Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

.22 Semi Auto Tactical

Options
  • 05-10-2010 4:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

Anybody have a .22 Semi Auto Tactical, OR changed the Stock on RUGER 10/22, any problem getting a cert. ect??

AR Conversion Kit for a 10/22 with Handguard and Butt Stock

completeARkit_sm.jpeg

Mossberg Tactical 22
    Mossberg-Tactical-22-1.jpg

Colt M4 Ops 22 caliber
    right.jpg

SMITH & WESSON’S M&P15-22 Rifle
    swrifle-large.gif

Ruger SR-22

http://www.ruger.com/products/sr22/index.html

G.G.H.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

i would'nt bother sure it would be restricted, pistol grip and a telescopic stock.
    i can't think of a reason to give the chief for needing it when a stock 10/22 dose the same.
    although i'd love an ar.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

juice1304 wrote: »
    i would'nt bother sure it would be restricted, pistol grip and a telescopic stock.
    i can't think of a reason to give the chief for needing it when a stock 10/22 dose the same.

THE one to get is the brand-new Walther-Umarex Heckler & Koch 416 rimfire. The Colt repro has had a really bad recent press, well-deserved if the many posts on it are true. But the H&K seems to have them all beat into a cocked hat.

Have a look at it on Youtube and make up your own minds.

Sadly, I doubt you'll ever see any of then in the RoI, but you never know! The real villains don't use rimfire copies, do they?

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭gunhappy_ie

Actually its not restricted because of teh stock and pistol grip. The rifle is classed as restricted solely because of its mag capacity. however if buying through a competant dealer (if available) lower cap mags can be sorced or the origional mag can be pinned.

tac foley wrote: »
    THE one to get is the brand-new Walther-Umarex Heckler & Koch 416 rimfire. The Colt repro has had a really bad recent press, well-deserved if the many posts on it are true. But the H&K seems to have them all beat into a cocked hat.

Have a look at it on Youtube and make up your own minds.

Sadly, I doubt you'll ever see any of then in the RoI, but you never know! The real villains don't use rimfire copies, do they?

tac

Brimmer .22s have been around in ireland for some time now. ive heard varing stories about them but the biggest problem is that firing pins broke... guess why :P:P:P

As for any other type of AR clone in .22 they are readily available in euope so they can be gotten here but its a matter of a customer either ordering it on or a dealer taking a change and buying "something different" in the hope that it will sell.

Brimmer .22s have been around in ireland for some time now. ive heard varing stories about them but the biggest problem is that firing pins broke... guess why :P:P:P

As for any other type of AR clone in .22 they are readily available in euope so they can be gotten here but its a matter of a customer either ordering it on or a dealer taking a change and buying "something different" in the hope that it will sell.

That's great so.

How many of you here have got one?

tac

• Advertisement

That's great so.

How many of you here have got one?

tac

Unfortunatly not every firearms owner in Ireland is persent on this forum.

However I know of 4 such rifles in the hands of licenced holders as non resticted rifles.

I actually converted 1 to M4 spec for a guy.

Unfortunatly not every firearms owner in Ireland is persent on this forum.

However I know of 4 such rifles in the hands of licenced holders as non resticted rifles.

I actually converted 1 to M4 spec for a guy.

Thank you, I'm well aware that not every firearms owner in Ireland is present on the forum - my question was aimed at those who were. I'd like to see the job you made on the M-4 look-alike, if you have any images.

TIA

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 15,025 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Wouldnt say many,proably because they are [1]pretty new on the market in Europe and the US,and TBH,Ireland is in a backwater for most things especially when it comes to firearms.[2] proably expensive to what they are to import [3] people are proably scared off anything that looks like it is not conventional,so therefore it mustnt be easy to liscense,or will be classified as an assault rifle by our superior knowledgeable ballistics experts,for whom everything is tactical and deadly....:rolleyes:[4] Hence not many gun dealers stocking them ,if at all.

Should also add,that the S&W model is having some sort of difficulty with export from the USA,as well.So it wont be showing up much over here.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

They're restricted by virtue of the fact that they resemble assault rifles. (I know this is the stupidest criterion in the whole bloody SI, but anyone who tries to argue they don't fit it is going to find themselves in a bucket of trouble)

Didnt realise they had select fire then!:D
    BTW after perusing the Garda guidelines,[which as the Gardai themselves say are "only guidelines";):rolleyes:].They would be restricted if they have over ten shots,not because of their features which according to the guidelines make them more dangerous and less accurate.:rolleyes::rolleyes:.
    No problem there,then So a 30.06 Garand is then less dangerous than an AR15 because of its looks???:rolleyes::rolleyes:.Ya gotta wonder where these people got their training,if at all.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Advertisement

They're restricted by virtue of the fact that they resemble assault rifles. (I know this is the stupidest criterion in the whole bloody SI, but anyone who tries to argue they don't fit it is going to find themselves in a bucket of trouble)

That's a great pity - they are, as I'm certain you appreciate, great fun and designed to use up all the planet's spare .22 stuff in a very short space of time. One of our sunday morning club members has the GSG-5 and easily gets through between 500 and a 1000 in a couple of hours...especially with 'helpers'.... ;=)

The SIG522 is the latest to be common here - not seen any of the others yet but I'm looking to get the H&K model if the price is right.

tac

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Didnt realise they had select fire then!:D

They DO.

You can select semi-auto, or none. ;=)

tac

Thank you, I'm well aware that not every firearms owner in Ireland is present on the forum - my question was aimed at those who were. I'd like to see the job you made on the M-4 look-alike, if you have any images.

TIA

tac

Sorry.. i thought the question was directed at me .. :P:P:P:P tis gettin late.

unfortunatly i dont have pics and it was about 5 years ago. simple do... cut and recrown the barrel... there is no gas tube length to worry about.

A barrel sleeve had to be made up so that the front site would fit back on and that the barrel would have the same diameter to the muzzle flash. the sleve was tight enough to be beat (:P) on nd not work loose.... rifle reassembled with new handguards (airsoft i think) after refinish.

restricted list defines an assault rifle as a rifle being able to function in SA and FA

Or rifles that resemble such rifles...

These .22s dont have that look or capability so as long as there mags hold a max of 10... alls well .. its non restricted

restricted list defines an assault rifle as a rifle being able to function in SA and FA

Or rifles that resemble such rifles...

These .22s dont have that look or capability so as long as there mags hold a max of 10... alls well .. its non restricted

Rifles like the ones in the OP? Yeah, they look like assault rifles. It's as simple as that. You can argue about different sizes or weights and other small details, but simply put, you'd get crucified in any court in the country if you tried to argue that it didn't really resemble an assault rifle on those grounds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

Ruger1022Stainless.jpg

Very handy for "certain" jobs ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

..............These .22s dont have that look ... alls well .. its non restricted

:eek: You have got to be joking :confused:

I hafta say that the OP's original choice look very, uh, black. Checking with my FEO this morning [a VERY friendly and helpful gentleman he is too] has shown that there has not been even one recorded criminal use of ANY firearm that looks like this, no matter if it be rimfire or centre-fire [yes we DO have centre-fire stuff that looks like this - see note at the end of this drivel] since records began here in UK.

My pal Dave has half a dozen of the centre-fire rifles of similar appearance, in different calibres of course - all tricked out to look absolutely ludicrous, with the four 'Ls' - lights, lamps, levels and lasers, as well as bipods, monopods and optical and non-optical sights, back-to-back magazines, muzzle-brakes on some, moderators on others - a total hoot to shoot, as well.

And that, gentlemen, is what it's all about, isn't it?

It's good to know that your have the rimfire stuff, even though they are restricted in ways I find hard to comprehend.

For what WE get up to - have a look at -

http://www.bradleyarms.com/ [another Irishman, BTW]

http://www.southern-gun.co.uk/ [not an Irishman]

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭GreatGayHunter

Sorted So....If I get a 10/22 for €100-€150 and order the below:

Nordic Components AR22 Stock Kit complete with Nordic Components Hand Guard, 6-Position Adjustable Butt Stock, Trigger Guard Gap Filler, and AR Hand Grip. All hardware included to convert your Ruger 10/22 into an AR-style rifle. Mid-length or rifle-length hand guard available. No modifications necessary - bolts right on!

and a few etrxa parts from

I could have a sweet ride.

Next ?? do I need to apply for an export license for the Nordic Components, as has been suggested by another UK Supplier??

Then after all that, I'll be shunned on the Range as been a weekend Rambo / Goth with an Assault Rifle……Bla,Bla,Bla
    Wait a minute!!!!! It’s a RIFLE range the last time I checked……
    What to do, what to do,
    So Mr http://www.bradleyarms.com/ [another Irishman, BTW], can we sort some thing out??

G.G.H.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Er, GGH, if you do that you'll technically be going from an unrestricted firearm to a restricted one, so you'd need to change your licence accordingly. It's a stupid law, but unfortunately it's the second word there that you have to worry about :(

• Advertisement

Rifles like the ones in the OP? Yeah, they look like assault rifles. It's as simple as that. You can argue about different sizes or weights and other small details, but simply put, you'd get crucified in any court in the country if you tried to argue that it didn't really resemble an assault rifle on those grounds.

You cant get cursified in a court if you know what your talkina about. There is no neew for a firearm like this to go to court in the first place but IF in the event one was to find themselves in that situation you make your case with the FACTS:

1.You describe the definition of an "assault rifle" clearly stating the obvious that the .22 being purchared does not have the FA capability.

2. If yout applyin as a non restricted firearm that the mag has been plugged to 10 max.

3. Not only is the rifle externally different internally its a complete galaxy away from what an "assault rifle" would look like.

What would happen if a shooter couldnt use a straighter stock on his 10/22 with a 5 round mag because of eg arthritis ... Are you saying that the rifle is restricted ???

Sorry but its not !

Ruger1022Stainless.jpg

Very handy for "certain" jobs ;)

Yep tricked out 10/22s or semi auto .22s are great fun....

Yes people I said fun ... we are allowed to have fun as long as its responsible !

That tac would be resiticted unless you had the magazing plugged.
    :eek: You have got to be joking :confused:

Nope.. Im serious.... :)

Thats my opininon as an Armourer !
    Sorted So....If I get a 10/22 for €100-€150 and order the below:

Nordic Components AR22 Stock Kit complete with Nordic Components Hand Guard, 6-Position Adjustable Butt Stock, Trigger Guard Gap Filler, and AR Hand Grip. All hardware included to convert your Ruger 10/22 into an AR-style rifle. Mid-length or rifle-length hand guard available. No modifications necessary - bolts right on!

and a few etrxa parts from

I could have a sweet ride.

Next ?? do I need to apply for an export license for the Nordic Components, as has been suggested by another UK Supplier??

Then after all that, I'll be shunned on the Range as been a weekend Rambo / Goth with an Assault Rifle……Bla,Bla,Bla
    Wait a minute!!!!! It’s a RIFLE range the last time I checked……
    What to do, what to do,
    So Mr http://www.bradleyarms.com/ [another Irishman, BTW], can we sort some thing out??

G.G.H.

Er .... you lost me on that 1 but if its registered as a non restricted rifle so long as its not a high cap mag or a bullpup shock you put on ... you can put a picatinny mounted microwave if you like !

You cant get cursified in a court if you know what your talkina about. There is no neew for a firearm like this to go to court in the first place but IF in the event one was to find themselves in that situation you make your case with the FACTS:

1.You describe the definition of an "assault rifle" clearly stating the obvious that the .22 being purchared does not have the FA capability.

2. If yout applyin as a non restricted firearm that the mag has been plugged to 10 max.

3. Not only is the rifle externally different internally its a complete galaxy away from what an "assault rifle" would look like.

What would happen if a shooter couldnt use a straighter stock on his 10/22 with a 5 round mag because of eg arthritis ... Are you saying that the rifle is restricted ???

1. It still resembles it.

2. Irrelevant if in the opinion of the court it resembles an assault rifle.

3. Want to bet the court is going to see the distinction?

And to the last part, yes, it is, but that would be a reason to license the restricted firearm, as you've proven that an unrestricted firearm is not a suitable firearm for the individual and their purpose. Look, those tactical looking .22 semis are restricted, make no bones about it. If you want clarification, go down to your chief super (who is of course the arbiter in your case), hand them a copy of the legislation with that section highlighted and show them the rifle and ask them whether in their opinion it's unrestricted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

Since i do not have the 10/22 anymore it's a non issue.

I had 3 x25 round mags, a speed loader and endless supplies of cci stingers at the time.

But accurate range was poor. ~1" at 50 yards was the norm.

Just wondering would this be restricted, as it looks pretty, not military :D
    Sorry pic to big to show

http://www.jimsgunsupply.com/DuraCoat/dc/DuraCoat_PINK_AR_SIGHT_OVERCROP_030808.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭firefly08

These .22s dont have that look
    its a complete galaxy away from what an "assault rifle" would look like.

I'm curious to know what an "assault rifle" looks like in your opinion - can you post a pic or a link?

1. It still resembles it.

2. Irrelevant if in the opinion of the court it resembles an assault rifle.

3. Want to bet the court is going to see the distinction?

And to the last part, yes, it is, but that would be a reason to license the restricted firearm, as you've proven that an unrestricted firearm is not a suitable firearm for the individual and their purpose. Look, those tactical looking .22 semis are restricted, make no bones about it. If you want clarification, go down to your chief super (who is of course the arbiter in your case), hand them a copy of the legislation with that section highlighted and show them the rifle and ask them whether in their opinion it's unrestricted.

In the interest of fairnesss to the OP and to keep the thread on topic I will respond with a pm. Should however any1 feel the want to continue the off topic then be all means start a new post.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

It'd be restricted allright, it's a semiauto centerfire according to the website...

Sorry pic to big to show

http://www.jimsgunsupply.com/DuraCoat/dc/DuraCoat_PINK_AR_SIGHT_OVERCROP_030808.jpg

:eek::eek:GAHHHH! My EYES,My Eyes!! They Burn!!The pain! The pain!!

Go away and put a Health Warning on that would you???:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

I recently purchased a 10/22 deluxe, which is great fun, a hoot to shoot, a dinger on wabbits and has less recdoil than a shotgun but similiar groupings:rolleyes:. Any tricking i've done is internal, oh I did by a holo sight for it (I dont know why it was an impulse buy:o).

I actually wouldnt be into the mean black looking wanna buy an m4 but....IMO its like trying to get a 1995 1.1 Ford fiesta to look and sound like a subaru.:D

Love the 10/22 rifle for what it is.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

You cant get cursified in a court if you know what your talkina about.

You obviously don't have much experience of any legal systems so :D
    Thats my opininon as an Armourer !

Some poor lad gets caught with a tricked out AR 15 looking 10/22 and ends up in court. Gardai say the rifle is restricted and he has an unrestricted licence. Lads defence.............my armourer says it OK despite what you legal eagles think :)

I can see a judge being really impressed with that answer :)

gunhappy I think the piece you need to focus on is the reference to the resemblence of a rifle to an assault rifle part of the description. That's loose enough to cover everything from the "I don't like the look of that" Garda response to the actual .22 clones & copies of actual full bore "assault rifles". It's like being arrested by the Gardai for a "breech of the peace". If they can get ya for nothing else they'll get ya on that.

• Advertisement

You obviously don't have much experience of any legal systems so :D

In fairness BS he does! I wouldnt have used him otherwise.;):D

gunhappy I think the piece you need to focus on is the reference to the resemblence of a rifle to an assault rifle part of the description. That's loose enough to cover everything from the "I don't like the look of that" Garda response to the actual .22 clones & copies of actual full bore "assault rifles". It's like being arrested by the Gardai for a "breech of the peace". If they can get ya for nothing else they'll get ya on that

Trouble is..What DOES an actual "assault rifle " look like?????;)
    This is too general a term.Its like saying a "tractor" in the famous Revenue Vs converted Toyota Hi lux in the 1980s.
    We all know what a tractor looks like in common everyday parlance ,a mucky yoke on a farm with two big wheels and two smaller ones in the front.BUT the law hasnt got a defination of it being of that description.
    So a farmer converted a hilux with balloon tyres,mounted a boom sprayer permantly on the back bed and used it for a low pressure ground sprayer.Reason he wanted this was as an his fields were miles apart it was a quicker and more efficent way of spraying multiple fields of wheat,and because he was proably poor too:rolleyes:.Sure enough Revenue got hold of it and charged him with using green diesel in a non agricultural vechicle.However it was sucessfully argued that as there is NO clear defination of what an agricultural tractor is in law,the case was found for the defence.Pointing out als that it had been converted permantly,was a two seater vechicle,and would nowadays be taxed as a "plant vechicle"

So unless there is a clear defination as to what an "assault rifle" looks like in Irish law,this is very wide open again.The Garda guidelines and whatnot go on about "features" and mag capacity.But they DO NOT define EXACTLY what it is.
    TBH the easiest out of this is, stick a thumbhole stock on it,no defination of those under Irish law as to their exact dimensions,or what they are.;),and for high cap, buy a bunch of ten rounders and a roll of duct tape.

Also as some new accurate bolt action rifles have folding stocks and are more accurate according to the gist of the Garda guidelines.They should also be restricted,as no doubt they are super accurate and more therefore deadly in a more compact package.Not to mind they have pistol grips too.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Advertisement