Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with Wireless Networking

Options
  • 05-10-2010 4:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,
    Hoping you can help someone with basic networking knowledge (and that's being kind).

I have vodafone dsl (7mb) with vodafone wireless router in the hall.
    I need to connect two devices (a dreambox and a hd media player) for networking/hd streaming that are only 15ft away but can't (not allowed!) bring in cables and they are not wireless compatible.

Am I right in thinking I need a wireless ethernet bridge? I know ethernet over power is another option (would need 3 adaptors I gather).

Which would provide best bandwidth and if the bridge could you recommend a cheap/stable one?

For example would this be an option http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/2623683/art/d-link/dap-1522-wireless-n-duo-e.html#tech-specs

Is there much involved in setting up one up _ I assume I'll have to change IP settings?

Thxs folks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭JDxtra

I would opt for Ethernet over power (Home Plug). If it works, it can work really well. In my experience it proved very reliable for media streaming - even when compared to a wireless N connection.

You can get Home Plug adapters with multiple Ethernet ports, so you only need two adapters in total. They are also plug and play - no configuration required.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭Iron Hide

If a bridge is what your looking for then i'd go for a LinkSys one, they're made by Cisco, get them in PC World. Theres 3 or 4 different ones depending on how heavy your usage is.

Advertisement