Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom

• 05-10-2010 4:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi all

Im having an issue with speeds on my eircom broadband. I only recently upgraded to 7mb from 3mb. when it was upgraded the router settings changed to 7196/384 but last night the settings had changed to 6398/384 and at this moment the settings are down to 4256/384 anybody know why this is?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,441 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Dasd1 wrote: »
    Hi all

Im having an issue with speeds on my eircom broadband. I only recently upgraded to 7mb from 3mb. when it was upgraded the router settings changed to 7196/384 but last night the settings had changed to 6398/384 and at this moment the settings are down to 4256/384 anybody know why this is?

Those aren't normal packages values, so most likely they're a response to degrading line conditions. Post your line stats from the modem and we can tell more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

More than likely your line can't handle the new speed, hence the slowly decaying sync value. If the line quality is low, then you'll probably have to go back to 3Mbps, unless you can find a speed that the modem stays synced at.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 915 ✭✭✭stuff.hunter

.... try to reset router

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Dasd1

Downstream Upstream
    Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 4256 384
    SN Margin (dB) 6.00 6.00
    Line Attenuation (dB) 39.50 21.00
    CRC Errors 5 6

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,441 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Dasd1 wrote: »
    Downstream Upstream
    Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 4256 384
    SN Margin (dB) 6.00 6.00
    Line Attenuation (dB) 39.50 21.00
    CRC Errors 5 6

The line attenuation is enough for the 7 megs (though only barely). The problem is the poor SN margin. 6dB is too low, you want it to about 10 dB and up ideally. As a result you're exposed to lower sync rates, line noise (the CRC errors) and line drops. Try power cycling the router, and remove any faxes/phones/sky boxes/long phone cables from the connections in your house and try again.

• Advertisement

Had the exact same problem when i was with Eircom.
    The most my line could handle in the end was 5126/512 or something similar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Dasd1

So i did the reset of the router and its back up to normal. The line is capable of about 6.5mb off peak which is fine. but its desperate slow in peak times. obviously the contention on the line is high. Just waiting really now for ngb which should rectify that.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,702 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Spear--you seem to know your stuff regarding line attenuation etc.

Hate to hijack a thread but heres mine.

Speed
    6144/512 (kbps)
    Line Attenuation
    37/21 dB

What you reckon??

You know the probs Im having with NGB(changing to UPC on Saturday) but Im refusing to pay Eircon after their upgrade to NGB has made my life a misery-Lucky if I get 2mb(usually 0.5-1.3) after 6.00pm and pings as high as 150-200 wheras before the "upgrade" I was getting 6.5mb and pings of 35 max to most servers(on a 7mb connection).They tell me Im capable of 11mb but I cant see it.

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Spear--you seem to know your stuff regarding line attenuation etc.

Hate to hijack a thread but heres mine.

Speed
    6144/512 (kbps)
    Line Attenuation
    37/21 dB

What you reckon??

You know the probs Im having with NGB(changing to UPC on Saturday) but Im refusing to pay Eircon after their upgrade to NGB has made my life a misery-Lucky if I get 2mb(usually 0.5-1.3) after 6.00pm and pings as high as 150-200 wheras before the "upgrade" I was getting 6.5mb and pings of 35 max to most servers(on a 7mb connection).They tell me Im capable of 11mb but I cant see it.

Any semblance of competence is misleading. I just use http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/max_speed_calc.php as a guide.

You'd get close to 11meg, but only an ADSL2+ service. But close to 7 is about the max you'll get on ADSL1. What's the SNR margin like?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,702 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Spear wrote: »
    . What's the SNR margin like?

Line State Up
    Modulation DMT
    Data Path Interleave

Downstream Upstream
    Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 6144 512
    SN Margin (dB) 12.00 22.00
    Line Attenuation (dB) 37.50 21.00
    CRC Errors 0 1

Bear in mind that my speeds were 7168/384 befor ethe upgrade.

• Advertisement

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Line State Up
    Modulation DMT
    Data Path Interleave

Downstream Upstream
    Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 6144 512
    SN Margin (dB) 12.00 22.00
    Line Attenuation (dB) 37.50 21.00
    CRC Errors 0 1

Bear in mind that my speeds were 7168/384 befor ethe upgrade.

You're currently set for a 6 meg package from the looks of that. The SNR should be enough for the 7.2 meg package. Wouldn't hurt to check with Eircom what package they've set you on.

Spear wrote: »
    You're currently set for a 6 meg package from the looks of that. The SNR should be enough for the 7.2 meg package. Wouldn't hurt to check with Eircom what package they've set you on.

I was on the 7.2mb package.

Prior to August 26th I was on 7168/384--Connection rock solid,fast pings,fast download speed of 705-715kbs.

Then the NGB upgrade was 8168/512 and connection went to crap.

Speeds dropped,pings went up connection kept dropping.

They put me on 7168/512 after me spending 2 hours onto tech support--Still dropping,slow speeds,high pings.

6144/512 is what they found was the most stable--I say that with tongue in cheek.
    So now Im even on a slower speed than I had before the upgrade to NGB which is why Im leaving them--Its with the engineers since 21st September and still no joy.

This is my 8mb connection tonight.Seriously pissed off.

982027401.png

Ouch, if that were a 3mb connection i'd be pissed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭brophs

Hi,

We were upgraded to the 8mb (from 3mb) recently (albeit we were told our line could handle 6mb by Eircom support and 7mb by the engineer who visited) and after a few teething problems an engineer came out and sorted whatever issue there was. For the last few weeks we've had a solid 6144/512 and the download speeds have been good.

The last few days the speeds have been dropping a bit and on the router homepage I am seeing either 5408/512 or just above 4000/512. When I flick the on/off switch on the router it seems to settle back at 6144/512. Bear in mind the engineer on site assured us our line could handle 7 mb (though they seem to have restricted us to 6 mb).

Any ideas before I ring Eircom? We have the old Netopia router. Could that be an issue or is it solely down to the line?

Advertisement