Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stressed dog.

Options
  • 05-10-2010 4:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭

I have a 4 yr old Jack Russell, who seems completely out of sorts since our other dog died.
    I'm very worried for him. He would usually eat anything that wasn't nailed down but has not touched his food in almost a week. He has lost weight and while this is no bad thing at the moment (this dog needs weightwatchers) I'm scared he's going to get very ill and it's clear that he is pining.

Our other dog was the only dog he liked. I can't even describe how much he hates all other dogs, so socializing him I feel is going to stress him out more.

He whines for no reason, doesn't want to go for walks and doesn't want to get into my bed.

If all this stress isn't enough, we got a kitten last week, 13 weeks old, who is seriously asserting herself. She is facinated with the dog but he's clearly unimpressed.

He's so out of sorts but the not eating situation is worrying me most. Any advice?

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shanao

The best thing to do is give him time. A friend of mine had two st bernards and when one died, the other went off her food like that for over a week. I would just give him time for the moment and try him with small bits of food every now and again.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

The dog is missing his companion, pretty much the same way you miss somebody who has died.

Give him time to come to terms with his pal being gone, and maybe try make a bit more of a fuss of him to make him feel special. Just be careful if you have a few other dogs incase they become jealous of him and make matters worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭Storminateacup

Thanks guys. I just have him, and the naughty kitten.
    I've been trying to make an extra fuss about him but tbh I don't know how to deal with him. He enjoys spins in the car, and will come to bed with me at night but he's whining all the time and no amount of petting him makes him feel better.

Today I tried him with some of our dinner, and he ate the chicken but wouldn't touch anything else.

I got natural pills from the vet to soothe an anxious dog. It's not actual medication but herbal. Does anyone know anything about it? If it would help i would give it to him but the last thing I'd wanna do is "numb" him, if that makes any sense. :/

Also, would I be better off keeping the kitten away from him or is some company better than no company

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Shazanne

O my God that is heartbreaking:( The poor little dog. I truly wish I could offer you some advice, I really do. Did he see his little pal after he had passed away? It is reckoned that it is good for an animal to see and smell the deceased companion and it brings closure for them. I know that's not much use to you you now if he didn't.
    All I can suggest to you is what you are doing - lots of TLC and patience. I really hope he begins to feel better soon. Please, please let us know how he is doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Meteoric

I'm so sorry for your situation, it is heartbreaking when it happens (speaking from situations other friends have been in with their dogs, I've been lucky in this regard)
    On the plus side all of the dogs have got through it.
    As a human, when I found out a friend was dying food tasted like ashes in my mouth, I know it's a cliche, but it actually did, I had to force myself to eat once a day, more than that was unthinkable and It was just my rational mind saying EAT!!!!! my body didn't want it. My grief was just too much, dogs are not able to persuade themselves to eat.
    A family members dog had been adopted when there was another dog already there and they got to be the best of friends, she was not upset when the original dog died, but then when they got a puppy that got poisoned and died she went into a decline, no eating and looking for him every morning (though a very old dog at this stage) but got through it and was delighted with the replacement pup and lived to a very advanced age.
    For what it's worth using the pills for a little while may help take the edge off the grief for your dog, they are not like us once they can forget it is over they tend to be ok. They live in the now, the past is gone unless they are reminded.
    What I would say is give it a while, see can the dog get over it by themselves, if they can't try the pills for like a week and try clean everything to reduce the smell of the other dog, actually maybe do that now if you can, wash bedding etc.
    Best of luck and sorry for your loss.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭suziwalsh

I am so sorry about your situation and I wish you the best.

I know its too late for you know but for others....its believed (I haven't been in the situation myself) that it is easier for an animal to cope with the loss of a companion if they are allowed to see and smell the animal that has passed away so they understand rather than just a disappearance.

Also you will be sad about your other dog passing and he might also pick up on your emotions.

I think that what you are doing is right and just give him time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

I agree with the others, give both yourself and your other dog time.
    suziwalsh wrote: »
    ....its believed (I haven't been in the situation myself) that it is easier for an animal to cope with the loss of a companion if they are allowed to see and smell the animal that has passed away so they understand rather than just a disappearance.

This is true, when I had to put my old dog down I brought her back to the house and let my other dogs see her. They came in to greet her as usual but stopped dead about 3 feet away, crept up to her and sniffed her, then backed away and didn't go back to her. They were ok afterwards, I think they definitely knew she was gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

This is true, when I had to put my old dog down I brought her back to the house and let my other dogs see her. They came in to greet her as usual but stopped dead about 3 feet away, crept up to her and sniffed her, then backed away and didn't go back to her. They were ok afterwards, I think they definitely knew she was gone.

OMG!!!! :(:(:(:(:( This thread was sad enough but this has made me cry at my desk in work! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Angelmangle

Maybe try one of the bach flower remedies for him. Star of Bethlehem is is to help cope with shock, loss and grief. I have used bach remedies before on dogs, horses and myself and I think they are great. I always carry a bottle of Rescue Remedy in my bag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭Storminateacup

The death thing is interesting. About 5 years ago my mother had two JR's. One got killed by a car and my mother put the body in the garage until my dad came home to bury it, and the other JR sat right outside the garage door, for ages afterwards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

If at all possible, I've always let our dogs see the dog who has died so that they can see what happened them. It makes it easier for them. We did the same thing when a family member died recently, too. We let each of the dogs in to see their body so that they could understand that the person hadn't abandoned them. It also helped them realise why things were 'strange' at home, and they actually began to comfort us when they knew why we were so upset.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Shazanne

tk123 wrote: »
    OMG!!!! :(:(:(:(:( This thread was sad enough but this has made me cry at my desk in work! :(

Me too:( Although thankfully I am not at work. My heart is breaking.

Advertisement