Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Commuting Cost Waterford to Kilkenny??

• 05-10-2010 5:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭

Apologies if this is in the wrong forum, mods feel free to move if so :)

I'm just wondering if anyone would have a rough idea of the cost of the petrol it would take to commute from Waterford to Kilkenny over the Mon - Fri week. I'm looking at a job up there but its pretty low wage (just above minimum) so between that and the weekly parking I'm just wondering is it worth my while. The car is a 1.0 litre (dont know if that makes any diff!!) Thanks all :o

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Assuming it's 35/39 hour week against the dole I'd imagine itbwould be more then worth your while. In sure one of the lads on here travel it though so we'll see.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭billiejosie

Cheers ziedth, just between moving out and that, just want to make sure I have enough left over at the end of the week after travel costs aswell!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 502 ✭✭✭sarah88

hey i travel from waterford to kilkenny 2 days a week, i drive a 1.5l and it costs me less then 10e per day(but my car tends to drink petrol!!), so with a 1.0 it will be a bit less, parking is fairly cheap compared to waterford, theres a car park behind the cimema which is 2e a day, u wil get parking there if your there early think it fills up after 8.40 or at the side of the street is 5e for 10 hours! so i think it'l def be worth your while ;)

Thanks sarah88 :) so it should be about 50euro a week, should be doable .....

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭gobo99

feckin waterford people taking all our jobs :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭SillyMcCarthy

Must be a first for moi!
    A Waterfordian going to Kilkenny for work!

Haha, believe me I never thought this day would come! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭O Riain

Train is 11.40 return and im sure if you get a weekly ticket it would work out less.
    Less hassle no need to be worryin about parkin and the likes!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sillymoo

How long does it take to drive between Kilkenny and Waterford and is it better to use the new motorway or the old road????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 502 ✭✭✭sarah88

sillymoo wrote: »
    How long does it take to drive between Kilkenny and Waterford and is it better to use the new motorway or the old road????

wel if you were in a rush you could do it in 30mins, but generally 40mins, id def use the new road its really handy....but thats only me:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭ikeano29

it's only a 15-20minute trip on the new road. well worth it.

15euro petrol would be enough for the week easy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭looder

ikeano29 wrote: »
    it's only a 15-20minute trip on the new road. well worth it.

15euro petrol would be enough for the week easy.
    15 euro for the week? I reckon you'll do it in a 1.0 for between €30 and €40 per week.

I drive a similar distance to KK and come on to the Motorway at Knocktopher and it costs approx €45 in a 1.3 litre per week.

Would it be possible for the OP to share costs by finding someone who's driving from Waterford to KK and taking turns driving up and down?

Even in a rush, it would take 35 to 40 mins from KK city to Waterford City. Possibly 15 - 20 minutes on the Motorway, but KK is 10 mins the other side of that and Waterford is 5-10 minutes away from it too.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

looder wrote: »
    15 euro for the week? I reckon you'll do it in a 1.0 for between €30 and €40 per week.

I drive a similar distance to KK and come on to the Motorway at Knocktopher and it costs approx €45 in a 1.3 litre per week.

I'm driving up and down each week in a 1.1 and its costing me about 45e, you'd never do it on 15e a week :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,433 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Apologies if this is in the wrong forum, mods feel free to move if so :)

I'm just wondering if anyone would have a rough idea of the cost of the petrol it would take to commute from Waterford to Kilkenny over the Mon - Fri week. I'm looking at a job up there but its pretty low wage (just above minimum) so between that and the weekly parking I'm just wondering is it worth my while. The car is a 1.0 litre (dont know if that makes any diff!!) Thanks all :o

I think I would go for the job regardless..once you're in a job it's easier get another, maybe better paying one. 40-50 euro sounds about right and new road makes life infinitely easier now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭wobbles

Rent in kilkenny is cheaper so if you have no commitments in waterford, it might be another option. A friend up there is renting for 60e per week with all bills included. While its a bit more expensive, it will save a lot of effort driving up and down

Thanks everyone, it definately sounds a lot more doable than I thought originally, worth going for so :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,433 ✭✭✭✭road_high

wobbles wrote: »
    Rent in kilkenny is cheaper so if you have no commitments in waterford, it might be another option. A friend up there is renting for 60e per week with all bills included. While its a bit more expensive, it will save a lot of effort driving up and down

Bloody hell are ya sure? Must be way out of town or something with bills included...

Advertisement