Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lens Sigma or Canon??

• 05-10-2010 4:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭

Head is wrecked trying to figure out what to buy.

Looking for a lens to use for indoor sports generally in badly lit halls :( Currently using a 50mm lens but can't always get the distance I need.

I was looking at the Canon 24-70 F2.8 L at €1349.99 or the Sigma 24-70 F2.8 IF EX DG HSM at €970.00. Would love the Canon but not sure of the amount of use will justify the cost. The lens would generally only be used about 6-8 times a year on my 7D.

Anyone have any experience with the Sigma lens or offer any alternatives.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,026 ✭✭✭kelly1

This may help you. Not sure if this if the Sigma lens you mentioned but you can see a big difference in sharpness and contrast at f/2.8.

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/ISO-12233-Sample-Crops.aspx?Lens=372&Camera=9&Sample=0&FLI=4&API=0&LensComp=101&CameraComp=453&SampleComp=0&FLIComp=4&APIComp=0

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭eeyore2502

OMG that is some difference!

Not sure if it's the same Sigma but yes, huge difference :eek: Keep saving!

Take a look at Camerabox http://www.camerabox.co.uk/productDA1.asp?ProductName=Canon-24-70mm-EF-f2.8L-USM-&ProductID=2289
    or Ian Kerr on ebay. Apparently his prices are hard to beat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

85mm f1.8?

Thanks but 85mm is going the wrong way. Need a shorter lens, the 50mm I am using at the moment is ok for the kids but when there is adults I can't always get far enough back to get full body in the frame.

• Advertisement

24mm/28mm f1.8?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

Sigma 30mm ƒ1.4 adore.gif

I would prefer to have a bit of zoom on it, some competitions I can get right to the side of the mats but in other comps I can't so a bit of zoom is useful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 345 ✭✭hmboards

One thing you might consider as well is noise (as in audible noise). The Sigma lenses aren't always the quietest. It might not matter too much for stills, but if you intend taking video too at some stage it might be a consideration.

hmboards wrote: »
    One thing you might consider as well is noise (as in audible noise). The Sigma lenses aren't always the quietest. It might not matter too much for stills, but if you intend taking video too at some stage it might be a consideration.
    I seriously doubt lenses can cause noise!?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

kelly1 wrote: »

Some lens make a relatively loud audible noise when autofocusing

Sorry hmboards, thought you meant image noise! :) Duh!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

kelly1 wrote: »

you need to listen when someone is using "some" ordinary lenses versus a dedicated Canon USM (Ultrasonic motor) - you can hear the difference between canon lenses as well as canon/sigma ...or any other maker.. lenses.

when the lens is focusing ...it searches and this is when you hear the noise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,256 ✭✭✭LeoB

I have a similar headwrecking choice as you at the moment but I dont have your budget:mad:

Have you considered the Sigma 17-70 f2.8? That is what I am thinking about buying, costing around €500 for the basic one or €550 for one with OS. Would there be a huge difference in quality between the Sigma 24-70 f2,8 IF EX DG HSM and the 17-70 f.2.8 to justify the extra money?

I have decided to bite the bullet and go for the Canon 24-70 F2.8 L, getting a loan of one tonight so looking forward to trying it out. I have ordered mine but it won't be here for another week or so.

Enjoy, great all round lens

Thanks, can't wait to get my hands on it. Should be in the end of the week or early next week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 102 ✭✭Markham

Howdy,

If you're still interested, I'm putting my Sigma 24-70mm f2.8 up for sale. Ad just awaiting review on adverts.ie.

It is a lovely lens, but I got offered the Canon equivalent at a knock-down price so I've no use for two. Comes with a UV filter.

Take a look at the pics and let me know if you are interested.

M

Sorry Mark, only seeing this now. Good luck with your sale but I went with the Canon.

Advertisement