Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RAID 0 swap

Options
  • 05-10-2010 5:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭

I have a dual HDD enclosure at the moment with 2x2tb drives running in RAID 0 (Stripe).

I want to switch to a NAS, I want to just swap out the drives from my current enclosure and put in the new NAS.

My question is: will I need to format the hard drives before the new NAS will allow RAID 0 or will I be able to swap them out and keep all my data intact? I have nowhere to backup the 3.5tb of data on the hard drives already so if I do need to format them it will be a big problem :/
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭ronkmonster

Probably will need to format. Is the nas box the same brand as the enclosure. If so, it would be more likely to just work.

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Jakmeehan

Probably will need to format. Is the nas box the same brand as the enclosure. If so, it would be more likely to just work.
    Thanks for the quick reply. Unfortunately, they are not the same make :(

Enclosure: Startech SAT3520U2ER
    NAS: Netgear Stora MS2000

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭ronkmonster

I'd assume that the raid setup is specific to a brand or even a device.
    You could try put it in and see, if no one else thinks otherwise

I'd assume that the raid setup is specific to a brand or even a device.
    You could try put it in and see, if no one else thinks otherwise
    According to StarTech support if the chipset in the NAS is the same as in the nclosure it should be fine.

Anyone any idea if these two devices use the same chipset?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

Hard to tell, you can get to different revisions of chipsets embedded in what is sold as the same model by the manufacturer.

Also as a word of warning RAID 0 give you ZERO protection....
    If EITHER of your drives die or get corrupted you will lose EVERYTHING from BOTH drives.
    Jakmeehan wrote: »
    According to StarTech support if the chipset in the NAS is the same as in the nclosure it should be fine.

Anyone any idea if these two devices use the same chipset?

• Advertisement

Hard to tell, you can get to different revisions of chipsets embedded in what is sold as the same model by the manufacturer.

Also as a word of warning RAID 0 give you ZERO protection....
    If EITHER of your drives die or get corrupted you will lose EVERYTHING from BOTH drives.
    I know but I need the capacity of RAID 0 but can't afford backup drives at the moment... I won't be using the drives heavily until I do have a backup though

Thanks for the advice tho

• Registered Users Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭corkcomp

i doubt it would work tbh, you will most likely need to initialise the disks in the nas enclosure and doing so will erase all the data.. safer to backup - initialise and re create in nas and copy the data back.. if you can stretch to a 3rd drive raid 5 would be good option

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

I can't be certain but most likely you have formatted the hard drive as a NTFS volume and the NAS is most likely an embedded linux box and will want to use ext3 on the hard drives. With your current setup there is absolutely no way around needing 4TB of storage before you migrate over. Best case if you just put the disks in is that the NAS does nothing to them, its entirely possible that it might just try to initialize them then and there and you lose all your data.

About all I can suggest is if your aim is to have some sort of NAS and you don't already have the Netgear NAS (or if it runs linux (which I'd be surprised if it doesn't) and has ssh running - or maybe it can support this natively) is to buy something like the sheevaplug and then use that together with the USB enclosure as your NAS. I don't know what the performance would be like on that though.

Advertisement