Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spec recommendations for web development system?

Options
  • 05-10-2010 3:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭

I'm about to buy a laptop and I'm trying to determine what is recommended to run programmes such as Dreamweaver, Fireworks, NetBeans, browsers, local server etc.

I'm trying to gauge what processors and such is best for these.

Apologies if this isn't developmenty enough for this forum

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭NeverSayDie

Nulty wrote: »
    I'm about to buy a laptop and I'm trying to determine what is recommended to run programmes such as Dreamweaver, Fireworks, NetBeans, browsers, local server etc.

I'm trying to gauge what processors and such is best for these.

Apologies if this isn't developmenty enough for this forum

Shouldn't matter really, any modern multi-core processor will be plenty sufficient for that kind of thing. Just make sure you have enough RAM (3/4gb or so), especially if you're going to be working with Photoshop or the likes.

Beyond that, personally I'd worry more about decent screen, mouse and keyboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Nulty

Yeah I'd like to have most of those things running at the same time so RAM would be the main issue.

Screen is important too, I'm thinking a 17" screen. Of course thats down to personal preference of mobility but there ought to be a bare minimum for working with Ps/Fw. I would think that its common to sacrafice portability for clarity and screen space.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Run linux on it; make sure you have enough RAM (you don't need a 64-bit, 4-Gb laptop, but it's nice if you're doing graphics work); and if you want to speed it up even more, get an SSD instead of a normal hard drive.

But basicly, every modern laptop (bar netbooks) has more than enough horsepower to develop a full LAMP-stack application, let alone a mere website.

Personally, last time I bought, I went more for reliability and RAM than CPU speed (and got a Thinkpad R61). It's coming up on three years old now, and still faster than I need - and I use it's successor, the W500, at work and can't really spot a difference between them. In fact, I'm more likely to upgrade because of broken connectors (the power plug's getting a little wobbly) than any performance issue.

Sparks wrote: »
    Run linux on it; make sure you have enough RAM (you don't need a 64-bit, 4-Gb laptop, but it's nice if you're doing graphics work); and if you want to speed it up even more, get an SSD instead of a normal hard drive.

But basicly, every modern laptop (bar netbooks) has more than enough horsepower to develop a full LAMP-stack application, let alone a mere website.

Personally, last time I bought, I went more for reliability and RAM than CPU speed (and got a Thinkpad R61). It's coming up on three years old now, and still faster than I need - and I use it's successor, the W500, at work and can't really spot a difference between them. In fact, I'm more likely to upgrade because of broken connectors (the power plug's getting a little wobbly) than any performance issue.

I was thinking about giving Linux a go with the new laptop alright. I'll end up buying Windows almost unavoidably though right?

Having looked at those SSD drives they look pretty expensive compared to DDR. Think I'll give them a miss.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

A lot of vendors will not bundle Windows if you ask them not too, make sure you get a discount though!

• Advertisement

Cheers Phil. I'll see what they say.

Advertisement