Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dangerous to give out bank details?

Options
  • 05-10-2010 4:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭

if your bank details i.e. bank account number, sorting code, branch etc get in the wrong hands is it dangerous? or is there nothing anybody can do with these details other than give u money? they cant take money can they?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

to withdraw money, you need your bank card and pin, or valid I.D. to withdraw from an account at the counter. There's not a whole lot you can do with just the basic details other than deposit.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,651 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

BoB_BoT wrote: »
    to withdraw money, you need your bank card and pin, or valid I.D. to withdraw from an account at the counter. There's not a whole lot you can do with just the basic details other than deposit.

Tell that Jeremy Clarkson.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

oh yeah, forgot about that. But don't they need your signature over here to setup a direct debit?

Also in that case, you can claim that you did not authorise that transfer and you demand your money back. Direct debits are also fully traceable and costly to setup :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭NuMarvel

BoB_BoT wrote: »
    oh yeah, forgot about that. But don't they need your signature over here to setup a direct debit?

Also in that case, you can claim that you did not authorise that transfer and you demand your money back. Direct debits are also fully traceable and costly to setup :P

Nope. Paperless direct debits are a common feature with service companies (insurance, communications, etc). The company get the details by telephone, and subsequently make a presentation to the bank with some sort of marker that indicates it was a paperless direct debit (that's why you'll see O/P next to some direct debits on your bank statements).

Strictly speaking, the service company should have procedures in place to verify you are who you say you are and that the account is yours. usually this takes the form of call recording, but I'm not sure how often banks verify this with companies.

Advertisement