have no interest in wading through your lovley insulation.

I've done a few lofts and there dead easy. Good time of year, the new insulation is low irritant. Aim for around 250mm if you can (100+150) A friend makes the job go much quicker.

That should serve you well. Oh and if you have a water tank in the attic dont insualte under the tank.

good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭StopWatch

Thanks for that Lantus, great advice, much obliged.
    Any good tips for suppliers?
    Lantus wrote: »
    I would measure the joist depth as older houses have smaller depths,say around 100mm. It's better to insulate up to the joist depth. that way if you need to floor at any point you can and the weight of the insulation placed over the top doesn't bear down on the stuff below compressing it. reducing it's effectiveness over time.

If you can lay more over the top then add extra here and lay it at 90 degrees to the stuff underneath. In other words you lay between the joists for the first layer and across for the second.

Ensure you leave any gaps for ventilation clear and unblocked. And note the location of any pipes and wires (take pics and make a plan.) As when you need to get to them again it will probably be in a hurry or by an electrican/plumber who will have no interest in wading through your lovley insulation.

I've done a few lofts and there dead easy. Good time of year, the new insulation is low irritant. Aim for around 250mm if you can (100+150) A friend makes the job go much quicker.

That should serve you well. Oh and if you have a water tank in the attic dont insualte under the tank.

good luck.

Advertisement